Solved Year In Review: Controlling Scroll Effects

Discussion in 'Templates' started by Chuck Nigash, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck Nigash

Chuck Nigash Active Member

I have gone back & forth — from your template demo & tutorial to the template I downloaded and dumping text and images into. I cannot find any scroll effects checked in the downloaded template. But nevertheless, there are parallax fx going on, and I can't seem to find where to adjust these. There is nothing checked in the Scroll Effects panel on the original.

A second question: I imported my own logo and pinned it at the top along with the same hyperlink where the 2017 and paw logo is. I matched your params. But when I export and resize the page — or click on the fluid width sizes in Muse, the logo flies around the page anywhere it wants. How can I make it behave? I have matched your settings.

Thanks so much. I am using the latest release of Muse 2018.

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Chuck, to your first question, the scroll effects in Muse are in two locations. One is, the scroll effects panel, and the other is in the Fill panel (at the top of Muse). This is where the effects I believe you are looking for are.
    As for the Logo issue, without more info this is a bit tougher.
    I'm not sure what you have (or have not) changed. Possibly a few screen shots of your layout in Muse (with the Group selected) would help.
    Make sure you look at the Logo area as a group when looking at the pinning, not just the text box and image.
    let me know
    Dj

3. Chuck Nigash

Rats! How did I miss that scroll tab in the Fill Panel? (I totally missed that). Thank you. Actually, it's a great, subtle tip, having motion fx in the fill panel.

As for the Logo flopping around, I will try grouping it to something else. I drew an empty text box and grouped/pinned but it it's still has a mind of its own when trying other responsive page values. And, in fact, that's how the template came. I matched it. But I'll keep trying.

4. Chuck Nigash

Interesting. What is really throwing off the position of the Logo is the "responsive width" setting to the NAV menu items — when they expand, they knock out the position of the logo. The Year In Review template also suffers this, just to a lesser degree. DJ, what would be a good workflow / tip to this?

5. Chuck Nigash

DJ, I have fixed this. The template has two menus. I made into one. I made the middle text menu a fill of the image, a few padding tweaks and it ALL works until it reaches 550 pixels. ... I turned on visibility to see the menu at 550 and below.

Here is likely my final question: What's the best way to make this menu responsive at the smaller pixel windows? I dont seem to be able to get Scaling Text widget to make it shrink. Thanks so much

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  6. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Chuck, glad the scrolling issues is resolved.
    If I'm understanding your last question (and if I'm not, please bare with me), there is a couple of things you can try.
    You could build your Menu manually, using text boxes and links to your anchor points. This would allow you to place your Menu items anywhere you'd like.
    You could do what most do that want a Menu at smaller breakpoints, and that would be add something like an Accordion or possibly one of our widgets for the Mobile sizes.
    Personally, I like the Mobile BP's not having a Menu when on a long scrolling page, mainly because when I'm on my Mobile I'd rather scroll than push buttons. Just my personal preference.
    Hope this helps
    Dj

7. Chuck Nigash

Yeah, know what? I agree with you. I think that's why the MT team turned those off at those breakpoints. Good for future....

Now to master using some subtitles and Scaling Text. This appears straight forward, but all my logic and understanding for "vw" control doesn't shrink as I'd have it — at some junctures, it even disappears so I have some digging. Perhaps when using scaling text, certain other responsive params should be turned off. Reading docs for that...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.