Wizard type dynamic navigation....

Discussion in 'All Other Widgets' started by marcelt, Aug 30, 2017.

1. marcelt

marcelt Active Member

I'm looking for some guidance on how to achieve a particular effect in Muse.

In a nutshell I'm trying to create a wizard like navigation system without ever leaving the page I'm on.

See my navigation flow below. Assume that the black boxes is the main content container, and the circles are the navigation. I'd like to have the navigation within the main container, change the container contents itself. I've preformed similar tricks in the past using overlays (composition widgets) but this approach limits how many layers deep I can go.

[​IMG]

The main reason I need to do this without flipping pages is since I'm trying to contain it within a modal, which itself is already a composition widget.

Tabs can't work since the navigation is outside the content container.

Any thoughts? Maybe there's already a widget for this I'm missing?

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

marcelt, is there a web site you might have seen with what you are describing?
    Or maybe, a bit more of a description.
    Thanks
    Dj

3. Jeremei

Jeremei Well-Known Member

Marcel!
    I am not 100% sure what you are looking for but I guess that you want to use new composition widget both as a menu and as a content holder. You don´t want to go away from the landing / home page?

I played a little bit with the new composition widget in breakpoint 960 px (fluid) but I did not go so far as you showed in your post. Anyway here is the result which is only a little surface scratch what we can achieve with the new composition widget.
    http://composition-widget-test-1.businesscatalyst.com/

Marcel, in my opinion you can achieve your target, at least very near, if you have energy and time to make more tests with this new composition widget. I also assume that in principle it is possible to create the entire website (small one) by using only this composition widget. Imagination is the keyword! :)

4. marcelt

marcelt Active Member

@Jeremei
    My apologies, I was never notified of your post, I feel really bad since you made an example, and it's been over a month since I checked back :-(

Basically yes what you show is what I have in mind, except, I'd like buttons/controls/links to be within the content space, not separate.

For example, click on "LOREM IPSUM SID" from your home screen, and land on your about screen – click on "SID IPSUM LOREM" from your home screen, and land on your services screen. So on and so forth.

5. marcelt

marcelt Active Member

@DjHerold @Jeremei

FYI, I did some experimentation yesterday and figured out a way to accomplish my goal using one of the MT widgets. It's not elegant, but it seems to work. I've tested it 3 levels deep without problem.

Using Pop-up's Pro, I nested three levels of the widget, and used the button/graphic style for the subsequent popup as the graphic style for the current close button, which in effect cancels the current popup on close. I can switch from one popup to the next by putting the trigger with the popup itself. Finally to ensure accurate placement off the final popup, I had to select custom close button & named an unused graphic style (without actually placing said button). This ensures the "X" doesn't push the target down. Granted I could always create an actual close button, but this was just a test.

I assume if this works, I could go in infinite directions (eg 2abc, 3abc) and levels (4,5,6). It just proves alittle difficult to manage.

@DjHerold, Maybe your developers could work with this to develop a 'wizard popup(modal) widget'? I'm sure it would be in high demand!
    However, disappointingly, much like a wizard I attempted to make this flow work backward, by placing a button for the first popup on the second, but if failed to navigate :-(, so it's not truly wizard like. upload_2017-10-6_8-27-24.png
    upload_2017-10-6_8-31-49.png

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  6. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

marcelt, I can certainly pass your request onto the team.
    Thanks
    Dj