Solved What are Muse sites made of?

Discussion in 'General Muse' started by Jan Lewis, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan Lewis

Jan Lewis Member

Hi, I've been asked what Musetheme sites are built in. I answered Adobe Muse (!). My second guess would be html! Someone suggested it might be PHP? (What is PHP?) What's the correct answer, if it isn't a dumb question (I mean, it probably is but...)?

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Jan, my guess the person asking your question was looking to see if sites built in Muse were actually using code (Html, Css, Php ect) that most all websites are built with.
    I am assuming the question stems from the fact that Muse was marketed as a tool not requiring the "writing of code".
    This was truly meant to state that the builder (you and I) did not have to understand coding in order to design a website, and that the 'Program' would write the code for us.
    Our themes are built in Muse, letting the program code it but some have additional HTML and PHP language added for some advanced items. In Muse you can add html yourself, but most did not.
    As for what PHP is, I'll let you Google that one, there are a tom of quick videos explaining the basics of PHP. The short version, it's another style of server side programming language.
    Hope this helps
    Dj

3. Jan Lewis

Jan Lewis Member

Thanks Dj. So this is going back to my old 'fixing my responsive breakpoints' query as I didnt find anyone to take it on. A friend knows a developer and is going to ask if they can do it. So Muse uses it's own code? Would a developer need Muse to make changes? Would the code they see (when they view source) mean anything if they didnt know muse?
    This might be cheating as its sort of a separate question but I do struggle with making the responsive elements work at every possible size. Is there a bear minimum I can get away with to make it work on a tablet and mobile?

4. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Jan, if you export your site to HTML someone that knows coding should be able to work with the files.
    Muse outputs in HTML and CSS just like any site, but because it's program generated, the code sometimes is framed differently than a hand coded site, but nothing a coder can't deal with.\
    Ofcourse, using Muse makes it easier if you know Muse.
    Your question is a tough one, the rule of thumb has always been, add a break point when a page starts to break, not adding one for a specific device size. BUT, typical BP's are usually 1200, 960, 768 and 480.
    As in the beginning of Muse, you could always make an adaptive site, making a design for desktop, tablet and mobile. Then the code from Muse will provide the appropriate size the the device calling it up.
    Dj

5. Jan Lewis

Jan Lewis Member

They're both great answers - thank you so much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.