Solved Video - Self-host or External?

Discussion in 'General Muse' started by LukeJacksonDesign, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, this is really general and hopefully simple to answer question but I'm struggling to find solid answers elsewhere....

I see there are many video player widgets out there some which allow you to link to Youtube/Vimeo/etc and others that allow you to self-host and host your own video files but I'm wondering which is best for load speed and SEO?

I'd assume uploading to say, Youtube first would be better as the website visitor won't have to download the entire file size of the video when the page loads but could someone confirm whether this is the case? Also, in the case of self-hosted videos, does a visitor have to load all 3 video types (mp4, webm and ogg) or just the relevant one for their browser?

Thanks in advance,
    Luke

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Luke, video's like YouTube and Vimeo, that are essentially a query rather than a download, in my opinion are faster and less stress on your site.
    Although, I tend to use Dropbox for my video's and image hosting, the rule of thumb is that the Browser that your viewer is using, will call up the video file required (not all of them).
    Hopefully others can chime in, but I hope this answers a bit of your question.
    We also have some articles on our Blog area that talk about various Seo items and video, like this one https://www.muse-themes.com/blogs/news/75884292-using-video-in-your-adobe-muse-website

Dj

LukeJacksonDesign likes this.
  3. Thanks, your reply is really helpful

I'll try to stick with using Youtube/Vimeo for now as long as I can keep their branding on the video to a minimum!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.