Video Player AutoPlay?

Discussion in 'SHOW Responsive Video Suite' started by Tony B., Dec 22, 2016.

1. Tony B.

Tony B. Member

The Video Background feature appears to autoplay great but doesn't work great with IOS Mobile devices so I thought I would use the Video Player feature instead...that way if it didn't autoplay they could click it. But Video Player doesn't seem to have an autoplay setting? Is there an option to turn on autoplay? I have tested it with vimeo and youtube video is there but you have to hit the play to get it to start. Any help would be great. Thanks!

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Tony, unfortunately auto play isn't allowed (by the phone and carriers) with Mobile.
    It all stemmed from Data issues and users complaining their data was being used even thought they didn't request a video or other streaming.
    At this time we do not have a say in this issue. It's up to the Carriers.
    Dj

3. Tony B.

Tony B. Member

Correct - I am fine with mobile viewers clicking the play button...but I am referring to desktop viewing. Is there a setting to get it to autoplay for people viewing on the computer? When I view it in my browser (on my computer) I have to click the play button also to get it to play.

4. DjHerold

Tony, I'm sorry, I read that completly backwards.
    Unfortunately, there is no Autoplay feature for that player. We have an HTML5 video player that has both auto play and click to play. But not in the Show widget.
    Dj

5. DjHerold

Tony, as a side note, I was playing around with using the Show for the larger sized break points and placing a filled rectangle with the other player (with controls) in front of it at the smaller break point.
    Although not the best fix, it does do the job. Just an FYI.
    Thanks
    Dj

6. Tony B.

Tony B. Member

Cool - thanks. I will check out the HTML5 version. I am wanting it to be responsive so maybe I can get that part work as cool as the show widget is.

7. Tony B.

Tony B. Member

Aaah...The HTML 5 widget only works with self-hosting. I am trying to get autoplay with youtube or vimeo clips (to off-load that bandwidth). Hmmm.

8. Tony B.

Tony B. Member

9. DjHerold

Tony, I was doing some more testing with the Show widget. Try placing the Video player (because it has controls) in your lower break points.
    Be sure to check the Video player box in the tool set widget.
    Behind it place a rectangle filled with white and full page (or whatever color your page is).
    Hide both (the rectangle and the player NOT the Video tool set widget.
    in the other break points (right click ...hide in other breakpoints).
    I used the default you tube player and I think I got close to what your looking for.
    Let me know
    Dj

10. Tony B.

Tony B. Member

So put the background video for the larger breakpoint (since it auto plays) and use the video player for the smaller breakpoint (mobile)? I will try that. So to summarize:
    1) Background video autoplays for youtube (but not on mobile) and is limited to the background.
    2) Videoplayer does not autoplay (for anything) but is not limited to background element.

So what I think is missing (and would love in the future) is a responsive Videoplayer (youtube/vimeo) with a checkbox in the widget for autoplay. That way on computers it will autoplay and for mobile (where it won't autoplay due to mobile limitation) they can just click the player button.

11. DjHerold

Tony, good suggestion, I'll pass it along
    Dj