Unexpected Image Placeholder Behaviour - Pioneer Dark

Discussion in 'Templates' started by Owen Vachell, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Owen Vachell

Owen Vachell Member

I've right clicked to 'replace image' in each of the 3 image placeholders under the 'Recent Work' heading but in the preview they don't behave the same way as the unedited template.

My images are staying the original size as they are in the 'Design' view and they also off-centre to the left.

Any ideas?

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Owen, could you post a couple of screen shots on the issue? It would help to see what you finding.
    Thanks
    Dj

3. Owen Vachell

Owen Vachell Member

Hi

Please find screen shot attached as requested. It shows the full width of my screen.
    Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 08.20.17.png

4. DjHerold

Owen, did you re size your images to 540x400?
    Dj

5. Owen Vachell

Owen Vachell Member

Yeah I tried them at the recommended resolution as well as 1024 px on the longest edge

6. DjHerold

Owen, not sure what is happening, I inserted a new image after re sizing it to 540x400, and everything lines up great. Even the scaling worked as it should.
    Is there anything more you can tell me about what you've done (or changed on the template).
    Dj

7. Owen Vachell

Owen Vachell Member

I thought it may have been something I did so I went back to the original and changed only the photos. Left everything else as is and got the same result.

8. Owen Vachell

Owen Vachell Member

As I was so keen to download the template I didn't notice the tutorial underneath it.

I went to view the tutorial and it says to 'edit original' instead of 'replace image'. So I started fresh and followed those instructions and got the same result as before.

The other thing is that in the template it's the same image repeated 3 times so there's no problem having the same file name. If I 'edit original' and change the file name when I save it, the image isn't updated in the place holder. If I keep the file name the same as it is in the template the image updates but is the same in each place holder which obviously isn't something I want.

9. Owen Vachell

Owen Vachell Member

I've managed to fix the scaling issue by dragging and dropping instead of how the tutorial suggests. However the images look pixelated when previewed and there's a white line at the bottom of the image.

I've selected 'Fit Frame Proportionally' to see if that helps but it doesn't. Then I tried 'Fit Content Proportionally' but that just resulted in the previous scaling issues.

I've read another thread about the pixelation and that this may be a Muse issue so I was wondering if you know any more about this?
    http://forum.musethemes.com/threads/image-optimization-for-pioneer.539/

Here's how it currently looks:

Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 12.59.59.png

10. Owen Vachell

Owen Vachell Member

Sorry for the bombardment of messages! I probably should have done all my testing and then let you know what I found in a single message.

I've just scaled each image down a nudge from the bottom. The white line isn't there anymore and the images retain their scaling function in the preview.

So now it's just the pixelation issue that remains. I will search for any news I can about the issue but if you have heard anything since your last past in the thread mentioned above it would be greatly appreciated if you could let me know.

Thank you for your time.

11. DjHerold

Owen, looked at your file, unfortunately, since you've modified the images I can't use the suggested 'edit original', when right clicking.
    Since I have heard of Muse having pixelization issues before, I would really recommend this approach (as discussed in the video).
    I know you've probably done everything I'm about to suggest, but just in case......let me explain how I modify this template.
    First, as suggested in the video I right click and choose 'edit original' (this gets me the size I should be dealing with).
    This will bring up my image editor (in my case Photoshop), where I typically have all the images I plan to use already loaded.
    I take my first image, (not the edit original one but the first I want to use in it's place) and I make it a smart object (my preference, not mandatory). I then select it and copy the image. I paste it into the 'edit original' images file and size it to fit. I use save as, and give it a name I always try to save it in the templates assets where the edit original asset is located.
    Once I have all my images sized, I close the edit original without saving it. I then start the process of choosing each one and replacing them by using the 'relink' in the assets panel.
    This isn't as laborious as it seems and I have always had good luck with keeping my sizes and clarity correct.
    Give that a shot, and let me know.
    Dj

12. Owen Vachell

Owen Vachell Member

Hi Dj,

Seems like an easy enough process to follow but unfortunately it's still producing images in the preview that are pixelated. This is a real shame as it's by far my favourite template but as a photographer I can't have my images displayed in poor quality.

13. DjHerold

Owen, since I can't replicate the issue, and I really can't see how the template would be causing it (but stranger things have happened, so
    I'll have to suggest you place a support ticket (support>contact us). Hopefully they can help you.
    As a side note to the part we didn't discuss further about the pixelisation in Muse, one thing to remember, is if you size your images at 100% (50% for Hidpi) Muse will leave those images alone on export. But if you place an image and re size it within muse, then muse will re save the image on export and do a lousy job. Just FYI
    Dj