Surreal CMS - User Feedback

Discussion in 'Surreal CMS' started by Brandon, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Brandon

Brandon Widgetsman Staff Member Advisory Group

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2016
  2. Samkajjan

Samkajjan Member

Hello Muse Themes,

Great cms solution .. i have a few questions to make:

can slideshows be edited or add more slides to it?

is that possible to make a native lightbox gallery?

and last u mentioned in the video that it is possible to make dynamic posts instead of creating pages in muse for each post, is the there any information resource showing how it is done?

Thank you so much for the good job

3. Steve Harris

Steve Harris Museologist Staff Member Moderator

Hey Samkajjan,

Great questions, thanks for the feedback!

Gallery / slideshow editing is something that we can easily integrate into Surreal if users require it. We can make use of the Surreal API to build widgets like galleries or navigation systems that would be easily edited in Surreal. In terms of existing widgets it may be tricky at first, but we haven't tested them all. You may want to give them a shot while on your Surreal trial, to see what works / doesn't. Since we didn't build the Surreal system, we unfortunately don't know all the finer details...

Re: page posts created in Surreal - I've updated the video in our training series to explain this aspect. It's now Video #6 in the series. If you watched these last night or early today, that video wasn't updated yet ;)

Thanks!
    SH

4. Samkajjan

Samkajjan Member

Hey Steve,

I am really happy to talk to you.

The updated video it's impressive .. I think you guys can make it really integrate into muse, but please if you can keep in mind this needs, you would solve all muse users problems. I am working on 3 projects right now & that is what most clients are asking for:

Editable content " Navigation, Text, Photos, etc ... "

Blog " Dynamic Blog Feed, Dynamic Post Page, Recent Posts, Category Menu, Lightbox Gallery's , Social Share "

Ecommerce " Mini Cart in the header, Dynamic content, Recent Products in home page" & most people want woocommerce or prestashop.

If MuseThemes can integrate Surreal CMS, Prestashop and Muse that would be very awesome.

Thank you Steve, I'll give it a deep try & let you now ..

Janne likes this.
  5. Nathan Ruff

Nathan Ruff New Member

I get this error everytime.

Attached Files:

6. Brandon

Hi Nathan,

Hmm, I'm curious how the Muse page is set up. I haven't seen that message. Are there elements inside of a state button or anything?

You might want to try creating a new page (off-menu) in Muse for testing. If you're seeing that message constantly, you could keep the test page super simple, like just a text box on a blank page and see if you get the message.

Let us know how it goes!

7. Nathan Ruff

Nathan Ruff New Member

8. spyder

spyder Well-Known Member

Hi there, I just watched the videos for Surreal CMS and it looks very promising. It's great that clients can now create pages themselves, I lost a couple clients awhile ago as they switched to WordPress because they needed to be able to add new pages by themselves to their Services and Our Team sections. So my question is: when a client creates a new page using Surreal for, say, their Services section, can that page then be seen in the drop down menu under Services? After watching the video it looked like you need to create a link to that page manually from another page (like a blog). I didn't see a way for the navigation to be edited by clients (which can be a good thing, but they may want to add new sections to the main nav), but if they can create a new 'Services' page, and then having that be seen automatically in the drop menu for Services, that would be ideal. Basically, if I create a 'Services' page template, then every page created by my client using that template would be seen in the Services drop down menu. Keep up the good work!.

gestyle likes this.
  9. JulianCarrera

JulianCarrera New Member

When a client creates a new page from our pre-designed template. What are the options for a menu, or sub-menu. Will a menu widget update to show the newly created page? if so which menu widget is compatible.

gestyle likes this.
  10. Brandon

Hi @spyder

Since the client would be creating new pages in Surreal, the new pages won't actually be added to your muse file, just to your server via Surreal. This means that Muse wouldn't have the ability to automatically add those pages to the site nav.

The system described in video #6 of the training series is really best for things like blogs specifically, since individual blog posts wouldn't need to be included in the site nav, but do get individual URL's.

Hope that helps!

spyder likes this.
  11. Brandon

Hi @JulianCarrera

I was writing my previous reply when your post came in (which also applies to your question). The Menu widget included in Muse is handy because it automatically pulls in new pages as they're added in Muse, but this only works if they're added in the Muse app. While Surreal can be used to create new pages, these pages are created then sent to the server where your site is hosted. That process is separate from Muse. So it's probably best to consider this process with things like blogs, news, testimonials, reports (from events like meetings or sporting events), etc. These pages can be linked to because they have unique URL's, but wouldn't show up on the main site nav.

Cheers,

12. Steve Harris

I've seen this error! It means there are two elements with the editable tag applied, that are basically on top of one another.

In most cases it seemed to be the page itself has the editable style applied.
    If you click on a blank area on the page, if the editable style is highlighted it's applied. Set that to none and you should be good to go... :)

13. Nathan Ruff

Nathan Ruff New Member

You are correct!! Thank you so much.

14. Jeremei

Jeremei Well-Known Member

Steve!
    Is it so when a client edits website in Surreal CMS, I can not see edited content on my Muse site? I must check edited content on browser, right? If it so, I suggest improvement to this issue! :oops:

15. Steve Harris

Correct. But keep in mind that NO CMS outside of an Adobe built one would have that capability, and that's not likely going to change. Adobe needs to protect the integrity of Muse files, and if you could access / modify them from the "outside" you could also destroy them...

There is no system available to outside Muse developers – no matter what platform you're using – that gives you the ability to push changes made on a CMS back into a Muse site. For that, you must use In-Browser Editing.

Cheers!

16. gerardgoed

gerardgoed New Member

Hey,

My first impression of surreal is positive.

Question: In the content editing mode, I see a different font than the published site. Is it possible
    to also see in the used font in the editor? The font used is a Typekit font.

17. Darron

Darron Active Member

Passwords, passwords, passwords!
    Any chance of getting a bonafide password/membership access portal.
    I have a sorority client, that needs members only, individual and unique, manageable password access to certain pages, file downloads, and uploads.
    Doable?

18. rolynch

rolynch New Member

Question-
    Using Surreal CMS is it possible to set up Blog articles on one page and have their title summaries auto populate on the home page?

19. gestyle

gestyle Member

Dynamic templates and the ability to push surreal-created pages back into the original site (and navigation) would help a lot, in order to be in control of what happens. Otherwise, clients might probably find it useful and more flexible to use wordpress.. - What do you guys think? -

20. Renaldo Wade

Renaldo Wade New Member

Hello all. I've searched the forum for an answer to my question, but no luck.

How does Surreal work with layouts that aren’t responsive? I prefer to use phone layouts for mobile devices. Is this supported? Please advise. Thanks in advance.