SuperHero Slider

Discussion in 'Beta Testing' started by Brandon, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Brandon

Brandon Widgetsman Staff Member Advisory Group

Since releasing our SuperHero widget, we've gotten tons of requests to make a slideshow version. Well here it is!

If the widget looks a little familiar, there's a reason. We used our versatile and fully responsive Cinch Slideshow widget as a base for the slider functionality. This slideshow will always load fullscreen, regardless of screen size. DEMO

Setup:
    • Drop widget into Muse, and align to the very top of the browser. Check by ensuring that the "Y" setting is at zero in the top menu.
    • Use the Muse Resize dropdown to set the widget to "Stretch to Browser Width"
    • Open the widget options panel
    • Use the Slide Setup sections to load your images. The widget supports 20 images, each with their own caption option.
    • Once you load in a few images, the slider will be functional.
    • Set the rest of the slideshow options as you like. If you've used our Cinch Slideshow widget, you will find all of the same functionality.

Members can download the widget here: http://www.muse-themes.com/pages/beta-downloads
    Download includes widget, demo muse file with the widget all set up, and assets.

Please share your feedback in this thread. Thanks!

2. Roger

Roger Active Member

Im using Muse version 2015.2.1.21

When I try to load this beta I get the following error (as below)....

I know there is a very latest version but I dont really want to upgrade yet as it normally causes compatibility issues with every other widget I have...

Will this latest beta widget not work with my version?

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 08.02.13.jpg

3. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Roger, as of this Beta, the widget only works with the new version.
    Dj

4. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

@Steve Harris @DjHerold

So I downloaded this beta and am really confused.

When you said this was a SuperHero Slider...I was thinking more along the lines of the SuperHero widget with child graphic styles but with multiple pages like cinch. This is basically just a new Cinch without the option to turn off the full screen?

It would be great if the slider could be full screen on the desktop sizes but be able to turn it off on the smaller screen sizes and be able to have graphic styles for the child panels.

Just my thoughts!

5. Brandon

Hi Jesse,

I would say it's more the other way around. It was apparent right away that people wanted a slider version once we released SuperHero. So the task was to take the SuperHero widget and build in slideshow capability. Needing solid responsive slideshow functionality, it made sense to turn to our own Cinch Slideshow widget. Once we integrated Cinch function into SuperHero, it started to look a lot like Cinch when you looked at the option panel since Cinch has a lot of options and SuperHero doesn't. We've hardcoded several of the non-applicable parameters that used to be in Cinch and removed them as options, to make things a little simpler to set up.

And of course there's a lot more to it than turning full screen on or off. Full screen options have been around for a long time in Muse - it's even built in to the included default Muse slideshow widget. The trick is to make things full screen, but manage to have content below that can be scrolled to, which is what SuperHero brings to the picture.

That's something we can do. We can add a breakpoint range in the option panel that would hide the widget in the defined range. But initially, that seems less intuitive than simply hiding the widget on the breakpoints you don't want it in. Using the R-click "Hide in Breakpoint" option in Muse would hide the widget in Design mode and in the published version, whereas hiding the widget using a breakpoint range in the widget options would not remove it from Design mode, forcing you to design your page around it.

And regarding the child panel in SuperHero, that became a tricky issue. The thing is, Cinch already has captions. So having the child panel for a caption (SuperHero) plus captions per slide (Cinch) didn't make sense together. Using the child panel as SuperHero does is inferior because it would be constant as slides change. That makes the captions already built into Cinch more useful. And this widget includes positioning of the captions as well. If a person wanted a persistent caption that didn't change with the slides, that could be placed as a text box on top of the slider, and captions could be turned off in the widget.

Cheers,

Jesse likes this.
  6. gtdesigns

gtdesigns Member

I haven't tried the widget yet but on first look at the demo in my browser, safari on the mac, it looks like there is an issue with the captions. They don't seem to be responsive. When the browser is about 700px or so wide the captions go onto 2 lines and the line spacing seems off. The second line is too close to the first.

Thanks,
    Gareth.

7. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. Don't worry about adding breakpoints for removing the widget. I don't think it makes sense if its going to be 100% height on every page.

Keep up the good work!

8. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

@Brandon @Steve Harris @DjHerold

Hey guys...Happy New Year!

Now onto new projects....and with that comes new issues of course.

I know that the SuperHero Slideshow is in Beta but I have not seen an update in a while and am giving it a go for a homepage that I am creating for a client.

The issue I am having is when opening the widget on smaller screen sizes I get text that looks like this:

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 3.38.42 PM.png

When I move the browser ever so slightly it fixes the issue and looks like this:

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 3.38.52 PM.png

I also wish that the left would stay on the bottom left since I selected that....not sure why this snaps to the right?

I would also like to have the navigation dots ALWAYS ON...even on mobile! please!

Let me know.

9. Brandon

Hi Jesse,

My apologies. I completely missed an alert of a new post. If you happen to be involved with this project still, I'd be happy to work with you on the details.

I'm not sure what's happening with the caption moving. I haven't seen that in any testing. Regarding the pagination, I will definitely make sure it stays at mobile sizing. I've got a list of features and issues with this one that should be addressed shortly.

10. pauldean48

pauldean48 New Member

So you can't use child panels with this one? I thought this was a slideshow 'super hero'? It seems it's just a full height clinch?

Also, i'm getting a vertical gap on the left side of my browser (Mac - firefox) when the widget is set to browser width.

11. pauldean48

pauldean48 New Member

Try putting a second child inside the first child - MT asked me to do this and it worked for me.. not that I should do that to be honest - very buggy.

12. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Paul, please remember this is a Beta version. We are looking for the things you, the users would like to see if we can include.
    Thanks
    Dj