Solved Superhero + Self Hosted Video

Discussion in 'General Muse' started by Filip, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Filip

Filip New Member

Hi, is it possible to combine the superhero widget with a self hoted video?
    I know that you can set a gif file as fill in the superhero widget but is it possible to use an mp4 or any other way to get a superhero video? *As soon as i scroll down i want my content below as in the superhero widget*

Jonathan Taee likes this.
  2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Filip, We are looking at a widget like that for a future design, it's quite the requested widget.
    In the mean time you can try something I did as a test.
    Place the Super Hero widget on the page, delete the child panel.
    Place our Show widget below the controller for the Super hero. Set the toolset controller of the Show widget to Backgrounds, and choose 'Section' in the Show video settings. Be sure to change the Graphic Style name of the section in the controller to 'Hero', matching the Super Hero Graphic Style.
    Place your videos and image, and you should be good to go.
    Remember, this is just something to try. The widgets weren't designed and tested like this I'm sure.
    Let me know
    Dj

Jonathan Taee and Filip like this.
  3. Filip

Filip New Member

Thanks Dj, it works! :) (at least in preview) I can even do it with a child panel on top.
    I will now test how it will work if I add a Big box menu etc. I'll post the finished result when I'm done.

4. DjHerold

Sounds good, please remember that the widgets weren't designed to be used like that but if they don't cause any conflict that's great.
    Dj

5. Jonathan Taee

Jonathan Taee Member

Hey Guys, I've just tried to implement this workaround, but not having any success. Here is a screen shot of my setup, any ideas where I am going wrong? I just get a grey box, no video loading.

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 4.56.04 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 4.56.35 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 4.56.29 PM.png

6. DjHerold

Jonathan, try something for me.
    Move the controllers off the page to the left. Keep them in order from top to bottom, superhero, tool set, and then bg videos.
    That is a cleaner way for Muse to read the widgets.
    The issue for you is probably in the naming of the videos. Remember, no spaces, special characters, things like that.
    Try just naming them hcwebsite.mp4, hcwebsite.webm ect.
    And always use a poster image, it's necessary.
    Let me know
    Dj

7. Jonathan Taee

Jonathan Taee Member

Hey DJ,

Awesome.

I tried your solutions sequentially.

First the video renaming and poster image, this fixed it immediately.

I then, for cleanliness, moved the controllers off to the left.

It's working great!

Thanks so much.

And can I take this opportunity to say that I'm a huge fan of MT, but even more a fan of your support in these forums. Top notch!

Thanks mate!
    Jonney

8. Jonathan Taee

Jonathan Taee Member

A follow up DJ,

Interestingly, the video works in Chrome, but not Safari.

Do you have intel on safari not working with your Show widget? Any way to get it working? In the mac era, that's a dead end for us not to be able to display on Safari?

You can preview the sandbox (under development) site here: www.hudsoncarbon.com/sandbox

Thanks!
    Jonney

9. DjHerold

Jonathan, thank you for the kind words.
    I wish I had better news on the auto play abilities of Safari, but this is a new decision from Apple to do this (this article talks a bit about it) https://bitmovin.com/play-not-play-new-autoplay-policies-safari-11-chrome-64/
    I have heard there are ways you can tell safari not to stop the video but I'm not sure they are working.
    Adobes Muse forum would probably be a better area to see what's going on with Muse, but I'm afraid this is the new trend.
    Like auto play on Mobile, the browser makers are taking a hard line approach to what they deem as protecting users.
    Hopefully there will be some solutions or work around's because background videos have become such a standard in websites.
    Sorry I don't have better news.
    One thing that I am seeing with this issue is an increased interest in our Dynamic Slideshow widget.
    Hope this helps
    Dj