Sidebar Connect

Discussion in 'Connect - CSV Widgets' started by JDL612, Oct 17, 2016.

1. JDL612

JDL612 Member

Hello
    Just getting going with this widget and have a question on menu item spacing and formatting. How can I adjust the right margins of the menu item>I see the horizontal padding which seems to add space to the left of the menu item, but doesnt do anything to the right. There's a good amount of unused space to the right of each item thats not being used and its causing my type to break horribly (middle of words, etc)...anyone tell me how to fix it?
    This is in the mobile breakpoint, menu is opening Right and Type is Flush Left.
    thanks
    jeremy
    menu.png

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Jdl, I'm away from the office at the moment, I'll see what I can find when I get back and comment here.
    Hopefully in the meantime someone else with look at it.
    Dj

3. JDL612

JDL612 Member

Ok, while you're simmering on answering that one, how do I turn it off in wider breakpoints? I've hidden it but it still shows up in preview. I only need this widget for mobile...

4. DjHerold

JDL, thanks for being patient.
    The padding is for the left only, the way to adjust for longer text would be to increase the size of the panel. Similarly to increasing a text box width.
    Your question about the Menu showing only in the Mobile size is being looked at for a possible update (if it can be done it will be soon, we are going to add additional functionality from other suggestions).
    We'll keep everyone posted.
    Dj

5. JDL612

JDL612 Member

-so all that wasted space can't be used for the type unless I make the panel wider then the width of the phone? Pretty lame..
    -I bought this widget--and signed up for your subscription specifically to get this dyamic menu to use in mobile breakpoints, why else would I need a hamburger menu..now you're saying you can't hide it on desktop breakpoints? Defeats whole purpose of something like this and shouldve be a basic function. Not an afterthought

6. DjHerold

JDL, I may have misunderstood you.
    If you are using this , let's say for a really small older phone, about 320px, you always would be limited to that size and amount of text per line..
    The width of the menu won't have "wasted space" if sized to the text length.
    The ability to use as only a Mobile device menu wasn't in the original design because the user base wanted on Menu that could be used 'responsively' across all break points.
    We always try to accommodate changes if we get requests, but this wasn't asked for as a Mobile only widget.
    If you are unhappy, I suggest you place a support ticket (support>contact us) to request a refund.
    If possible we will always try to accommodate.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Dj

Capture.JPG

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  7. JDL612

JDL612 Member

what did you set your padding to in your example?
    So Is there another widget you have that you can recommend that will do the trick then? I need a nav thats only visible in mobile breakpoints (hamburger menu) with submenu capabilities...my site isn't vastly deep theres only a couple of that sections have 3 subsections. Thanks

8. DjHerold

JDL, I believe I used 20px on that test. I also had been trying it at 10 with good results.
    If this isn't what you are looking for, some users prefer the Dropdown list menu. It can be used in only the Mobile size if you want.
    Just place it on your Mobile size and hide in other break points.
    We will still be looking at changing the SideBar connect if possible, and will notify everyone.
    Dj

9. Steve Harris

Steve Harris Museologist Staff Member Moderator

Hey JDL,

Just wanted to mention we're definitely adding an option to "hide above / below" specific breakpoints in a future update. I'd like this update out next week if possible, and it's designed to satisfy exactly this request (use only on mobile or desktop instances). Believe it or not we've also had users send in requests for this to be their desktop only menu, so it's always tough to know how users intend on using the widget (and design it to be flexible for all applications)

Also regarding padding, we can typically hack that using some custom CSS (embedded in the "head for <HTML>") of the site. We forced padding to be equal on left / right sides to keep the option panel lean, but if you post a link I can have a look at providing some code to adjust them independently...

Cheers
    SH

p.s. we update widgets often based on community requests, especially big widgets like this. So while we might not nail every feature in V1, we definitely work hard to refine them over a few weeks until they work beautifully. So stick with us... ;)

10. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

Steve...this widget seems to always be above the new Gallery Connect widget when in lightbox mode. I reverted to Pushy Panes for the time being but I am loving these csv widgets!

Also make sure you add the active state option in the next update!

Great work.