Solved SHOW video not playing on some browsers in mobile

Discussion in 'SHOW Responsive Video Suite' started by TracyB2017, May 25, 2017.

1. TracyB2017

TracyB2017 Member

I've used the show widget and done .mp4 and .webm videos hosted locally. The videos on the home page plays for me in Firefox on Android, but not in Chrome on Android, and not in Safari on an iPhone. FAQ page is a cinemagraph, so no issues there. Client is starting to get upset that I can't figure this out. Help!!!!! taratest02.businesscatalyst.com

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Tracy, since you are talking about Android and iPhone, I'm going to assume you are strictly talking about the Mobile design?
    On almost all mobile devises, a video that auto starts is typically not allowed between Browsers and Carriers.
    For now I'm going to assume this is your issue.
    Let me know if I am missing the point.
    Thanks
    Dj

3. TracyB2017

TracyB2017 Member

Yes, correct, this is a mobile issue! Is there a fix of some kind to get it to work across most browsers on mobile? Is it an auto play issue?

4. DjHerold

Tracy, this isn't an issue with any of the widgets of this nature. This is a restriction placed on any auto play video that could use a subscribers data without their knowledge or consent.
    If I'm not mistaken this was set up by the carriers to satisfy suits brought against them and in conjunction with various Browsers.
    Maybe someone with a larger legal background could explain further.
    Dj

5. TracyB2017

TracyB2017 Member

Ok, that makes sense. It still seems weird that the video works on my phone in Firefox but not on my husband's in Chrome. Same carrier, T-Mobile. Bizarre!

6. DjHerold

Tracy, from what I'm hearing, it's primarily from the Browser design. I found reference to this in both the iOS and Android Design manuals.
    It seems there may be some out there that don't adhere to their standards.
    Dj

7. TracyB2017

TracyB2017 Member

I appreciate your looking into it! The client is ok with doing static photos on the mobile layout, so all's well that ends well, and now I know for future projects!