Seeking Input for breakpoints

Discussion in 'General Muse' started by nhdalton, Mar 23, 2016.

1. nhdalton

nhdalton New Member

I am seeking input as to what I should set my mobile breakpoint(s) to.

I have a photography website with a 380px width set for my old Muse site but I am seeing people use 480px for a responsive site, while others suggest 320px. At present, I am configuring the new site with breakpoints at 768, 968 and 1200. For mobile, should I just go with the minimum of 320px? The site will be created for HiDPI if that makes a difference at all.

Thoughts?

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

nhdalton, the best thing I can suggest is to watch our responsive design video series. All the best practices are covered there.
    Having said that, the best rule of thumb ,and pardon me if I'm repeating others on this, is to place a break point when your design Breaks.
    In adaptive we place 'general' sizes to get as close as possible to typical sized devices. In responsive you're much better off designing to your content, rather than the gazillion sizes of devices out there.
    Dj

3. nhdalton

nhdalton New Member

I have watched them a few times, taking notes as I go. Yes, I agree that design should determine breakpoints, but when it comes to mobile, I think people need a bit more clarity - especially when I see others suggesting multiple pixel widths. The problem is that mobile phones are evolving at such a rate that we want to design for the ones with excellent resolution while at the same time, not leaving out those with lower-quality displays. I think I will just play it safe and go with both 320px and 480px then see how that works out.