Responsive vs Alternate Layouts

Discussion in 'General Muse' started by CT-Scott, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Chipp Walters

Chipp Walters Well-Known Member

So, I may not understand what you are asking about, but I'll offer some advice anyway. FWIW, I've had great luck creating a TUMBLR site and allowing my client to edit specific posts I've set up in the site. As long as the tags are correct, the content flows nicely into both the Desktop and Phone websites and the Tumblr widget (made by the folks here) allows you to set different formatting for the text AS IT COMES in. That may be a solution...

EX. www.lakepointstation.com

2. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

The only caution there, if using Tumbler, is the potential detrimental effect that it can have on SEO (e.g: duplicate content). If a client of mine is serious about ranking well, I don't advise it.

I still love Muse for design, so what I am doing these days for more complicated sites is building a full design prototype in Muse, desktop only, and then giving it to a WordPress developer to build out which they can easily do. When I calculate the costs of hiring a WP developer vs. spending all my time trying to get the site responsive, it works out better in the end. For simple sites, I use Hybrid or DTM.

If Muse does a better job of responsive in the future, I'll be back on the bandwagon. It's a great tool for prototyping though!

3. Gwen Speicher

Gwen Speicher New Member

Thanks, Chip & Sarah. If I understand correctly, Tumblr is essentially for blogging, right?
    I have a long ways to go before I worry too much about that. I was more concerned about in-browser editing of her articles and other pages that use multiple text styles. However, after explaining the dilemma to her yesterday, she's perfectly fine with me doing all editing on the website in the future. So I'm sticking with Alternative Layouts until responsive design is easier to work with! (And hopefully, she'll retire before me ;-)
    Sarah, are you saying that Wordpress somehow automatically creates a perfect responsive design?

Sarah likes this.
  4. Chipp Walters

I pretty much don't use Tumblr for blogging at all. I have my client enter all gallery pictures, daily specials, emergency notices, event pricing but no blogging.

Yes, Sarah> I find I, too, spend most of my time these days in MUSE doing web app UX/UI for developers to implement. For me as a long time Illustrator/Pshop guy, I find it faster and easier to do these types of interfaces in MUSE, plus I can save them to my Dropbox account and my developers can view the URLs so they have all the CSS styling info (font, weights, sizes, colors, etc) ready to go.

Sarah likes this.
  5. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Hi Gwen,

WordPress, for the most part, creates a perfect responsive design. There is a little tweaking required, but not much.

6. Chipp Walters

Sorta. Depends on the template being used. If you're having a custom template coded to match your Muse design, then it depends on the skill of the person programming.

WordPress by itself is a CMS development and delivery tool. In the hands of a skilled developer it can be quite powerful. That said, it also requires spending time maintaining it.

I quit using it a couple years ago because of the constant maintenance and updating required along with it's susceptibility to hacking.