Reduced Size Menu with Fluid

Discussion in 'General Muse' started by Lance Evans, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Lance Evans

Lance Evans Member

Hello all,

Sorry if this was answered, I couldn't find it.

Here is a common need: The website loads with a nice size header at the top of the page. As the viewer begins to scroll down, that header is replaced by a much smaller (ie, less tall) ID bar and/or navigation buttons across the top. This is usually a master page item.

No problem traditionally. But if you want the site to have the site usable on desktop and mobile, then you can't PIN the menu items to the top, as mobile browsers don't like that.

Okay, so we can use Scroll Motion effects (motion or opacity depending on your design), and have been the last few years. Ah, but what if we are building responsive/fluid sites, which don't wholly support any scroll effects? Any suggestions?

Adobe has their work-around of creating the master page items on a MP with a larger fixed page. But then it won't work on a mobile as the page width will be narrower. And frankly, I have yet to get this to work well.

There must be some technique or widget that can just swap out the initial header for a smaller one, and work in Fluid mode, and across desktop and mobile, no?

Best,
    Lance

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Lance, I'm not sure if I'm understanding your issue correctly.
    Do you have an example site that I could look at to see what you're looking for?
    We use pinning on our Mobile site menus and they seem to work just fine.

Dj

3. Lance Evans

Lance Evans Member

Hey Dj,

If you tell me that pinning IS WORKING, then I am good to go. I have always read that mobile browsers gave unreliable results with pinning. Is that not true, or has it simply changed over the last year or two?

This is why so many of us have been using motion scroll, when pinning would be a lot easier to set up.

4. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Lance, take a look at one of our newer templates, Infini Club. Go to the product page on a Mobile device and look at the live demo.
    This template uses a pinned accordion widget.
    We gotten good feedback on this template and so far, I'm not hearing anything bad on Mobile.
    Tell me if I'm being overly optimistic because I don't want to be giving out bad information.
    Dj