Solved Question about "sticky followed by un-sticky" content using scroll effect

Discussion in 'General Muse' started by Mark Fallai, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Fallai

Mark Fallai New Member

Hey all - First post and relatively new to Muse - my apologies if this has been asked and answered. It was one of those maybe I can't figure out how to ask the question kinda things.

I am trying to re-create this scrolling effect that I saw here: https://www.codeandtheory.com/things-we-make/shirley-ryan-abilitylab, where the large numbers (section 1, 2, etc) keep up with the content that is associated with them until that content is passed on the scroll.

I've managed to get the stickiness to occur at first but cannot figure out how to get it to release. (see attached for my settings). Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Mark, what you need to do to get that effect is to add time to your Final Motion. Say, maybe a .1 or .2.
    This will allow the text to move at a normal rate while the Number initially moves normal to a predetermined height, stops, and then exits at the slower speed.
    This allows the text to be gone from sight, the number exits, and allows the next group to scroll into position.
    I've attached a couple of simple screen shots to illustrate what I did.
    The first is my setting. I used the red bar to illustrate where I set my motion to begin (the orange block would be your numbers).
    The screen shot of the page in browser shows that the text is almost gone and the numbers box is ready to scroll out of sight.
    You'll need to play with the timing and height but you'll see what I mean.
    Hope this helps
    Dj
    Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG

3. Mark Fallai

Mark Fallai New Member

Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply! I'm not sure this is doing what I am saying though. The effect I am looking to recreate is how the number only maintains a "fixed" position alongside the content it is associated with. The effect is the 1 sticks... and then unsticks, scrolling away - and allowing for the next number to do the same.

Sorry if I'm being dense. I have attached a video to highlight what I am trying to reproduce.

Attached Files:

4. DjHerold

Mark, without any value in the Final Motion, Your category number will scroll and then become fixed as you have seen.
    There may be ways to "trick" the viewer using motion and opacity, but I'm not aware of Muse being able to do what you want using only motion.
    There may be a way to 'unstick' the Number like your example, but it may take some special codeing.
    Maybe someone else here has had some luck duplicating a look like this and can chime in.
    I will check with our team and see what they think and if I get something I'll post back here.
    Dj

5. DjHerold

Mark, here is another type of solution to play around with given to me by one of the team.
    This uses both Motion and Opacity.
    Might be worth looking at.
    Thanks
    Dj

Attached Files:

6. Mark Fallai

Mark Fallai New Member

This is awesome. Thank you so much for your help with this. I was also noodling a mix of opacity and scroll but couldn't figure out how to get the opacity timing right. This helps tremendously! Thank you!

7. DjHerold

Mark, glad to have helped.
    Good luck.
    Dj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.