Problem with social share widget

Discussion in 'All Other Widgets' started by RenataRD, Feb 1, 2017.

1. RenataRD

RenataRD Member

Hi, I managed to figure out how to add page title to FB post and then its description loaded by itself. I can't figure out thought how to load the photo and make it appear in FB post.

I input the name of the photo from the page but the post is just not grabbing it.

I downloaded MNHTN template because it's using that widget but it didn't give me any clues how to solve my problem. This template doesn't show any photo in FB post as well.

Here is the link to the page of this website: http://mhtn.businesscatalyst.com/product-details-1.html which I'm testing. What I'm doing wrong. What I should input into Facebook Share Image field to make it work?

Btw. I'm working on the Mac with the latest version of OS and previewing website in Chrome Version 55.0.2883.95.

Thank you,

Renata

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Renata, have you viewed the videos on our Facebook widgets?
    Dj

3. RenataRD

RenataRD Member

I didn't watch all of then but I watched the one showing installation of this widget. The video is old however and doesn't cover this widget's new features allowing to input title, description or image. The furthest we got to is to link page but we are not able to change its title to the issue title (this is page title) and we can't grab the picture. What's worse the post shows the empty box.

4. RenataRD

RenataRD Member

5. RenataRD

RenataRD Member

Hi Dj, could you tell me if somebody will be able to help me? I'll be in problem if won't solve this soon. I would never develop this site in Muse if I knew that it doesn't offer share buttons. I only decided to do it when I found this widget, which seamed so easy to use. I think I make silly mistakes when I implement it, but since I'm not a coder I can't solve this myself. Please respond asap. Thank you. Renata

6. DjHerold

Renata, place a support ticket with our team (resources>contact us). I'm sure they can give you an answer.
    Thanks
    Dj

7. RenataRD

RenataRD Member

I did, this morning but nobody contacted me yet :-(

8. DjHerold

Renata, we get lots of tickets each day, our team tries to answer as quickly as possible.
    Most are addressed with in 24 hrs', some take a bit longer.
    Please be patient.
    Thanks
    Dj

9. RenataRD

RenataRD Member

Yes, I know that I have to wait 24 hours. I'm just worry because I didn't get confirmation that somebody will look into it.
    Thank for your quick responses. Renata

10. DjHerold

Renata, I spoke to one of the team about your post. He had a different take away from it than I did, so just in case I didn't get the intent of your question, this is what he said.
    "from what I read she is using the original Social Share widget that came in the theme, that version is way out dated. I would have her head over to the product page and download the latest v1.3. It will also allow her to upload the image via a file picker instead of the old method of typing the file name."

Social Sharing Widget: https://www.muse-themes.com/products/social-sharing-button

Hopefully this can help, but if not the ticket will be answered soon.
    Dj

11. RenataRD

RenataRD Member

Oh no, I sent that link when I was doing testing in MNHTN, I thought I was doing something wrong and I wanted to check how this is done in template. Still I couldn't make it work, that's why I joined this forum. On our site we are using the latest version for the widget. I sent the link to our site in the ticket. I'm attaching here again : http://www.60caregiverissues.org/ However, I see that our IT guy secured it. Here is the info needed to get through it: User Name: phi Password: caregivers. Thanks a lot.

12. RenataRD

RenataRD Member

Hi Dj,

I'm worry because nobody contacted me. In the meantime I have a launch of this website on Monday morning. If I won't fix the problem till that time, I will have to take the buttoms out. In the meantime this website was created for sharing. Having it without thm doesn't make sense. I'm in real trouble, because I was the one who pushed for the Muse :-( Please let me know if somebody will contact me soon. Thank you, Renata

13. RenataRD

RenataRD Member

I want to follow up on this. I was able to make the buttons work. They work fine in conjunction with SEO widget (J-26). The way to make them work is to leave all fields empty except url to the website. I hope this will help for anybody who want to use this widget for sharing pages. As far as I know no other widgets like this are available at this time.

14. Melissa

Melissa Member

Hi Renata,
    I'd be very interested to know a little more detail about how you got the widget to work. I have had a insane time trying to make it work on my site. It works on some pages but not on others and I can't pick up what the difference is between those that work and those that don't.
    Kind regards

Melissa

15. RenataRD

RenataRD Member

Hi Melissa, sorry for responding just now. We celebrated two-day holiday.

It's weird that some of your pages work and some don't. First, I made the buttons work on one page by adding SEO widget (J-26). Later on I just copy and paste in the new content. I also update the widgets to match that content, e.g. new page title, new page description and new image if necessary. Then we go live with the test site. After that I go back to SEO widget and verify Open Graph for FB and Twitter Card. And upload again to the test site. At that point usually everything works. Sometimes some browsers don't refresh the content immediatelly, but I noticed that's just a matter of time. Usually after few hours everything starts to work correctly. To accommodate that, we launch our updates one day before we go live.

I hope this helps.

Renata

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  16. Melissa

Melissa Member

Hi Renata,

Firstly there's no need to apologise for not replying immediately! We had Easter too.

I've studied your issue's thread and I've also researched my own issue too again in the last few days. I now think that the widget itself is working correctly but I can't seem to work out why my configurations of the widget are not working uniformly across all the pages that have it installed on. That's to say that FB and G+ don't pick up the image, but on other pages they do. Please see attached image. Given that I'm no web designer I'm going to take your lead and use the J-26 widget and get that to do the SEO configuration, leave the Social Sharing Button empty bar the site's URL and debug everything in the de-buggers etc. I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks again,
    Melissa, Canowindra NSW, Australia

Attached Files:

17. RenataRD

RenataRD Member

Hi Melissa,

We couldn't make MuseTheme buttons work at all. Actually, we did at certain point but when we wanted to repeat the settings, the buttons stopped working again. They also didn't show the image. Now we input only url into MuseTheme widget and SEO widget is used to add description to the page and attach the image. Make sure to give a title to the page. SEO widget is looking for it when creating posts. Good luck. Renata