Objects Shifting

Discussion in 'Mumblr' started by Lance Evans, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Lance Evans

Lance Evans Well-Known Member

Hello,

Using the latest version of the plugin as of this date, 1.1. I've just noticed that when a Mumblr object is on the page, both items on the page, and my MASTER page items shift a few pixels to the left.

When a mumblr page first loads, some of the items on the page are at one location, and in a fraction of a second, they pop over to the left (about 10 pixels). I think this has something to do with mumblr loading, as I see the footer for a moment and then at that same fraction of a second, it gets pushed down off screen.

The master page items are more interesting, as they load and stay in place. Until I begin to scroll the page down just a bit. Then they pop over to the left a bit (similar 10 pixels). Then they are stationary throughout any more scrolling up or down.

Both events are completely repeatable by reloading the page, again and again. I have "differenced" the two in PSD, so you can see the amount of shift, see below.

I am on Win 7, using Chrome browser.

Thanks.

upload_2016-3-7_19-37-1.png

2. Norman Durkee

Norman Durkee Well-Known Member Moderator

Hey @Lance Evans , my apologies for the inconvenience hopefully we can help pinpoint the issue and get your site back on track! The first rule of thumb in these situations I would suggest doing is taking the widget in question and placing it on its own blank page without a master page and testing to see if it works properly, if it does then there may be another widget or object clashing with Mumblr. Can you try that and let me know the results?

Also would you be able to send me a link to the site in question so I can take a look at it and see if I can replicate the issue?

3. Lance Evans

Hi Norman,

Let me rattle off a few replies. But first just say thank you for jumping in at this hour!

First, the shift isn't bad, and wouldn't stop me from publishing. I did break it down and isolated it to the mumblr widget. Other than that, the page has little else than the master items.

Also, in the interim I needed to add a text block BELOW the mumblr instance ("More coming soon"). And guess what? It solved all shifting! This must be related to the older issue mentioned in the how-to video, which I thought had been since remedied. So pretty much, problem solved.

I do have another issue which, if you have any input on, would be great. Very minor, just a spacing issue which I don't believe there is any control for. I'll past in a photo with notations. I'd love to be able tighten up the marked areas, and make the blog posts look like a single unit.

Thanks!
    Lance

upload_2016-3-7_22-26-20.png

4. Lance Evans

Wow, I just accidentally deleted a whole post. Grrrr...!

Norman,

Thank you, here is an abbreviated retyped version:

I fixed the problem by adding another text box BELOW the mumblr instance. I know there was an existing issue, which is related. I had thought it was fixed. Anyway, this did it.

I wonder if there is any way to tighten up the open spaces marked in the attached image? I don't think there is a control for it.

Best,
    Lance

upload_2016-3-7_22-33-56.png

5. Norman Durkee

No worries lol I was able to read it before it was deleted, yes that's a pesky little bug that we've had, but with every update to Mumblr its becoming closer and closer to being completely squashed, im very happy to hear everything is in working order again! As for the tightening up of those spaces can you send me the link to the site so I can see about possibly getting you some CSS adjust that padding?

6. Lance Evans

7. Norman Durkee

Can you try inserting an HTML box into Muse and pasting this code into it and let me know if that works. The padding has been adjusted to 0 so that is the closest I would be able to get everything from within the widget, there may be something you can do from Tumblr's end while typing the post, that however I'm not sure about. Hopefully this helps and let me know if it works! Also note that if it does work you may need to adjust everything down alittle sense the text will be pushed up slightly from the 0 padding.

Code:
    <style>

#blog1 .mt-tumblr-body {
        padding: 0px 0px 0 0px;
    }
    #blog1 .mt-tumblr-body img, .blog1-full .mt-tumblr-body img {
        margin-bottom: 0;
    }

</style>

8. Lance Evans

Thank you Norman. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and let you know. And yes, I looked for any controls on the tumblr side, but could not find any. I used the simplest template they had. I think.

Best,
    Lance

9. Norman Durkee

Sounds good Lance, and just a heads up Mumblr doesn't actually inherit any styling from Tumblr or its theme, I was referring to when creating the post's themselves if possibly it gives you any spacing options? Also you may be pleased to hear that I have tested your site on Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge and Opera browsers and none of them are showing any content shifting! I'm on a Win 10 machine.

10. Lance Evans

Haha...don't you sleep? Can I hire you?

Glad it works on all of those browsers. I'm running Chrome "Version 48.0.2564.116 m", on Win 7, and it is still doing it. Again, not terrible, but would like to fix it when I have more time.

I'll get back to you on how your code worked later, or tomorrow.

Best,
    Lance

11. Norman Durkee

Let's just say, me and coffee have a very close relationship lol. I've been putting some thought into your shifting issue and this may or may not be the culprit, however I have had this issue personally in the past where the page becomes longer than it is when it loads and thus the browser generates a scroll bar on the right side, that scroll bar will slightly push everything over to the left. Also have you tried grouping the items together? Often times with the new version of Muse grouping is an awesome way to keep items together, and often can be a simple way to ease the headaches of items not responding properly when resizing the page.