Nothing showing for background video

Discussion in 'SHOW Responsive Video Suite' started by Jamin Ver Velde, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Jamin Ver Velde

Jamin Ver Velde Member

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong--if anything. I watched the tutorials. I put in the widget including the Toolbox for background video and nothing is showing at all. I've tried both background video and section video. Nothing shows up--including a poster image. I'm on Adobe Muse 2017.0.

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Jamin, could you show me a screen shot of your settings in the fly out panel?
    Dj

3. Steve Harris

Steve Harris Museologist Staff Member Moderator

Hey Jamin - one important note for any video widget is that it often needs to be uploaded to a server (published) to preview properly. So just push the site up to BC, or publish it online to your host to test the video functionality...

Thanks!
    SH

4. Jamin Ver Velde

Jamin Ver Velde Member

Thanks, Steve. I tried that too. Still nothing.

5. Steve Harris

Any chance you could post a link for us to take a look at? We can inspect the code and check out the video link...
    Thanks!

6. Jamin Ver Velde

Jamin Ver Velde Member

I just put it on top of this site for now: http://bknbox.com/ (The video showing in the background is through a different widget.)
    Thanks for taking a look!

7. Jamin Ver Velde

Jamin Ver Velde Member

Anyone have an idea of what's going on here?

8. DjHerold

Jamin, if you could post a screen shot of your fly out settings for the widget, it would be a big help.
    Also, you design in Muse. For example, if you are using the section mode, have yo created a 'Section/rectangle'?
    These things would be great if I could see how you've set things up.
    Thanks
    Dj

9. Jamin Ver Velde

Jamin Ver Velde Member

After much tinkering I finally got this to work. Still have no idea what I'm doing differently now--other than moving the widget from a home page to the MASTER home page. But I tried re-importing the widget to the other site I've linked above and it started working there as well without changing which page it was placed on. Confused. But ready to move on.

10. Clayton75

Clayton75 Member

Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 2.46.38 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 2.46.22 PM.png

This widget worked beautifully for me on first try... and then it stopped working entirely. It's a self-hosted background video with a section container and graphic style attached to it. I didn't change anything about it from when it was working. The only thing I did after was change some text symbols to glyphs throughout the site (which didn't work, but that's another topic)... so I'm stumped as to why the video widget would just stop working suddenly. I can't even see the static background image. Initially the video worked like a dream on 3 different browsers, and now it doesn't work on any of them.

For the record, I am publishing to BC to view. I tried deleting and re-upping the video files (along with uploading ALL files, not just modified files) but that didn't do any good.

11. Steve Harris

Hey Clayton - happy to have a look. Any chance you'd be willing to share your BC link?

Few things I've seen recently...
    - Does the frame that you're targeting have any weird settings applied? It MUST have a simple fill (or Muse doesn't even render it) so just ensure it's 100% opacity, fill applied, etc.
    - Try recreating the graphic style and reapplying. Sometimes styles get modified, Muse gets confused, etc.

I can look closer once we see the link, but those are the most common culprits for issues like this!

Cheers :)
    SH

12. Clayton75

Clayton75 Member

Thanks for the speedy reply, @Steve! I left the office prior to reading this so I can't double check the frame until tomorrow morning... although I do know the graphic style is applied correctly and I'm not sure how I would have lowered the opacity, but who knows! The link is http://foligaintest.businesscatalyst.com .

btw - There is a frame with a gradient fill on top of the video frame, but that was there before when it was working, so I don't think that's the problem.

13. Steve Harris

Hey Clayton - replied to you via email as well, but check to make sure the frame you've targeted isn't grouped with any others. I had a quick peek at the code and wondered if that might be the problem...

14. Clayton75

Clayton75 Member

Hi again Steve - Nothing was grouped, the style was unmodified.... so I just deleted and then redid the frame and graphic style and it works again now! Like you said, sometimes Muse gets confused, which seems to be the case here. Easy fix, just hope it behaves from now on. :)

Thanks again for your quick response and assistance!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  15. Steve Harris

Glad to hear it! You're welcome :) Have a good weekend

16. Clayton75

Clayton75 Member

Wait, am I crazy? Check this out... I'm noticing some sketchy behavior again. If I load the published site, all seems well. But then if I navigate to another page and then click "HOME" in the navigation menu, the video doesn't show up... at least not consistently. I keep trying it on various browsers and they all seem to be giving me the same issue of inconsistency. I reckon there's variances in loading times and maybe some weird sticking potential, but even if I resize the browser it's not showing up much of the time.

http://foligaintest.businesscatalyst.com

17. Clayton75

Clayton75 Member

Are you able to look into why the video doesn't want to load when navigating back to the home page? It's potentially a deal breaker for using this widget. Thank you!

18. DjHerold

Clayton, I suggest you place a support ticket on this (resources>contact us).
    This looks like something the team would need to see a Muse file on.
    Thanks
    Dj

19. Clayton75

Clayton75 Member

Thanks, I'll open a ticket. I just thought maybe you guys could replicate this in any test site with multi-page navigation, if you haven't already.

20. DjHerold

Clayton, with something like this, it's tough to replicate.
    This isn't something I'm seeing a lot of issues with, so a ticket could rule out any design or other widget conflict.
    Thanks
    Dj