No scroll effects with responsive?

Discussion in 'General Muse' started by Carl, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Carl

Carl Member

So it seems you can not have scroll effects in responsive mode? That is really disappointing because isn't that half the reason to design in Muse?

2. Norman Durkee

Norman Durkee Well-Known Member Moderator

Hey @Carl , unfortunately at the moment you cannot use scroll effects with a Fluid Width project "Responsive", however you can still change it to "Fixed Width" when you start a new project and that will give you the Scroll Effects option back, you will have all the new goodies that came with the new update you just wont have the responsive feature with the Fixed Width option. Hope that helps! And if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask!

PS: There has been talk over at Adobe about possibly re-implementing Scroll Effects into the responsive Muse in the future so just keep an eye on that ;)

3. Carl

Carl Member

@Norman Durkee What other updates? I might have missed those but i thought the only update was the responsive part.

4. Norman Durkee

Norman Durkee Well-Known Member Moderator

Yes the main update was the highly anticipated responsive, however there were some other small things that came with the update as well, like the ability to add "State Transitions" built rite into muse, and also the new collapsible widget panels! This will allow more widget options to be added then before without the fear of the panel going off screen!

5. Carl

Carl Member

interesting, thanks

6. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Carl, I would highly recommend clicking on the items on the opening splash screen of Muse. It has a link to all the new features Muse offers in this release.
    To add to the issue of the scrolling features, the reason responsive does not have that set of tools available (but hopefully will in a future release), is because Scroll motion is based on setting a position on your page, it's where everything starts (and stops). Im a fluid design, when you're on a device that is smaller or larger than the size you set your positioning to begin, there is no way to controll what happens and when on other devices. Adobe is being pressed on this, and I wouldn't be surprised if in a release not too distant, they would have some kind of a fix.
    Thanks
    Dj

KLB and Norman Durkee like this.
  7. ALW08

ALW08 Member

So for clarification, I deployed a site about 2 weeks ago with an accompanying mobile site. If I'd now like to make that original site responsive and remove the separate mobile version, what exactly do I need to do? I am also currently building a different site and just updated to the newer release, but would obviously like to develop this into a responsive site as well. I may be missing it, but where are the instructions for transitioning an existing site with widgets to the new responsive platform?

8. DjHerold

Alw08, I would highly recommend that you watch our videos on the new responsive features of the new release. You must be a subscriber to access those videos, but they are really great.
    Part of the series explains the process of taking an older site and changing it to responsive. Another portion talks about the differences in widgets.
    One thing anyone new must know in advance is it's not a one button instantly change type of transition. You will be rebuilding your site, but you have a design head start, and can possibly re use some or most of your assists.
    Hope this helps
    Dj

9. ALW08

ALW08 Member

I am a member. I will look for those videos- there seemed to be a teaser of a tutorial/training, but I seem to be overlooking that. Perhaps, it would be helpful to create a separate video (or at least indicate a time marker) for transitioning existing designs. Thanks for all you do- it is much appreciated.

10. DjHerold

ALW08, the videos you're looking for would be #11 and #12 of the responsive series
    DJ

11. ALW08

ALW08 Member

Perfect! Thanks so much.

12. David Kearney

David Kearney Member

So the best feature in the new release renders the best feature in the previous versions unusable. fantastic...how this got past multiple approvals is mind blowing

13. DjHerold

David, you still have scroll effects in Muse, just not in a fluid muse site. You can set your site to be fixed (adaptive multiple designs) and still use scroll effects. As I stated above "To add to the issue of the scrolling features, the reason responsive does not have that set of tools available (but hopefully will in a future release), is because Scroll motion is based on setting a position on your page, it's where everything starts (and stops). Im a fluid design, when you're on a device that is smaller or larger than the size you set your positioning to begin, there is no way to controll what happens and when on other devices. Adobe is being pressed on this, and I wouldn't be surprised if in a release not too distant, they would have some kind of a fix."
    I know this isn't optimal, and I wish they didn't release until they had the biggies figured out, but this is what the cost is for this new feature set.....so far.
    Sorry
    Dj

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  14. pedro vargas

pedro vargas New Member

Please, How I create a layout for mobile with Fixed width? I'ts possible?

15. pedro vargas

pedro vargas New Member

I want the scroll effect in mobile, how? (sorry my english)

16. DjHerold

pedro, to use Muse like you did before responsive, all you need to do is set up the page as 'Fixed width'.
    You do this either by selecting, file>new site. When you get the dialog box change fluid width to fixed width. This will allow you to operate like before.
    Dj

17. tiCreativeMedia

tiCreativeMedia New Member

in previous versions to thwart this, we were able to actually create a tablet and mobile version, even though they were not responsive. Is that still available and if so, where because I haven't found it.

Dave

18. Jeremei

Jeremei Well-Known Member

Hi Dave!

You must go to "Page" and choose "Add Alternate Layout".

tiCreativeMedia likes this.
  19. tiCreativeMedia

tiCreativeMedia New Member

ok, perfect... and just to confirm since I haven't tested this yet, but the initial html file used to be able to detect the device and load the correct site. Is this still the case?

Thank You!!
    Dave

20. Jeremei

Jeremei Well-Known Member

As far as I have understood it should work as you mentioned, as before.