Solved New website to replace a wordpress site.

Discussion in 'General Muse' started by Robbie Wright, Jan 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robbie Wright

Robbie Wright Member

Hi, i have been asked by a client to re-design his Locksmiths website, this guy has had a website for over 25yrs done by themselves in wordpress. BUT they have asked me to re build their site (in MUSE) but are worried about any SEO implications e.g. they dont want to loose 25yrs of organic SEO Ranking on google etc.... Am i correct in thinking that as long as i replace the files on the same servers there should be a minimal impact?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Steve Harris

Steve Harris Museologist Staff Member Moderator

Hey Robbie,

Good (and tough) question. I'll chat about this with some of my developers who are Wordpress gurus, but in my experience I think you're on the right track. It's always a little scary replacing a site with a different platform, and in my experience there is usually a temporary SEO impact. If the original site is 25 years old and made by the owners, it's probably got some nasty legacy stuff in it Google doesn't like anyways. Maybe you'll see a boost in rankings once you move!

In terms of replacing files, definitely you'd want to keep the same folder / site structure as you had on the last if you can. Although you could encounter some obstacles. Muse dumps all of the top level html files into a single folder, and depending on the complexity of your Wordpress site (and the hierarchy in it) it might not be possible to mimic the exact same folder structure.

In cases where you can't retain the original link, you should use 301 redirects to tell Google where the new pages / content have permanently gone. With them implemented properly, Google will just reference the new page and update your search results accordingly. I'm sure Google expects websites to be redesigned / moved around every few years, so it would be crazy to penalize seriously for it – however it does expect you'll make it's job easy by showing it the new structure, creating redirects, updating sitemaps, etc.

Here's a decent guide on website migration I found online:
    https://www.branded3.com/blog/websi...ilding-an-seo-checklist-for-moving-your-site/

Big project! Good luck.

~Steve

3. Robbie Wright

Robbie Wright Member

Hi Steve, first of all thank you for taking time out to answer my question, i really appreciate it. i completely agree with you, in the long run having the new site will only benefit them and their business as everything will be up to date using best practice. i will explain to them the pitfalls and positives and hopefully i can convince them to push ahead. I have downloaded the article and i will ensure im up to speed on what i should be doing.

Thanks again

Robbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.