Solved Muse Newbie - One Page Website

Discussion in 'Templates' started by Craig_Spaven, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craig_Spaven

Craig_Spaven New Member

I’ve been tasked with creating a one page site for one of our company’s four brands. It doesn’t need to be overly complicated, just needs to be visually appealing. I’m proficient in InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and I’ve done a basic Muse course. What would you recommend as the best way of going about this? Some of the templates look like they may work well or would you suggest starting from scratch, or using wireframes? Any advice welcome!

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Craig, hopefully others will comment, there are a lot of talented designers in this forum.
    But my two cents....
    Based on what you've stated about your specific abilities, I'd say you should be able to use any of those methods.
    Using Wire frames can be a quick and easy way, if you like a building block approach to design. They allow you to 'Plug and Play' so to speak. Using this is similar to my comment below about using a Template.
    Using a Template is always a great starting point (there are a ton of them in our library). What I always point out when using a Template is, to get a good grasp on how Muse's 'Layers' panel works first. Most people that are newer to Muse think that grabbing a pre made Template will mean no work, easy peasie. What comes next is a series of questions that frustrate a new user, not because of the template, but because of the Nuances of Muse itself. Learning to identify, locate, and choose items and groups in the Layers panel can make the difference of an easy design process and a frustrating one.
    Why would a Wire frames or a pre made Template, that is already designed and only requires stylizing, be any trouble?
    Primarily, because most designers will change so much more than images and text (which is usually their original intent).
    Your knowledge of the Muse basics (and I consider the layers panel one of the most important basics in Muse) can make Muse fun or frustrating.
    From scratch.....the most fun, but it's the most difficult of the three.
    For a one page site, "Stunning" will depend on your ability as a designer and the knowledge you have of Muse. Don't overload your site with a million file heavy images. Learn how to use typography, and responsive text formatting, Go light on the number and types of widgets you use. More isn't always better.
    Navigation is always a challenge, so stick with traditional style menu's and techniques. Remember, the site is for your users, not you, and as such they need to know where everything is.
    If building from scratch, I recommend looking into using fixed and fluid Break Points (remember, a responsive site can be both.).
    Lastly, Identify what you want your site to be 'Before' you begin. Layout your sections, know where your links and anchors need to be.
    We have a ton of videos to watch on everything from Responsive design to SEO and everything in between. Take advantage of those.
    And, as always
    If you have any questions, this is the place to come to.
    Good Luck
    Dj

Craig_Spaven likes this.
  3. Craig_Spaven

Craig_Spaven New Member

Thanks for the detailed reply, much appreciated!

4. michael ohnikia

michael ohnikia Member

Craig!

Based on the above, I would recommend using the "Union" template.

https://www.muse-themes.com/products/union

It is a one page site, but offers you the ability to edit Desktop, Tablet, and Phone versions. Using Muse, I have learned that you run into fewer problems using this method instead of a completely responsive theme (Widget resizing problems, etc.). Although you will have to edit each one individually, it is the most viable option.

Give it a try. It is appealing and you have the knowledge to make it even better with AI & PS!

Knock it out of the park!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.