Sticky Mumblr Update - User Testing

Discussion in 'Mumblr' started by Steve Harris, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Darron

Darron Active Member

Thanks for the clarification Kevin.

2. gtdesigns

gtdesigns Member

The "Read More" functionality is great and the speed of your fixes is excellent!

Right now it takes you to tumblr to read the full post but is there a way to keep the user in the Muse site instead? I want to engage the user within my Muse website environment and taking them to tumblr negates that.

3. Steve Harris

Steve Harris Museologist Staff Member Moderator

Would you prefer a lightbox, or it opens a whole new page in the browser? What about a small browser window?

Darron likes this.
  4. gtdesigns

gtdesigns Member

All of those options sound good actually. My blog is going to have more writing than photos and videos and I really want to showcase my travel blog as I am writing a book. Whatever option you guys choose it would be really great to be able to have lots of control over the styling of the full blog post if possible.

The lightbox suggestion might be a nice touch now that I am thinking about it.

Also, do you guys sleep ever?

5. Steve Harris

I was secretly hoping you would say lightbox.

The MT team is hilarious - our chat is way more active at night. We're all remote, so lots of flexible hours and night owls

Norman Durkee and Darron like this.
  6. gtdesigns

gtdesigns Member

I really appreciate your efforts guys. I wish I received this level of customer satisfaction from every company I deal with!

Norman Durkee likes this.
  7. Darron

Darron Active Member

Another vote for the lightbox.
    I figured you guys were busy getting the current version of the widget solid so I didn't want to start asking for new features.
    But, keeping viewers on the site with the content opening in a lightbox, instead of in a new windows or tab would be amazing for me!
    Is it a simple matter?

8. berndt

berndt Well-Known Member

And one more vote for the lightbox from here :)

9. gtdesigns

gtdesigns Member

As long as the lightbox can be large and the user can scroll down to see all of the post.

10. Norman Durkee

Norman Durkee Well-Known Member Moderator

I agree with @Darron with you guys so diligently working on finishing up the widget I dint want to be "that guy" that starts asking for new features lol.

As for the Lightbox I +1 that!

Darron likes this.
  11. Steve Harris

Just chatted with Kevin, and we're looking at adding the lightbox functionality (no promises... yet).

We wanted to push out this update today, but we're loving have you guys test and provide feedback. So we're going to go big, and see about adding a few more things and release the update next week. In the meantime we might have a new beta ready for you to try out later today!

Thanks again for helping out!

Norman Durkee, gtdesigns and Darron like this.
  12. Brandon

Brandon Widgetsman Staff Member Advisory Group

13. Norman Durkee

Norman Durkee Well-Known Member Moderator

Not only does the post appear in a light box but the images also open in a light box!! Awesome! Keeping the viewer on the clients site while reading there posts is going to really help keep them engaged rather than the old method of bouncing them to the Tumblr page. This looks and feels damn near perfect in v4. I will continue testing though. Great work everyone!

14. Darron

Darron Active Member

Holy Crap!
    I can't wait to try it out.
    Speeding back now!

Brandon and Norman Durkee like this.
  15. gtdesigns

gtdesigns Member

Oh, it's so pretty!

16. gtdesigns

gtdesigns Member

A very minor detail but when I hover over the "X" to close the lightbox it seems a little off. What I mean is I have to put the cursor to the left of the "X" a little and then click to close. Not a deal-breaker by any means but just wanted to let you know.

I am running the latest version of El Capitan (10.11.2) in safari on a mid 2012 MBP w/retina display. If that helps.

Great job guys!

17. Kevin DuCommun

Kevin DuCommun Developer Staff Member

Thanks for the feedback @gtdesigns ill take a look at that cursor issue

18. gtdesigns

gtdesigns Member

Now that I have played around with it for a bit I see the downside of the lightbox. Although it looks great you cannot link directly to a full blog post. Not sure what the alternative is. Having it open in a new page I guess but not sure how that would work as the widget would have to create a whole new page with its own URL.

In addition:
    The ability to sort by tags would be nice.
    The ability to add commenting to each blog post.

Despite all of that this is a great widget and by far the best way so far to embed a tumblr blog into Muse.

19. Brandon

Thanks @gtdesigns, this is all great feedback.

I would love to be able to link directly to a particular blog post. Unfortunately, it's just technically impossible due to the way that we're fed the Tumblr content.

Commenting for each blog is also not possible within the context of this widget. We've kept the idea of a full "Pro" version of a Tumblr blog as an option in the future, which would allow for us to pull and post additional Tumblr content, like commenting and likes. This route would make for a much more complex setup - with the need for uploading helper files, and would take on more of a "Tumblr" blog look. We chose this route because of it's "lite-ness" and simplicity - and above all, the ability to display it as most anything you like.

As for tags, fortunately, you CAN do tags in the new version. Look for the "Filter By Tag" param in the options. Now you can use one blog in multiple ways.

Cheers

20. Brandon

Any final issues? Thoughts?

Thank you all for giving chipping in on testing this widget up! We're grateful for the help, and excited to release a thoroughly tested widget update.

Norman Durkee likes this.