Solved Media Pro 2.1 is out but how to update an existing site?

Discussion in 'Media Pro Gallery' started by WestCoastDude, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WestCoastDude

WestCoastDude Member

I downloaded the latest version. Deleted v2.0 and installed 2.1 but my site still uses v2.0.
    Please don't tell me I have to redo everything from scratch?

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

West, I may be missing your point but I think you are saying you have added the new version to your "Library", but have NOT added it to your site, then yes, you are correct, you need to remove the old widget and add the new widget to your site.
    This does require you to reload your images and information ect.
    Muse does not have the ability to Auto update widgets.
    Your site will still display the old version unless it's been changed out manually.
    Now, having said that, always be sure that the new functions or fixes of a new version ((v2.1) - Added separate image Alt tag field (in addition to Alt tags applied by Caption Text field), Added positioning options for default collection buttons (left, center, right), fixed bug causing trouble displaying 2 or 3 column views in certain circumstances.), are necessary for your particular site before you update.
    If it's a non functional issue (like the button positioning option), then you may consider using the version you have.
    If you are using custom buttons, you can still use the elements, just link them to your styles and widget controllers.
    I know that updating can be a pain in a lot of cases with large amounts of images. Hopefully someday Muse may allow auto updating.
    Dj

3. WestCoastDude

WestCoastDude Member

Ok thanks, it confirms what I suspected. I`ll skip this version then until my wishlist are added in. Just too tedious and time consuming to deal with the loader at this point.

4. Lance Evans

Lance Evans Well-Known Member

Really? Wow, rhat's pretty rough on we designer/devs. Especially with how slow the set-up process is. It would be nice if one could at least export and then import that info (texts, image links, settings) between versions.

5. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Lance, unfortunately this is a Muse issue, not a widget one in this case.
    What I do recommend, is looking at our new Connect Series widgets for the ability to do what you're looking for.
    The Connect widgets (like the Gallery Connect in this instance) allows for spreadsheet setup and content, that can be updates in real time (using Google sheets) or through a local setup using a CSV file.
    Both are easy to learn and after initial setup can be used even if we update the widget.
    The only real difference between the MPG2.1 widget and the Gallery Connect (because there are multiple galleries to choose from) is the ability to have the category set up in MPG2.1.
    Take a look, if you already haven't, I think you'll like it.
    Thanks
    Dj

6. Lance Evans

Lance Evans Well-Known Member

Thank you DJ,

I don't pretend to know the limitations Muse places on its widget capabilities. I'm just saying a way to export/import would seem to be within reasonable expectations. Even it it just meant an interface that allowed copy/paste within the interface. But if you say Muse won't allow it, I certainly take your word for it.

The other Connect gallery is certainly the one I should have gone with. Though I didn't for the reason I didn't know MPG had as many issues as it does (despite being very powerful and beautiful, which it certainly is).

I would love to have my other thread answered, about the newest version of Muse (2018.0) exacerbating the issue of MPG overlaying the items that follow on a page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.