Solved Long wait for video to appear...

Discussion in 'SHOW Responsive Video Suite' started by Tiffie122, Apr 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiffie122

Tiffie122 New Member

I'm using the latest version of the SHOW widget and it works great other than the fact that it takes a while for it to appear on the uploaded site. It can take about 30 sec. to almost a minute for it to show up. It's the header of the site I built and we want it to catch visitors right away. It's 21 MB which I know is kind of big, but this was never an issue before with other widgets I tried or before the updates to this widget. Does anyone know a decent size file it should be to upload in a quicker time? Or has anyone come across this problem?

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Tiffie, I would first try another video in the same set up, just to make sure. Then I'd suggest trying to re do the video by using one of the free video codex sites like http://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-webm.
    See if that helps.
    Dj

3. Tiffie122

Tiffie122 New Member

I tried both options, but still no luck.

4. quietghostdesign

quietghostdesign Member

Hey,

I frequently add video to websites, and can give you some advice! I also do video production, and have experience in editing and compressing video for lower bandwidth needs. Your file needs to be much smaller than 21mb. You may have noticed that the video is loading more slowly after an update to the SHOW widget, but I'd wonder if this was just a coincidence. 21mb is really large for embedded video, and I'd always expect it to take 30 seconds to load with average connection speeds. I'm guessing you've selected the local video option in the widget, and have uploaded an .mp4 and .webm? There's a bunch of technical stuff that goes along with why you need to use much smaller files when you're self hosting like you are. But to the point, when you're hosting a video file like this, it's optimal for the file size to be below 5mb. Even smaller, if possible.

There are a few ways to compress your video. The most obvious is, make it shorter. How long is your video? To me, video should really only be embedded in a site if it communicates a message, or acts as a tool of engagement. If the video is over 10 seconds long, can it be edited? Would it serve the same purpose if it were only 10 seconds long? The next way to compress your video is by encoding it's data into a new, smaller format. If the video is 1080p, take it down to 720p. A header video will look just fine at 720p. If there is embedded audio, remove it. It's normally considered intrusive, and removing the audio will reduce the file size. The most important data to change is the bitrate. The video should maintain a balance of quality/bitrate. The lowest bitrate possible, is preferable. For a video that started as a 1080p file with with a bitrate of 50mbps, I would normally reduce the quality to a target bitrate of 5mbps and change the aspect ration to 720p. Embedded video doesn't need to look perfect, people are accustomed to seeing a little pixelation. Once you've created this smaller .mp4 file, be sure to create another copy of the .webm file, using the new .mp4.

I unfortunately can't recommend a good free program to encode/compress video files. I use Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Media Encoder. If you're using Muse, I assume you are paying the subscription fee? If so, you have access to Adobe Media Encoder and can make all of these changes yourself. If not, and you will be creating sites with embedded video frequently, it might be worth it to update your subscription to include all Adobe programs.

As a side note, I'm not sure if this has something to do with the widget, the browser, or it's just the nature of self-hosted videos. But I've noticed that embedded background videos, whether partial or full screen, open considerably faster on Chrome than Safari. Take a look at a site I'm almost finished with. The background video takes a few seconds to load on Safari, but loads instantly on Chrome. thebackdoor.businesscatalyst.com. I have no idea why. I haven't done enough research about it yet, but it most likely has something to do with which video file the browser is accessing, whether it's the .mp4 or .webm. Chrome is choosing the file that works best for itself, and is somehow rendering the video extremely fast.

I hope this helps!

britta, Majack and somedude like this.
  5. EyesChone

EyesChone New Member

Tiffie, I wonder if you still need an answer? I have been using such programs a lot to help solving the problem. For instance, the software of wonderfox is pretty useful, it can convert to a smaller file at the same time keep original quality. If you still need such software, you can download it from the article avi android, and if you do not like this, you also can try winx..:D

6. Kelziah

Kelziah New Member

There's something wrong with the widget itself I have the same issue but it tends to freeze up any browser. My site is about 10MB but the pages with the video on it ends up being 280MB and thats because the widget is causing the same file to load over and over while creating errors. I would know more but MT is currently ignoring my requests.

I suggest you use tools.pingdom.com and see whats the actual size of the page the video is on.
    https://tools.pingdom.com/#!/cC5asz/http://test.kelziahatwork.com this is my results even though the video in question is 7.4MB

Attached Files:

7. quietghostdesign

quietghostdesign Member

There is no such thing as "converting to a smaller file and keeping original quality".

8. quietghostdesign

quietghostdesign Member

Muse Themes is incredible at ignoring requests they don't know how to solve, which is many. They're also incredible at making Adobe Muse and their own widgets seem infallible. Embellishment is the name of the game.

Kelziah likes this.
  9. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

quiet, while you are entitled to your opinion, your last comments are neither constructive nor helpful.
    If you have a complaint or request, please place it through a support ticket (resources>contact us).
    Our owner takes our products and the way others feel about them very seriously, so please, give the team a shot at dealing with any of your concerns.
    Thank you in advance
    Dj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.