Latest Safari version blocking auto-play

Discussion in 'SHOW Responsive Video Suite' started by Bill Nelson, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson Member

I have MT folk looking into this, but thought I'd try my luck on the forums. Latest iterations of Safari won't play my background video at www.nelsonmedia.com (check it out)

In all other browsers background video works as advertised. Turns out Safari's own Webkit OS document describes not allowing videos with audio to play. The video being used for my background has no audio track, and 'mute audio' is selected in the widget, but still no joy in Safari. Worse yet, my home page in Safari appears unresponsive for at least 10 seconds before the fallback still image loads and allows my viewers into the site.

Even more worse yet, background videos in websites created by SquareSign play just fine on the latest Safari version. Weird. Has someone on the forum found a workaround?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  2. Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson Member

Anybody else?

BillyD likes this.
  3. esthert67

esthert67 New Member

Yes, there is a beta-1.4 version. And it worked for me! I can't upload it for you. But I've mailed this question and get the reply with the betaversion att.

Bill Nelson likes this.
  4. Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson Member

Awesome to hear, thanks. Can't be soon enough, I say!

5. Chuck Nigash

Chuck Nigash Active Member

Ugh. I just learned the hard way, too. Any way to get that 1.4v soon???

6. Chuck Nigash

This is a widget/webkit problem. No Chrome or Safari on the Mac. Firefox plays well. No Chrome on the PC. Firefox, Edge on the PC are fine.

7. Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson Member

This is a serious issue for rich media content folks who rely on impressive full-screen video. A deal-breaker.

8. Chuck Nigash

It's huge. I cant count the websites on all fours that use full-screen motion. Surprised there isnt a greater / longer thread. I had this working in August. Had to have broken in the update

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.