Is it legal?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by LukeJacksonDesign, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Hi everyone, this is my first post here. This looks like a great community which I'm excited to be a part of!

So I have a general design question regarding the use of another businesses logo...
    Is it legal/advised to apply another businesses logo in promotional material if that promotional material is ONLY going to the business being referenced?

To put it into context I am trying to target several small local businesses and have decided to create personalised homepage templates for each. Originally I was going to use all content and images from the clients existing website BUT I figured that would break copyright laws so instead I was going to just use the businesses logo in place my own and make the rest of it original content. The purpose for using the businesses logo is so that they are aware the website layout is personal to them and connects with them more.

2. Norman Durkee

Norman Durkee Well-Known Member Moderator

Hello @LukeJacksonDesign , the rule of thumb in these situations is that so long as your not making money from the content or trying to pass it off as your own (ie, don't give credit to owner), you should be in the clear. From what you've explained your trying to do I don't see there being any major problems, but I would definitely make it known to the business that it is simply a Mock Up to show an example, you shouldn't run into any issues but if for some reason you are asked to remove it, then just remove it :)

3. Thanks for the very helpful reply. I hoped that'd be the case :)

Norman Durkee likes this.
  4. asifnm

asifnm Well-Known Member

This has been done by many designers in the past when they are starting out so I don't see it as being a problem, but be carefull that you only send the design to the company whose logo it is, do not use it in any form of advertising or reference.

5. Mike Valkanet

Mike Valkanet Well-Known Member

Probably not a big deal, although there is no replacement for being able to talk an angry person out of being angry should it ever become a problem.

You'll have to update us and let us know if this marketing technique was worth your efforts or not...

6. Ziya Pathan

Ziya Pathan Guest

In most jurisdictions, using the corporate logo would likely require their permission as it would be protected as a trademark. Even if they're clients with whom you have a good relationship you would be wise to contact them first to determine their policy. They may not have a problem at all but you need to cover your bases when it comes to intellectual property, in the interest of good business relations. I know this from first hand experience.