Solved Is anyone using Business Catalyst with Muse?

Discussion in 'General Muse' started by Sarah, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I am considering using BC with Muse to offer more comprehensive websites to clients, including Blog, CMS, analytics, CRM etc. that comes with BC. Is anyone already using BC with Muse and if so, can we PM?

Thanks!

2. Jeremei

Jeremei Well-Known Member

Sarah!
    Here is the link to Youtube where you can find in my opinion the best and newest video tutorials how to add BC Blog to Adobe Muse. There are 4 parts in this video tutorial serial and it is a little bit more advanced way to add BC Blog to Adobe Muse but you can make a trial blog and test the feature.

Sarah likes this.
  3. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Thanks Jeremei! I actually watched the series which prompted my question. I'm curious how the rest of the BC works with Muse (to see if it's worth it). Would love to hear from anyone fully using BC Marketing.

4. Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor Member

Hi Sarah we use some of the BC modules for our site www.trackersecurity.co.uk we use News, FAQ and Downloads. We also intended to use Site Forum and Blog modules but are waiting redesign on visuals of the site. It's not as straight forward as it should be, considering these are both Abobe products. Its also not easy to control the exact layout....the BC modules styling is pretty bland so we to make it fit within our website theme we used a Muse template page as a code generator.

Sarah likes this.
  5. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Thanks Richard. That's very helpful. I'm thinking I might stick with using WordPress blog integration into Muse.

6. Jeremei

I do not know whether this is ever possible in Adobe Muse, but "the cousin" of Muse (Adobe Business Catalyst) gives customers a very easy editing opportunity. Is it possible for Muse-Themes to explore more about the use of BC in your own themes or have you done it already?
    https://codeproduction.ez-bc.com/juss-demo

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Sarah likes this.
  7. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Yes, this is exactly what I'd like to understand more clearly too. How well BC and Muse play together, including the blogging component and all the other bits, what can/can't be done, and is the experience of IBE better (because anytime I give IBE to clients it goes awry/breaks/does strange things!). I wouldn't mind paying the $$ for BC if it filled the gaps of what is lacking in Muse. You would think Adobe would have something about this somewhere... perhaps I'll give them a call.

8. Jeremei

Steve and other MT members!

I am as concerned as Sarah that the Muse-users should receive new features to Adobe Muse!

The new Adobe Muse team has been working for almost a year. What new features have been added to Muse? The answer is: Nothing significant. When will we receive Adobe's own fully responsive widgets? Hopefully in Adobe Max in October 2017???
    I do not have much expectations about the ability of Adobe Muse to meet the challenges of the time, even though I love the software itself!

Fortunately, Muse-Themes team has continued to evolve widgets and helped us, non-coders, to get bread for our table.

If I remember correctly, Steve mentioned in a message, probably a fair year ago, that to web designing is becoming more and more block elements. This really has been happened and the trend is going to continue at an accelerating speed. The Adobe Muse team will hardly stay in speed of development if it does not do something really revolutionary.

My questions to Steve & MT-team are:

1) I repeat Sarah's question, that is, what features of Business Catalyst can be used in Muse and is it possible for MT to bring those features for our use in Muse?

2) I have looked at some interesting, new beta editor softwares, which are based on a block elements, that is, the content of pages is added by using block elements. This in itself is nothing new, but I would like to ask Steve and MT-team: Is it possible that MT itself would develop (or find) an external content editor, or, in co-operation with Adobe Muse??? The new editor software should work a bit in the same way as Wordpress new "Gutenberg" editor (beta at the moment); you need to create only a single layout in one breakpoint and site will work fully responsively?

I'm not the only one who is worried about the slow development of Adobe Muse, we are probably thousands. I believe that website designers would be willing to pay even a little more if they had an access to an easy-to-use, fast and versatile external editor, based on block elements. I do not know if this is possible, but I can at least hope???

Successful Development Work to MT-team!!!

Sarah likes this.
  9. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

I wish I had the ear of the Adobe Muse Product Manager. My business relies on Adobe Muse and I am afraid of the longevity of the software. I am assuming that being a subscription based product and also being quite tricky to master, that Muse is used mostly by freelancers and agencies which really makes it super imperative to improve it. If it wasn't for Muse Themes, I would have given up and tried to learn something else. So THANK YOU MT. But my bread and butter relies solely on the success of Adobe Muse so I really hope, to echo Jeremei's sentiments above, there's some good news coming OR a definitive answer about the roadmap for the product.

10. Steve Harris

Steve Harris Museologist Staff Member Moderator

Hey Sarah & Jeremei,

Good comments and questions! Here are my thoughts, as honest as I can be (here comes a novel!). These are my personal opinions only…

Business Catalyst and Muse

From what I know back in the day when Muse started BC was a much bigger product for Adobe. It was an acquisition (they bought the system from another company) and a bunch of companies popped up making themes, etc. In the last few years it looks like BC isn’t much of a priority, and rumor is that Adobe isn’t investing in it anymore. Many of those theme companies have moved to other products, or even started working in the Muse space. I think they saw where BC was headed and knew they had to pivot.

BC seemed like a perfect companion to Muse, but Adobe never really unlocked the doors for deep integration between the two. Maybe because shortly after Muse released, they had concerns over the long-term future of BC. We’ve played around with tying the two systems together, but it was very difficult and didn’t really align with the vision of Muse (simple, no coding required). It was hacky, with lots of code required. So, we never explored it any further. Also, BC used to be crazy expensive I haven’t looked in a while but it wasn’t a good option for smaller businesses and sites.

I can see the potential in us exploring integration, but it’s concerning because who knows how long BC will be around. I’d rather we build you something from scratch that we control, but that’s a big job and something we’ve been exploring since the days of our failed “Agent” project.

Muse Development

It’s painfully slow. Last year Muse moved development to India (from the US) and it seems like the transition has taken a full year. Unfortunately, during this transition we’ve also lost most of our US-based contacts at Adobe (engineers, marketing people, etc.) who have moved on to other projects. With that said we had several meetings at Adobe MAX 2016 with former / current Muse team engineers, but none of our suggestions or priorities have been addressed. Adobe is not inviting outside Muse presenters to MAX 2017, so the MuseThemes team will not be attending.

Adobe desperately needs to put some emphasis on improving the system we use to build Widgets. We proposed several small but important changes to the “Mucow” (Muse Configurable Option Widget) system that would dramatically improve widget stability, ease of development, etc. but so far nothing. Personally, I don’t think Adobe really understands how important the 3rd party market is to Muse – we haven’t had an update to the Mucow system in several years now. It’s probably a bigger job than I could ever understand to make those changes, so maybe our requests were not reasonable from a business standpoint.

Adobe has eluded to working on “responsifying” many of the native Muse widgets, but they say it’s a very complex job and requires a huge effort. I think that’s why we haven’t seen an update in a long time. Hopefully we will see a new update this summer (or MAX at the latest) with some responsive improvements.

Question – which updates would you like to see the most?

Future of Muse

Like you, our business obviously relies on the ongoing success of Adobe Muse. That’s why we work hard on training along with new products, because we want to ensure users are successful with Muse itself, and not just our widgets / themes.

My gut tells me Muse isn’t going away for a while. Adobe wouldn’t invest the money to move it to India unless they intended to keep it rolling. They typically shut down products early – remember Edge Animate? That shut down a few years ago before it ever left the US. All the biggest Adobe products (Photoshop, InDesign, etc.) are all developed in India now, so it’s a positive sign that Muse was moved there.

With that said, it’s clear Muse is not their flashy hood ornament anymore. Adobe XD seems to be the hot commodity, and I see a ton of marketing for it (not to mention center stage at Adobe MAX). So, I’m not expecting to see new Muse features announced on the MAX stage. There would be huge backlash if Adobe shut down Muse without an alternative to it, so I’d be shocked if that happened any time soon.

It’s too bad we don’t receive more constant communication from Adobe. It’s tough for businesses to jump into Muse with both feet if they aren’t sure about its longevity, and we would all appreciate some transparency and updates (good or bad) from Adobe.

If you keep sending us the updates you want to see most in Muse, we’ll do our best to communicate those to Adobe. Muse is still a great product that has come a long way in the last 5 years (and something I believe has a bright future ahead) so all we can do is keep our fingers crossed and be patient.

Cheers!
    SH

Damian Cooper likes this.
  11. Jeremei

Steve!
    Thank you very much for your clarifying answer and a professional approach to dealing with it. I have also noticed that Adobe XD seems to be one of the top development projects at Adobe. Steve, all of the facts you mentioned are alarming and they really are putting me to think about the contingency plans but at the moment we anyway hope the best for Muse and Muse-Themes! :)

12. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Hi Steve,

Adobe would be well-served to take a leaf out of your book when it comes to helping customers feel supported and counted. I really appreciate your response.

Thank you for saving me much precious time looking further into BC which I won't bother with now.

I wish there were a way that you guys could somehow buy out Muse and take over it's development so your hands weren't so tied. I have much more confidence in Muse Themes than I do in Adobe.

Thank you for continuing to provide awesome service. I hope it all works out well for all of us.

Cheers,
    Sarah

13. Jeremei

I absolutely agree with Sarah that the best solution would be if you (Muse-Themes) could buy Muse software in a way or another???
    Sarah, great idea!!! :)

14. paul sullivan

paul sullivan Member

Hi all,

I have been trying to get the secure zone's registration/login thing to work to no avail. Is there anyone out that that can help? I like Business Catalyst for a few reasons but getting some of the features to actually work is pulling teeth. Any replies would be greatly appreciates.

Sarah-where did you end up hosting and are any of your clients requiring members pages?

Thanks

-paul

15. Jeremei

Paul!
    To get better cooperation between BC and Muse is possible to achieve only if BC and Muse teams start real cooperation. But in my opinion the decision must be done at a higher level in the Adobe hierarchy than BC and Muse team product managers. At the moment there is not such kind of info available!

16. berndt

berndt Well-Known Member

Hi MT-Members,
    I've just read this here. Also part of my business is based on Adobe Muse. And I've been worried for months, too, if that will work out for a long time. So I often take a look at what's going on in the big websoftware building tool market. I'm thinking of learning a second tool in parallel, so that the shock does not get too big if Adobe kills Muse. But: I do not want to have to learn to code. I'm a graphic designer, not a coder. If someone has a good tip or experience, which modern, good looking Tool comes close to Adobe Muse, please tell me ;-)
    Best with quickly developement and with good support - and preferably with no monthly fees! (I forgot diff. language support) ;-)
    A Webtool like Serif does with Affinity Designer and AffinityPhoto against Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop would be nice.

17. Jeremei

Berndt!
    I really hope that Muse and BC would start close cooperation in the near future???
    I look forward when Bootstrap 4 will be joined to Dreamweaver! :rolleyes:

18. Jeremei

Berndt!
    If you are interested in possibilites to create websites in another way so you can test this
    https://bootstrapstudio.io/
    - Click "Run Browser Demo"
    - Click "Create New Design"
    - Click "Create"

ps. You must use Google Chrome browser!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.