Is Adobe Muse the right program to build a cost effective responsive site?

Discussion in 'General Muse' started by Mark Palazzo, May 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Mark Palazzo

Mark Palazzo New Member

Our ad agency is currently using Adobe Muse. And as of a couple months ago we have been building responsive sites with it. The way Muse lets you re-layout your design to the responsive sizes takes a lot of extra time that almost doubles our working hours for each web site project. Is there a better program or is this typical when building responsive web sites with any web site program? I would love to know the pros and cons. The bottom line is to keep the cost down for our clients, but still give the a nice responsive site.

Thanks,

Mark

2. asifnm

asifnm Well-Known Member

The majority of responsive sites are built in wordpress and the benefit is that the layout is automatic, you do not have to manually set where elements position themselves. The benefit is of course speed but the drawback is that on mobiles you can end up with very bad layout which makes for bad user experience. With muse you are able to decide exactly how you want the site to look at each breakpoint. Adobe need to work on muse to make it better at placement of elements when creating new breakpoints.

I have found that creating the largest breakpoint first, then adding all the elements before making another breakpoint works a lot better when elements are placed and that leads to a quicker work flow.

calipimousse likes this.
  3. willie555

willie555 Guest

4. Jeremei

Jeremei Well-Known Member

I agree with "asifnm" and "willie555" that Muse is far away if we compare its competitiveness with WordPress / Avada | Responsive Multi-Purpose Theme. Whether it's the work of the designer or the customer's possibilities to edit content on the site.

5. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

It would be nice to know what Adobe is working on and whether we will see improvements in Muse responsive in the near future (perhaps there is somewhere to go for this?).

I have worked a little in WordPress but got quickly frustrated because anytime I wanted to do something beyond the scope of the theme, had to Google or search a forum to find the right code (I am not a coder) and then often the code broke something else. It ended up taking a lot more time, but then again I'm not very familiar with it. The downside, I think, to WordPress is the on-going maintenance of installing security updates and upgrading Plugins. Wondering if you have a lot of clients if this becomes quite time-consuming, or perhaps it's no big deal.

Janne likes this.
  6. asifnm

asifnm Well-Known Member

You can see what's in the next due release by registering here http://museprerelease.com/ you are able to download a beta to test, of course subject to the non-disclosure agreement.

You will always achieve more with wordpress over muse, just as a bulldozer will dig a hole in your garden faster than a spade but you have to be able to operate the bulldozer and depending on the size of the hole, overkill. For the most part muse is fine, yes it's static but you are able to use various widgets to introduce dynamic content (such as agent when it releases). Yes a client will ask for a way to change content, but 90% of that can be catered for by muse and widgets. Clients tend to over judge just how much they will ACTUALLY use the cms, I have clients who have never used the cms in wordpress (even after a few years) I have other clients who will use it a few times in the first week or so and then not update for the rest of the year. Be clear with the client as to how many updates (and to which content) they will need to make, if it's major than go for wordpress, if it can be achieved in muse then go with muse. Yes the responsive part of muse is terrible at the moment but following a few simple guidelines and viewing muse-themes great videos will allow you to speed things up, don't forget that we are still in the first few months of responsive muse, with no major update so far, so teething troubles are to be expected.

7. Jeremei

Jeremei Well-Known Member

I have been a Muse user since the beginning but now the software application development has lagged badly behind Wordpress.
    If Adobe is not going to provide Muse with CMS and with other advanced features (blogs, commenting, search, etc.) in near future so I am going to change to WordPress. E.g. WordPress themes Divi Builder and Avada are almost own applications that can be downloaded to WordPress. By using these multipurpose themes designer does not need to know anything about coding and these themes are the easiest way to create brilliant sites with special effects.
    But maybe we will wait for a moment what Muse Themes is going to do with the Agent?

8. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

My experience is very similar to asifnm's. Clients always think they want to do lots of updates, but never do. The Muse IBE is far easier than WordPress and for anything more complex, the design is often in jeopardy. The blogging part is definitely what I need the most from Muse, as well as an easier/faster way to make things responsive.

Divi drove me nuts! All was good until I needed to make tweaks that weren't covered in the the framework, it then became very time-consuming since I don't know php. I'm sure it's a matter of learning, but I do enjoy Muse much more than WordPress.

9. uncagedcreative

uncagedcreative Active Member

I'm not a big fan of responsive sites, as per a previous commenter mentions, as it leads to a bad user experience (via wordpress) on mobile devices. I prefer to build a desktop/tablet site and a separate mobile site each focusing on the specific needs of that user. I truly wish that Google would quit making my life so frickin hard by preferring responsive over static sites in rankings. As someone at google said, it makes their life easier but makes mine harder. They only have to catalog one site instead of two or three, but I just don't think the user gives a crap and just wants to visit a site that works on their mobile devices correctly.

I have experimented using muse's new responsive tools but I'm not currently offering that to my clients as it doubles and triples my time and I can't charge, in my market, any more to my clients to cover the time. Plus I think they are truly better served by having a dedicated mobile solution.

10. Sean Malloy

Sean Malloy Member

As far as the responsive issue is concerned, I personally love the theory and practice of responsive ability in modern websites (based on the required theme of the specific site design of course). Speaking as a graphic designer turned "web designer", I praise Adobe for launching the Muse program. However, unfortunately I couldn't agree more at this time that Wordpress and other code based platforms are still the "Legit" way to go for building websites. On the contrary though, (my view); I do have WP experience but absolutely hate it as a "non coder". Yes, WP has outstanding themes and amazing plugins that make the sites so very "dynamic" and all out ideal. That being said, (from my knowledge and experience with WP), it does need to be managed on a greater level than a typical Muse site. What I truly hate the most is the plugins and themes that have to be updated and hopefully work in unison together once updated. Sure, WP offers (some) cool stuff to play with as a designer and better features for (my) clients... but thus far, I have been able to achieve the majority of the same outcome with Muse via less headache,faster production, and most importantly client satisfaction. What I am saying is that I definitely see HUGE potential in Adobe Muse. Without a doubt, I would say Muse is a true "game changer" to the web design industry. At this time, Muse can not fully compete with other platforms and has it's obvious downfalls of course. However, I very much believe that Adobe is revolutionizing the web design industry via Muse. Not now but In the not so distant horizon, I believe Muse will be as dynamic as can be and so much more. Thus is the reason I choose to stick with Muse, desire to master it, and rely on Muse pioneers such as MT and others currently working to improve the experience.

My recommendation: Stick with Muse, be a pioneer. Base every site you build individually per client request. Don't let the newest trends dictate how you build a site. You're building it, you ultimately control it.

Sarah, dooalot and Janne like this.