Solved Google maps API key restriction confusion

Discussion in 'All Other Widgets' started by TracyB2017, Jun 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TracyB2017

TracyB2017 Member

I'm really confused about how to properly do the key restrictions for the maps API keys. You highly recommended that we choose the HTTP referrers (web sites) restriction but I'm confused about what you're supposed to enter in there. Do you put in the web address of the site that the key is used on? The map doesn't work when I preview in the browser without uploading to the FTP site. The only way the map works in preview is if I leave it with no restrictions on the key. Help!

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Tracy, yes, the site address of your website where the map resides.
    Just before the 7 min mark of the video tutorial, Ashton say he's leaveing the restrictions at 'None' to be able to preview in Browser. He then speaks about placing the name of the site in the appropriate box.
    Remember, that if you place the http address of the site and set your restrictions, the maps won't show unless accessed from the site itself, hence your inability to see it in Preview.
    Hope this helps
    Dj

3. Pete Smithies

Pete Smithies Member

Hi Dj,
    As per Tracy's post - the issue is - as soon as you do that - the map will load for half a second and display and then display
    "Oops! Something went wrong.
    This page didn't load Google Maps correctly. See the JavaScript console for technical details."

Here is a page that shows that

Capture.JPG

Can you please investigate this and let us know why this is happening?

Thanks

Pete

4. DjHerold

Pete, I am unable to replicate the issue.
    Can I ask that you place a support ticket (resources>contact us) and see what the team says. Please post back here if you find a solution.
    They can look at your file for a more defintive idea of what's taking place.
    They will determine if it's the widget, or the Google hand off.
    Thanks
    Dj

5. Pete Smithies

Pete Smithies Member

Hi Dj, I did reach out and sent an email to tech department but have not had any response. This is clearly not fixed as I have spoken directly to Tracy - who is seeing exactly what I am --- go to http://aerialpix.co.nz/location.html -- can you please escalate this as I have a number of maps that I need to update. Thanks Pete

6. Pete Smithies

Pete Smithies Member

Still waiting for a response......

7. Pete Smithies

Pete Smithies Member

I am sorry but this has NOT been resolved. Can someone please respond with an answer?

8. DjHerold

Pete, I see that your ticket is in our system, and I will see if there is anything I can do to move it along.
    Our team is swamped with tickets at this time.
    Please remember this is a community forum, and not the support portal.
    If you do not get a response from the other users, your support ticket is the way to go.
    I would also suggest trying to speak with the support team at Google Maps, they may have some insight on the settings, and possible problems.
    Dj

9. DjHerold

All, one little thing we just noticed when doing some testing with these Google Maps issues…

When you use Google’s copy button, once they give you your API key, it adds a space at the beginning and end of the API key. This is pretty much impossible to notice when you’ve pasted it into the widget, unless you’re paying super close attention.
    It, of course will not work with the spaces.
    Make sure the spaces are gone and see if this helps anyone.
    Dj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.