Genius Quotes Widget Help

Discussion in 'All Other Widgets' started by JeffDoc, Sep 19, 2016.

1. JeffDoc

JeffDoc Member

Good Evening Everyone,

This may seem like a simple, stupid question but I've been trying to figure it out for an hour with no luck. Unfortunately, Genius Quotes is one of the widgets that does not include a setup video to explain how it works.

For the most part, it's straight-forward except I cannot figure out how to change the text for more than one quote. I have tried clicking every option, however, all I am ever able to edit is the quote showing by default.

There are two other quotes already in the widget because when I preview it, they show on my website..I just can't find how to edit them...and also how to add more than just the three.

If anyone could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm pretty new to Muse but I know this should be simple...and once I find out how to do it, I'll probably feel like a bigger idiot. -LOL-

Thanks so much in advance!

Cheers!

Jeff

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Jeff, glad to help. I'm assuming that when you tried editing the 'quotes' you clicked inside the text box (within a target of the composition widget), until you got the cursor.
    If you look at the bottom of the widget you'll see the three selection dots (the composition 'Triggers'). Just click on each until the quote you want to edit appears and then click inside the text until selected.
    Another way, and one I suggest to learn (it'll help immensely in learning Muse) is to use the layers panel to find and select your items.
    Hope this helps
    Dj

3. JeffDoc

JeffDoc Member

Hi Dj,

Thanks so much for your kind assistance.

While not everything that you suggested worked (for me), the layers option did allow me to at least edit the three existing quotes that came stock with the widget.

Unfortunately, no matter what layer I have selected, nothing happens when I click any of the selection dots at the bottom of the widget. Also, the "+" icon does nothing so it appears I cannot add any more quotes, limiting me to three quotes only. It seems the "+" icon just sits there taunting me without any function...unless, of course, I am doing something incorrectly, which is very much possible. :)

Please see the video below I created that will show what is occurring for me:

Any further suggestions you can offer up would be greatly appreciated and welcomed!

Have a great day!

Jeff

4. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Jeff, thanks for the video, that always helps immensely.
    I noticed in your video that your 'Target' is covering your 'Triggers'. I believe this is your issue. It appears your target has been enlarged (probably to make things bigger).
    Take a look at my screen shots. They show what you should see when each piece is selected (upper left corner of Muse).
    You need to shrink the 'Target' so they don't cover the triggers. I believe you can do this easiest by clicking the 'triggers on top' in the widget fly out. You can also just move things manually, it's just a matter of the widget parts laying on top of each other.
    Dj

Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG Capture3.JPG Capture4.JPG Capture5.JPG Capture6.JPG

5. JeffDoc

JeffDoc Member

Dj...

My apologies for not replying and thanking you sooner. I just returned from a trip to Boston and am just getting back to this now.

I haven't tried your advice yet but I'm sure you're absolutely correct! I do vaguely remember resizing things in the widget and it makes perfect sense the way you explained it.

Thanks so much. I'll try your suggestion when I get a chance and will report back on the results.

Thanks again!

Cheers!
    Jeff