Gallery Connect - User Feedback

Discussion in 'Connect - CSV Widgets' started by Steve Harris, Oct 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex299

Alex299 New Member

Hi!
    I love this widget and i use it on multiple sites, But for some reason on one of the sites I'm getting a large blank space under the gallery that oddly goes away if you adjust the browser width. This is the site http://ipaz.businesscatalyst.com/index.html. Any idea why this is happening?

Attached Files:

2. Josiah Peter

Josiah Peter New Member

I can't use the same style twice? Because i wanted to put multiple same style on the website.
    I've tried to do separate spreedsheet with different keys, but still it merges and combine different photos together that are not supposed to go together. :(

3. MLH

MLH New Member

Steve,

Photo URLs simply do not function in Gallery Connect. Video URLs function fine. Not very helpful. I found a previous post from Steve explaining that the gallery "comments" section in the csv spreadsheet accepts HTML. This was very helpful, except that most browsers, by default, convert the text to a dark color. If you're trying to include a link in your description, changing the color helps, too: <a href="http://yoururlhere.com"><font color="yellow">your clickable text</font></a>

MLH

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  4. Mick Kenyon

Mick Kenyon Well-Known Member

DROPBOX TIP:- This might have already been shared, an alternative to using the imagesafe website is to use Dropbox, when you copy the link of an image from dropbox you will need to change the last part of the URL , just change ?dl=0 to ?dl=1 at the end of the URL.

Steve Harris likes this.
  5. razah

razah Active Member

Hello guys,

I wanted to use the lightbox_overlay_color tag to change the background color of the fullscreen gallery. Iam using the grid widget.
    Is it possible to use it? I tried to change it by adding
    <style>
    .ug-lightbox_overlay_color {

FFFFFF
    }

</style>
    but here is something missing right?

Thanks for your help!

6. Steve Harris

Steve Harris Museologist Staff Member Moderator

@razah

<style>
    .ug-lightbox .ug-lightbox-overlay (
    background-color: #ffffff !important;
    }
    </style>

;)

razah likes this.
  7. Steve Harris

Hey MLH - I think we maybe touched on this earlier in the thread, but the "links" in the spreadsheets are only available on the grid based widgets. There is also a setting to enable / disable them in the preset spreadsheet. Let me have a peek back at what was said in this thread...

Update > is this what you had in mind? http://forum.musethemes.com/threads/gallery-connect-user-feedback.2257/page-2#post-8163

Alos definitely make sure you're working with the latest version of Gallery Connect – we've pushed out a few updates in the last couple of weeks.

Cheers!
    SH

MLH likes this.
  8. razah

razah Active Member

Hey Steve, thanks for your answer. Can you please give me a hint from where can I get this tags from? I am looking at the theme options at unitegallery.net but they are a little bit different from what you send me. I need to change the font color in the lightbox now because my background is white now.

9. Steve Harris

Hey Razah,

I typically just open Developer Tools (in Chrome) and use "Inspect" to select the element I want to modify... here's a screenshot:

upload_2016-11-16_11-41-2.png

razah likes this.
  10. razah

razah Active Member

Oh man, this is great! This works in Safari too. I was familiar to this feature but did not use it for my development yet. Thank you for your help!! Again... :)

11. razah

razah Active Member

Are you using the Sticky Footer setting in the site properties?

What do you mean with: Using the same style twice? If you want to use the same styling for your gallery, just stick with the same CSV file. Then just swap the csv file for the photos. If "using the same gallery twice" means, you want to place 2 individual gallerys on the same page, double check the Unique ID for your gallery. This has to be individual for every gallery widget you re using on the same page.
    Hope this helps!

I did use Dropbox back in the days to host my first website. I made the experience that Dropbox isnt usable because of the lack of performance. Did this change?
    I would really appreciate if there were a tool, to automaticly create these CSV files. I am on a Mac using the FTP-client Cyberduck. This program can sync folders with the ftp server.

have a great week!

12. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

Hey @Steve Harris

Is there any way I can have Adobe Muse text overlay the Galley Connect widget?

The gallery connect widget works when there is content under...see breakpoint sizes 760 and under: http://tro-design.com/lawrence-test.html

But the widget does not work when I overlay text on top....see breakpoint 1024 and up: http://tro-design.com/lawrence-test.html

Essentially I want to replace the stock slideshow widget on this website: http://tro-design.com/lawrence-memorial-hospital-cancer-center.html and replace with connect since its way better!

You helped me earlier with getting the text formatted correctly within connect (response #100 in this thread) but the output was not quite looking how I wanted since I don't have a fluid site and I want the text to stay inside the middle layout like it is here: http://tro-design.com/lawrence-memorial-hospital-cancer-center.html

Let me know.

Thank you.

13. MLH

MLH New Member

This was helpful, thanks! I also learned that the Gallery Connect spreadsheet accepts html, so I can "show" the hyperlinked text on rollover. This works well in a mixed media gallery (photos, videos, audio, 3rd party links).

14. Trimmer

Trimmer Member

I noticed the 'trick' to get Dropbox images functioning, I tried it and the widget won't load; is there a way of connecting to Flickr ... in the Timeline Connect widget it accepts Flickr addresses for the images and my clients are very resistant to having to upload images to various different sites. Surely it would be prudent to have some continuity here by allowing Flickr links in the Gallery Connect?

15. Trimmer

Trimmer Member

The latest Gallery Connect I can download is v1 ... I tried the Dropbox trick suggested and the gallery disappears -- i't there because the link works but there is no image of a gallery.

16. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

@Steve Harris @Brandon

I just found a huge bug with the gallery connect widget this week after I converted all my portfolio TOC pages to gallery connect: http://tro-design.com/portfolio.html

When I went to create an XML site map....none of the site map makers will find the lower level projects linked from the gallery connect url's from any of my 7 TOC portfolio pages.

To get them indexed properly I had to fake the site links and create a hidden box with all 39 of our portfolio projects.

See image below with 39 html links in the composition that I hide.

[​IMG]

Please advise.

17. Steve Harris

Checking into this now! We'll get back to you asap. Great looking site... ;)

18. Steve Harris

Hey Jesse,

Alright, we had a look. The issue here is likely with the sitemap generator not running the Javascript required to load the gallery. Gallery connect content is considered dynamic, and when the browser loads it runs JS that initiates the gallery, builds the structure, adds links, etc. If it doesn't run JS before indexing, it won't find the links.

Google has been proven (without a doubt) that it runs JS prior to indexing pages, so any dynamic links created will always be crawled. Considering the biggest sites on the web are all dynamic, this is pretty essential. But chances are these freebie sitemap generators are NOT running the JS prior to building this sitemap, and it's leaving all those pages out.

So couple options here...

1. Use a better sitemap generator. I just tried running one on your site using this tool (claims to run JS first before building) and it seemed to work fine. I can see all your portfolio pages included in the output: https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/details-tro-design.14131921.html

2. Build the sitemap manually. Really not required if you use a better generator, but our Developer noted that this is why dynamic systems like Wordpress often have custom sitemap generator plugins. To ensure everything "wordpressy" (tech term) is loaded first and included in the index.

So you should be all good. Definitely use the better generator, and pull those hidden / manual links out of your site. Google might see that as a kind of misleading or blackhat and penalize you. Which would be a shame because that beautiful site deserves to be seen!

High five!
    SH

19. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

@Steve Harris I am a Pro member of XML sitemaps.

The only reason you see it working now is because I manually put in those 39 hidden links on the portfolio.html page like I showed you on the photo I uploaded. Want me to remove the manual links so you can see how XML sitemaps wont generate links for those 39 pages? I also tested with 3 other generators and none of them would find them.

And thank you for looking into this. I am heading home from work but will remove my manual links later tonight so you can test the widget only.

I also didn't notice this issue on the site I finished last month (RichardMandelkorn.com) because all the web pages were directly linked in the pushy pane menu.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  20. Steve Harris

Sorry Jesse, I should have remembered you still had the added links in there. My bad, Friday brain.

All sounds good, please do remove the links you've added and we'll run some tests on our end to see why those generators aren't picking up the links. If they are there in the browser, then the link definitely exists in the final HTML output. Maybe there is something we can tweak in Gallery Connect to get them to better understand the content structure.

And just in case you're concerned about Google's ability to index dynamic content like this, here's a link that will put you at ease. This question came up often back when we released Mumblr, and this article (section 3) clarifies how Google sees this content:
    http://searchengineland.com/tested-googlebot-crawls-javascript-heres-learned-220157

We'll get back to you soon... let us know when you've pulled the links.

Cheers
    SH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.