Gallery Connect - User Feedback

Discussion in 'Connect - CSV Widgets' started by Steve Harris, Oct 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Harris

Steve Harris Museologist Staff Member Moderator

That's an option we should probably update to be in the panel! In the meantime, add this to your "Head for <HTML>" section (in page properties)

<style>
    .ug-thumb-wrapper.ug-tile {
    letter-spacing: 2px;
    }
    </style>

I just tried it in inspector and it seemed to do the trick. GREAT site and implementation of this widget by the way. Mind if we share this on our social channels?

Cheers,
    SH

2. Steve Harris

Steve Harris Museologist Staff Member Moderator

Hey UJoel - which gallery are you using? On "Uniform Grid" it's line 10 in the spreadsheet (theme appearance order)

upload_2016-10-21_9-46-16.png

Cheers
    SH

3. UJoel

UJoel Member

So I'm using the Uniform grid. Somehow I got my preset mixed up because I didn't have a "theme appearance order". So I just copy and pasted the "Uniform grid" presets from the plugins folder. However, I'm still not getting the tiles to follow the "img_id" order.

4. UJoel

UJoel Member

Here is a screen shot of my grid. Should these be in order of my "img_id" column? (I have the img_id in alphabetical order)

Attached Files:

5. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

Yes you can share this site...thank you.

The code worked great.

Any updates on the thumbnail issue?

6. Maxime Beaulac

Maxime Beaulac New Member

Hello,

Is it normal that only uniform and mosaic grid are working properly ? All the other ones are shrinked. For example, Caroussel is only showing one thumbnail images at a time. It's not using the full width. I'm using Safari.

Thank you ! I can't wait to use this widget for my project.

Attached Files:

7. Ritchieb

Ritchieb Active Member

Hello there,

What i'm trying to accomplish but i can not get it to work is having next to a gallery page with all the images on it (using the uniform grid) a excerpt of only four images on the home page. The gallery page is not the issue but the home page is.

I've made two seperate content and two seperate presets sheets. What i want on the homepage is 4 images horizontally placed which my client can change whenever she wants to the latest. But whichever tile column width i use, the image keep showing up in two rows instead of one row. I also tried changing the tile display type to row but also then the images keep showing over covering two rows.

Is there a way of getting what i want?

Thanks,
    Richard

8. razah

razah Active Member

This seems to work! Thank you.

Now I realized another thing: When I add title or captions to the images. Every time I shrink the browser width down to test the responsiveness, the black transparent background behind the text overlays 100% of the images and they look just underexposed. That is pretty weird. I am working with compact slider right now. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you,
    Raphael

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  9. Maldenite

Maldenite New Member

I always follow your guidance step by step but the step about saving the spreadsheet and then publishing to see the sample is not working on the spreadsheet sample that you worked with. After saving the spreadsheet to my Google Drive, I tried to publish to see the sample but there publish button was dimmed. What am I doing wrong? Thanks and once I figure out how to make it work, it looks very powerful!

10. Robert Pritchard

Robert Pritchard Member

I'm using a simple slideshow (ver. 1.0) on a responsive page with 3 breakpoints. The initial slideshow size is set to be 100% but Safari browsers are displaying 360px width on load. the moment you resize the browser the slideshow goes full width (the way it should be on load). Safari is the only browser this happens. I tested on Chrome and Explorer and they work fine.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  11. Rumbo

Rumbo Member

Before I continue working with this widget, will it ever be possible to use custom thumbnail images at all? I have seen that the original UniteGallery does not use thumbnails, it always uses the actual gallery images as both thumbnail and fullsize image. This is way too much data to load for big galleries, especially on slower connections.

Not sure if it is possible to use custom thumbnails?

12. razah

razah Active Member

I had the same thoughts but I still hope that musethemes can updates this. I really want to have 2:3 thumbnails even for my portrait photos...
    My clients are waiting for this update!

13. Kevin DuCommun

Kevin DuCommun Developer Staff Member

Yes, a few of the layout modes (mosaic and uniform grid) weren't accepting the custom thumbnail data and were instead overwriting with the full size image instead for both resulting in a huge initial load for the gallery. We're working on an update to the widget right now that will bring custom thumbnail support to all layouts.

14. razah

razah Active Member

In addition to that it would be great if the random positioning would apply everytime I reload the gallery!
    Thank you so much for your work. We really appreciate it.

15. Brandon

Brandon Widgetsman Staff Member Advisory Group

Hi Joel,

Would you mind sending me links to your spreadsheets so I can take a look at the order issue? I'm assuming you're using Google Sheets vs the offline files? I'd be happy to take a look. Feel free to PM me. I'll make copies so nothing on your sheets is changed.

Thanks,

16. Ritchieb

Ritchieb Active Member

Hi Guys,

I have been working with the widget but when i go to the page on which i have the uniform grid, it always shows a big gap between the last images and my footer (tested it on Chrome, Safari, Firefox). When you try to scale the browser up or down (and you only have to do that very slightly) it adjusts itself and then it looks great. But i can imagine that not everybody scales his browser but just open a site and take a look at it. And then it doesn't look nice because there is a big empty space before they get to the footer.

Here you can see it for yourself: http://www.braxmedia.nl/paula/taartengallerij.html

I hope someone can have a look at it.

Kind regards
    Richard

17. Brandon

Hi @Maldenite

Did you make a copy? That part is key.

Here are the basic steps:
    1. Open the link to our spreadsheet
    2. File > Make a copy
    3. Publish to the web... (make sure you select CSV from the 'web page' dropdown)
    4. Copy the string of characters from the middle of the URL, and use it to replace the default key in the widget.

At this point you should be good to go. A couple of things to keep in mind:
    • I like to publish right away, before I even make any changes to the default template
    • The spreadsheet key (the string of characters in the URL) doesn't ever change once you publish
    • The publish button will only be "dimmed" if the sheet has already been published. @Maldenite, this means that a copy wasn't made and you're attempting to publish the same version we've already published, or, you've published your copy but it's not working because CSV wasn't selected from the 'web page' dropdown.
    Hopefully that helps. Please let me know how it goes!

18. Kevin DuCommun

Kevin DuCommun Developer Staff Member

Hello Richard,

Yes I see the problem there, it seems the initial load of the widget is forcing a larger height before the images are sized correctly and the height of the container is not being updated when it finishes. Any sort of interaction afterwords (like resizing the browser and such) causes the browser to repaint it and fix it. I will try to implement a fix for this so that it will recalculate automatically. Thanks for the heads up on this issue!

19. Brandon

Hi Ritchie,

As I understand what you're saying, you're basically having trouble getting the Uniform Grid to display 4 images in a horizontal row? There may have been a setting that you've made in your presets sheet that is affecting this. Using the default sheets are in the widget originally, with no changes to the settings in the presets sheet, the widget displays 4 images in a horizontal row as you describe (after removing all but 4 images in the content sheet).

I did however notice that there are 2 identical fields in the presets sheet for Uniform Grid. It's the "tiles_col_width" setting, lines 4 and 11. With the duplicate lines there, both lines have to be updated for the setting to kick in. This may be part of the problem you're seeing. But either way, the only reason I can think of that the 4 images aren't displaying in a single row is if the browser is not wide enough to handle displaying the width of the 4 image thumbnails.

I'd be happy to take a look at your sheets if you'd like.
    Cheers,

20. Brandon

Hi All,

Gallery Connect beta v3 is now available. Download here

This update fixes the issue discussed above with the custom thumbnails. The image used in the img_src column no longer overrides the image in the img_thumb_src column. Also, the local and web-based CSV files for Uniform Grid have been updated to eliminate duplicate lines 4 and 11.

Cheers,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.