Forms not working

Discussion in 'All Other Widgets' started by Nancy, Jan 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Nancy

Nancy Member

I was not using the web site url email address because the client wanted me to manage the contacts for her. When I became aware that the form was not working I changed the email to her info@bridalevents.info email address. I'm receiving regular emails just dandy, but none from the form. Is there anything that can be done?

2. Steve Harris

Steve Harris Museologist Staff Member Moderator

If I remember correctly Muse forms can sometimes break if the email address entered isn't the same domain as the site itself. So your email should be "email@yourdomain.com" and used on the site "yourdomain.com".

Sometimes you can trick Muse into working with a different domain if you enter two emails in the field. One that's a fake address but uses the domain, so something like "fake@yourdomain.com" and then enter a comma, and another email (anything you like).

I think Adobe once published something on this... let me find it. Hopefully this helps! Muse forms are always challenging.
    https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-3581

Adobe docs above! Cheers :)

3. Nancy

Nancy Member

Thanks Steve. I tried everything in that article with no luck.

4. James007

James007 Active Member

Hey Nancy, just some basic questions:
    1. Is the form that's not working on this website? http://bridalevents.info/contact-us.html
    2. Have you checked your Junk Email to see if the contact form emails have accidentally gone there?

Forms are usually pretty easy to work out, so we should get this sorted asap :)

5. Nancy

Nancy Member

Well, yes and no. Forms are a crucial part of her web site, and I had to move to Jot Form at her site to assure that the forms were coming through. Since then, I found that the forms are not working, since the Muse updates, on any site I have built. I have checked spam, I've run the report that was suggested and get green check marks on everything, I updated the php at godaddy as suggested. The Jot Forms come through great. But I'd prefer not to have to use a third party form builder.

6. T Den

T Den New Member

I have been searching for a fix for some time now, all my previous designs using forms have now also stopped working. Checking with Adobe also, but cannot find anything on it. Keep thread active till we find a resolution to this annoying issue. I have read articles about setting up PHP properly on the server etc...

7. James007

James007 Active Member

Hi T Den, I helped Nancy out by simply uploading her website onto a new hosting provider. There was nothing wrong with the form when we simply uploaded the HTML via FTP to a new host.

How are you uploading your site's HTML files to your hosting? You shouldn't need to do any PHP updates or anything to get it to work.

8. T Den

T Den New Member

Hey James007, or is it Mr. Bond? ;)
    Using the UPLOAD TO FTP inside Muse...should I transfer the files via FTP uploader outside of Muse?

9. James007

James007 Active Member

Bond....James Bond.

I've never actually used the Upload to FTP function of Muse. I've always exported the HTML and then uploaded it myself using Filezilla. That's what we did to get Nancy's forms to work - I wonder if there's a current issue with Muse and their Upload to FTP?

10. Chipp Walters

Chipp Walters Well-Known Member

I'm actually having the same problem. Forms which used to work just quit working. I'm with GoDaddy and using a Google Domain (which I'm paying for). I have to say GoDaddy is VERY responsive in helping me. I *pay* for support with Google and they are the absolute pits to work with. They have yet to follow through on a single commitment to do anything. Very frustrating. Thinking of switching off of Google as the company just does not care about it's customers. Ugh.

Anyway, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears on how to fix this form problem. Tried the re-upload of all the files.

11. Roy

Roy Member

I had the same issue a few months back when I switched our site from Business Catalyst to our VPS server. Every time someone tried to submit their email address they received an error message. I contacted our VPS server host and they determined that it was a PHP issue (the PHP Configuration had been set at 7.1) and that form would only function when the PHP set at 5.6. My host provider installed a PHP configuration module in the cPanel and everything was working fine until today, when the error message started again after I had uploaded some changes to the site.

To trouble shoot, I reset the PHP to 5.5 and everything started working properly. To test things further I progressively increased the PHP settings to 5.6, 7.0, and 7.1 and the form worked as it should each time. Given this testing, I have no idea as to why the form wasn't working, but I'm guessing that there must be some type of conflict or bug related to the PHP settings that acts up for some reason or another. Changing the PHP setting up or down then back to where you want them to be seems to address the issue.

I hope this helps.

12. Chipp Walters

Chipp Walters Well-Known Member

FWIW, I tracked down my problem with forms not working, and fixed it. It turns out sometime late last year, Gmail quit accepting Muse built forms from GoDaddy (maybe others as well). So, if your form properties contained even one gmail (or google domain) address, then it would not forward. Google says it's because of SPAM or some such thing, but it's definitely THEIR fault.

For me the fix was to have the Muse form send to one of the GoDaddy domains I already owned, then redirect that to the Gmail addresses.

So, for instance say I was trying to send a form to acme@gmail.com. It won't go because Google doesn't accept forms to gmail and Google Business Accounts. So since I own another domain: chipp.com, (and it's not a Google Business Account) I can set up a forwarding address at GoDaddy called acme@chipp.com and forward it to acme@gmail.com and then put ONLY the acme@chipp.com email in the form properties, it works.

Of note, if you ADD to the MUSE form both addresses: acme@gmail.com and acme@chipp.com, it will stop working!

I suspect this is because Google already prevented the form data from going to acme@gmail.com and so it automatically filters out any and all of the exact same. I hope this helps some.

NOTE: I originally just replaced all my forms with JotForm, the free version. But then they started putting ads on my sites and the last straw was one client went over 100 forms submissions in the middle of the month because of some Chinese scam and JotForm just shut them down. Ugh!

13. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Chipp, thanks for providing your findings.
    Dj

14. Marc Jongsma

Marc Jongsma New Member

I'm using the latest version of Muse, created a form with a reCaptcha. Site is hosted on the platform of my provider, domain 1234.xx is registered with the provider, and through mx records Google handles the mail (Free 10 user Google Apps account). In my case, when using a 'to-address' xyz@1234.xx, it didn't work. Any other emailaddress did work. In my DirectAdmin Panel, in DNS settings where the mx records are created, I unchecked 'use local mailserver'. After that the form worked. Probably this setting was wrong all the time, because the mx records point to google, so there is no need for using the local mailserver. But on the other hand, I never had any problems with mail delivery, so maybe the mx-records are 'stronger' than the option 'use local mailserver'. But it turns out that a muse form which sends to a domain of which Google handles the mail through mx records, IS working correctly.

15. Mark Lambertson

Mark Lambertson Member

16. eyeriss

eyeriss New Member

Hi folks, I wonder if any of you good people can help me here.
    I am having terrible issues from know where with 123-reg and my Muse contact form. Can no longer receive submissions from the form if the submitter enters their email address as Yahoo or Hotmail (the two I have found that do not work) so far.
    Anybody found a solution, as I hear it is a common issue. I found something regarding the form-process.php frm 4 years ago but my form-process.php does not look like the one they use in their example.
    Any advice would be very gratefully received as I have moved my mail to GMAIL via GSUITE and still same issue. (I think it is a 123-reg server based issue with php send mail) but cannot figure out what or why.