Dismiss Notice
FORUM SHUTDOWN NOTICE: Due to inactivity and the end-of-life of Adobe Muse, we've made the decision to shut down and archive our forum as of Oct 28, 2020. Be sure to check out our new website creation tool Without Code (www.wocode.com) - thanks again for your support!

Dynamic slide 11.2

Discussion in 'Dynamic Slide' started by Christopher Baron, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Christopher Baron

Christopher Baron Active Member

Been playing with Dynamic slide for a while but for some reason i'm unable to get the caption box away from the top of the page in browser preview, Ive positioned it at the bottom of the slider but to no avail.
    is this a default?

Attached Files:

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Christopher, Could you possibly post a screen shot or two showing the flyout panels settings?
    Thanks
    Dj

3. Christopher Baron

Sure, I dont see any controls on position. I have tried to pin in place but it didnt help. 2.png 3.png 1.png 2.png 3.png 1.png

4. Tom Encode

Tom Encode Member

Same irritating issue. The demo skips over any attempt to reposition the caption box that magically appears in the upper left when previewed even though it's lower left on the working page. Try moving it and it only relocates to the left or right... never moves down. Then working template is the same way. The captions are set higher then you'd expect and no way to move them down or up to sit correct on the animated images. Bought into MUSE-THEMES because of Dynamic Slider... bummer I wasted a day with it.

5. DjHerold

Tom, sorry you're having issue with this widget, it takes some playing with but really is flexible.
    I'm using the default widget version 1.1 at the moment, but any version acts the same (1.1 is for the newest version of Muse).
    Open the default widget in a new or blank page. The default set up has the captions set towards the top. What you want to do is select the caption box, some you can possibly re size but the main thing to remember is, in Muse not all positioning is specific when dealing with full screen objects.. What I mean by that is, if you place something at the bottom of the page, you may have to adjust the placement to below or just off the main slide. Full screen slideshows, such as this, take over the entire browser, you need to adjust and not place just within the showing image size. Remember this is a caption box, so where you set one, all will follow.
    Look at the screen shots, in #1 I have placed the caption box really low in my design. In #2 you'll see it ends up at the bottom of the browser as intended.
    Hope this helps
    Dj View attachment 343 View attachment 344

6. Tom Encode

Tom Encode Member

Hey DJ! So If I understand you correctly, this widget defaults to presenting the caption in the upper right of the slideshow window and If I wanted to center the caption instead, I need to drag it around the workspace until the presentation shows it centered? If so, I've dragged the caption box so far down it's out of the slideshow and near the bottom of the website but still shows it at the top of the slideshow window? Why does it have to default to the top right anyway? can't it default to the middle of the slideshow frame no matter if deep or shallow? Can you do a more detailed 1-2-3 with pics to show how you get the caption lower in the slideshow?

thanks!

7. DjHerold

Tom, the when I say the widget defaults to the top position, I'm referring to the default widget that has the file set up for you.
    You can place the captions anywhere you want if you modify the default or set up from scratch (like in the video tutorial).
    Because of monitor sizes, it's a bit tricky for me to tell you exactly how to set things up but let's try this.
    I'm on a 23" monitor, so my page will be a bit larger than a normal monitor size. But it should be close.
    Remember, the default is a full screen set up, so let's talk with that in mind.
    Select the caption box. Now re size it to a more compact size. With it still selected, on my screen, I drag it to the bottom of my screen (not page). the correlation I would use would be to place the top of the word 'Introducing' at about the 650 pixel mark. That places it near the bottom of the screen and if centered then in the middle. You can really place it anywhere you want. But again, like all the fairly complex widgets, you need to play with it.
    If you are still having an issue, (no worries, I also find some of Muse frustrating) , send me a private message and I can give you an email address where you can send me your test file so I can see where we differ. Be sure to let me know exactly where you want the caption to b (ie: bottom center, center right ect.).
    Thanks
    Dj

8. Tom Encode

Tom Encode Member

Hey DJ

If you open the Dynamic Slider demo you guys set up an an example, it illustrates my confusion.

7:15 shows the caption in the lower left of the slideshow widget on the working page.
    7:30 the preview shows it animating in the upper left?
    8:00 shows the caption back in the lower left of the working page
    8:30 shows the altered caption animation... but it's still anchored in the upper left which is the last place you'd want it.

You are saying I should be able to just select and move it down and over? it does move over but it stays to the top of the slide show. I've had to resort to a series hard returns to force the text down but that's not really a good solution.

Can you also post a pic of where you had to position the caption on the working page then a pic of the preview page to see where it ends up? I dragged the caption all the way to the bottom of the site and it still previews at the top of the slideshow. Also, I'm not using full-screen slideshow. I didnt see a SOLVED icon on the previous guys problem so wondering if he found a fix?

Might need a phone call to see where the problem is!

9. DjHerold

Tom, in my posted screen shots, you will see where I placed the caption box in the design phase, and the next one is on preview i browser.
    BUT, this was using a full screen slideshow as the default is. After this writing, I will look at just using the Hero image type approach to make sure we are talking apples to apples. I just wanted to get to you without leaving you hanging.
    Basically the answer to your question is , yes, you just drag the caption box where you want it to show up. Again, rememeber that your text may not look in the correct position in design but with adjustments it will in preview.
    Dj

10. Tom Encode

Tom Encode Member

Hey DJ.. you are right. When I start with a full screen slideshow I can position the caption where ever I like BUT turn off full screen and BOOM, the caption goes up near the top and that's where it's going to stay... which is useless.

Unless I'm missing a trick, can you guys fix that asap?

11. DjHerold

Tom, I've been playing with the non full screen and this is what worked for me. Just like you alluded to, you will need to re size the caption box larger and then use carriage returns to get your text to it's Height location. From there you can move it anywhere on the page for adjustment.
    Dj

12. Tom Encode

Tom Encode Member

Egads. Hopefully that can be addressed in the next version as it's a super sweet widget. I find though the hard returns still didn't drop it to exactly I wanted it... but will focus on this approach as it seems to be the fix for now!

Thanks for taking my question and working thru the possible issue/solution as I'm sure 100 more rolled in!

Cheers

Tom

13. DjHerold

Tom, no worries, and I'll pass this along and see if there are any other tips the developers can provide.
    The issue with widgets like this is they are built on the existing Muse slider widget. It has some limitations, but all in all is a pretty stable widget.
    Using the animated captions poses a similar challenge as with using text inside a state button, positioning is usually based on cursor position (it's why we suggest using cut and paste on state buttons and text).
    Let me know if I can assist with anything else.
    Dj

14. Christopher Baron

I worked that out too, but if you want to use the box itself with a slight color to highlight the text over a complicated picture this solution still puts you back at square 1 with the box at the top.