Duplicate Content

Discussion in 'Mumblr' started by Chriss, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Chriss

Chriss New Member

Surely the biggest problem with using a big public high authority platform like Tumblr as your content provider is duplicate content. Tumblr will always get ranked higher for whatever it is than your site can manage so what really is the point, particularly as obvious duplicate content will bring down the ranking of your whole domain, not just the blog pages.

I use flat files to achieve blogging functionality on my HTML sites and it is way simpler than this kind of workaround.

As an aside, props to the developers for getting around the same-origin limitation on porting content across.

2. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

I would really like to know the answer to this too!

3. Steve Harris

Steve Harris Museologist Staff Member Moderator

Great question! Something we've discussed internally and done some research on.

Without writing a novel here, I think the thing to remember is that Google is very very smart. It's quite aware of the difference between "spammy" duplicate content designed to manipulate rankings, and real (syndicated) content that's shared in multiple places on the web. Think about news outlets that syndicate identical content to 1000's of sites in their network, are they concerned? No, because Google can see the difference (and benefits) to having users share content.

Social media is a great example - we share identically posts across several networks, our blog, our pages, etc. with no concern about penalization. In fact social sharing helps our ranking tremendously.

I suppose your comment above about Tumblr ranking first is a good point. But if your website site is well optimized for a particular search term, let's say something like "New York Graphic Designer" I would hope the site has more keywords, headings, high-authority inbound links than the Tumblr blog alone would.

I always think about SEO as your total "score" based on a variety of factors. High quality original content could certainly make up a big chunk of the score (say 10 out of 100 points), but all of the other factors make up the other 90%. So your Tumblr page could have a 50/100 score, I'd hope you can bring your site up to 80/100 to ensure better rankings.

I hope this helps. It's a great question, and I'm sure SEO professionals could provide more insight. I'm just speaking from my experience running this site (which ranks really quite well) and tweaks I've made to client sites in the past.

Cheers!
    SH

Norman Durkee likes this.
  4. Steve Harris

Ok I'll stop soon, but here's one other thought. I always like to measure results based on input - it's all relative.

Example - if you're making 100k per year but working 100 hours per week, you're technically making less than a 50k per year worker only working 40 hours per week. Twice the input for less than half of the results.

We also know from the ol' 80/20 rule that 80% of results are usually achieved from only 20% of the input.

Mumblr is a widget you can setup in 10 minutes, and get potentially 90% of the results you would using a custom self-built blogging system. But is the extra 10% worth the potential pitfalls of building your own? Ensuring proper setup / development, the time you need to invest to maintain it, potential hosting costs, etc. Probably not I'd say.

If you have the time and resources, then I can't debate it could be a better route for you. But as a business owner I'd rather get 90% of the results with only 10% (or 10 mins) of the input.

Not sure if that makes any sense lol! ;) The MT team will tell you I love business quotes and logic

Norman Durkee likes this.
  5. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Great response, thanks Steve. I have been weighing the pros and cons between Mumbler and another widget out there but have discovered that the other one cannot be configured to only show certain categories of posts, among other things, so I'm going with Mumbler....I think....I shall play with it tonight.

Thanks again! Much appreciate all your widgets & stuff!

6. Steve Harris

Well that's awesome! I'm glad you're trying out Mumblr. One thing that (I think) differentiates us in the market is we rapidly update widgets. So if you find it's not working for whatever reason, just let us know and we can probably push out an update. We've updated this guy four times already based on user input!

I bet I can guess the other option you were considering, and it probably required PHP, SQL and other three letter acronyms...

Let me know how your experimentation tonight goes!

7. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Thanks Steve. Such fun!

This brings up a question though....if you do come out with an update and I already have the widget installed with lots of posts, does the upgrade happen seamlessly (e.g: backwards compatible so existing posts and configuration remain)?

PS. Yes, that one!! (other blog widget)!

8. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Sarah, unfortunately, when a widget is updated, you will have to manually replace the old widget with the updated one.
    Dj

9. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Dj....does that mean, for example, if I had 100 blog posts, they would get deleted in the upgrade? I'm assuming they would still reside on Tumbler and then they would somehow (?) need to be re-imported into Mumbler?

Thanks for clarifying! Good stuff to know before embarking!

10. Chriss

Chriss New Member

Thanks for your response Steve but all my original points still stand - the Domain Authority alone of Tumblr will always have it outrank our own efforts, regardless of the inherent greatness of those efforts! Similarly, a blog composed entirely of effectively duplicate/syndicated content, which is what Mumblr is doing, will be a penalty signal for an entire domain. Bear in mind we're talking here about duplicating another site in its entirety, not syndicating from various sources, which is what you were referring to.

But really, why such a clunch? A simple flat file solution for blogging in Muse would answer this issue and be so much more flexible - it's only 'includes' after all, not rocket science coding.

11. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Sarah, sorry for making it confusing, what I meant was if you wanted to update to a newer widget, it has to replace the existing one. If you have established blogs and you are good with the look and workings of it, then no, you don't have to do anything. You won't have any new capabilities, but the old ones will work with the version of Muse you set them up in.
    As far as anything on Tumblr, those remain intact. You would just replace your old widget with the updated on and when you set up the new widget in Muse, it will re-gather your posts and place them like before.

Dj