Display issue with SHOW background video on mobile, plus performance issues

Discussion in 'SHOW Responsive Video Suite' started by Niall lucas, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Niall lucas

Niall lucas Member

Hello,

I'm using the SHOW widget (background, section setup) on the homepage of my site.

I have two issues.

First, on mobiles where I've resized the section to fit a smaller screen, the video shows up tiny in the middle and then suddenly enlarges if you tap/scroll the page.

Secondly, the general performance of the widget vs. fullscreen background or other Muse Theme video widgets seems very poor, with lots of lag and jitters on the same, lightweight video files I've used before.

Any help in either of these issues would be appreciated!

Image below shows the video small (plus magnified to clarify) and then how it should look at the proper size.

[​IMG]

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Niall, sorry you're having issues with the widget.
    What you describe isn't a normal action. I have to believe something else on the page is reacting to the widget.
    Make sure you are using the newest version of the widget (1.2, which was just updated a couple of days ago).
    And I would also suggest removing any other widgets that may share the page. Just a process of elimination to be sure it's not another widget.
    If that does n't help, I suggest you place a support ticket if you don't get a response from the people here, the Team can look at your file to better see what's up.
    Thanks
    Dj

3. Niall lucas

Niall lucas Member

Thanks for your response.

I'm not using any other widgets on the page apart from stock state buttons - as I need these on the page removing them isn't a solution in this instance. Regardless, I have tried to see if the issue persists, and it does.

I'll wait to see if anyone else replies, and if not will take your advice and open a support ticket.

Thanks.

4. Clayton75

Clayton75 Member

I have a SHOW background video in the header section of this site: http://artistic.tattoo ... I have the video files hosted locally as they are small mp4 and webm files that should load quickly - and they do! Problem is, the video loads before anything else on the page. The load time of the page itself is way too long, which may be the result of another widget (quite possibly the FLUID PRO gallery widget from QooQee). I tried using a Preloader widget, again from QooQee, but that definitely has a conflict with other widgets, because it doesn't even work at all, and when it does, it doesn't mask the loading page, it just flashes for a second. It's so frustrating to have all these awesome widgets become unusable because of conflicts with other widgets!

5. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Clayton, sorry you are having issues. There are often problems when different vendors widgets are used on the same page/site.
    We really have a team that looks really closely at the code we use and try very hard to maintain the Muse requirements.
    Having said that, we do know others may not, so, if i may I'd suggest removing the others widgets (not to say they are an issue, but to make sure that the Show widget is working to your satisfaction before going too far).
    Then, you can try our pre loaders and see if they assist in the fashion you need.
    From there, let us know how it's going and what may be happening if you still have issues.
    Thanks
    Dj

6. Niall lucas

Niall lucas Member

Clayton, I don't have masses of experience with Muse or the SHOW widget set, but viewing your site the same thing seems to happen as does in my own (rawlingsonlane.businesscatalyst.com) which is that the video loads slightly before other page elements. However, on my PC, the rest of your site elements loaded very quickly afterwards, and as with my own site, the lag is so little as not to be a problem. Of course, the amount of other elements does come into effect - on my site, the 'videos' page often loads the header video quite a bit before other elements as I have 6 video players on that page. My guess is that as the SHOW widget is a background element, it may have some 'load first' priority (only a guess though, I'm not a web/widget developer).

I would try to keep consistency with the widget vendor you use though, just as a general practice. If you stick with Muse Themes, you'll at least know of any conflicts as they're stated on the product page, rather than guessing each time something doesn't work.

Also, just a general question - what size are your .webm and .mp4's? I've tried to keep mine under 500kb and 1mb respectively, as beyond that (especially .mp4) I found a lot of lag in the video files and slower load times.

Also, just another observation, but your site in general seems to load very slowly. Other sites on my system load fine (including my own site, built in Muse), so it may be worth checking the general performance of your hosting provider, and going with another if there's a problem there?