CLOSED....Snipcart Ecommerce (released)

Discussion in 'Beta Testing' started by Brandon, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon

Brandon Widgetsman Staff Member Advisory Group

Here's a great new Ecommerce widget. It includes custom button options for everything - buy buttons, cart, logins. Comes standard with shopping cart. Super simple to integrate into a site, yet very powerful. DEMO

Download link: http://www.muse-themes.com/pages/beta-downloads

Setup:
    • Start by creating custom buttons for:
      • Buy Button(s)
      • Login
      • Logout
      • Cart
    • You can use state buttons, text boxes, etc. Apply a unique graphic style to each.
    • Lay out the buttons on your page how you like
    • Drop widget into project. You can place the widgets out of the way off canvas.
    • Duplicate the "Snipcart Add Item" widget as needed to match your number of items.
    • Apply the graphic styles of all buttons to the appropriate widget component option panels.
    • You will need a Snipcart API to create a real store. Get this from the Snipcart website once you create an account. Enter it into the Snipcart Loader widget component.
    • Adjust the style settings in the Snipcart Loader widget component as you like.
    • Enjoy!

Please let us know your feedback!

Thanks!

2. Bodie Brower

Bodie Brower New Member

Is there any chance you guys have also looked into the possibility with this same type of integration with shopify or Selz in this same way? I have clients that would prefer to use shopify because they have the longest running Mobile app that can be used on or offline. I personally love Selz and Shopify's checkout experience a bit more as well. Just wanted to test the waters on this... Happy to see there is some good work being done for some sort of fully featured cart system though! Thank you!

3. Brandon

You can grab Selz right now! http://www.muse-themes.com/products/selz-ecommerce

Shopify is another ballgame. We've been researching that option for a few years now. The two platforms are not super compatible at the moment.

4. Bodie Brower

Bodie Brower New Member

Hey Brandon, Thanks for this reply. Let me clarify with Selz a bit more. I realize you guys have a widget for this, but it lacks the same kinds of things you are building into snip cart... the biggest thing would be a cart button. Also having a piece of widget that gives you the ability to define a list of items that fall into "categories" rather than single items would be amazing. Mostly for the sake of being able to allow a client to manage products that way instead of having to add additional buy now buttons. So for example, I set up a site for a client, and a widget that is build to display a certain category shows everything the client has listed in that category. If they want to add more, all they have to do is add it in the Selz Admin and it populates to the muse site automatically. This would be amazing if we could give clients more control in this way... Is this making sense?

With Shopify, I figured that might be a bit more a a beast. But grateful you guys are still looking into options as they present themselves.

5. Mike Valkanet

Mike Valkanet Well-Known Member

I wish MT would put a little more work into the Ecwid widget. They have the free plan but we need the ability to change colors in the widget like www.j-26.com has on their widget.

6. Brandon

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in response. We ran into a few technical snags while Snipcart released. We're pretty excited about the ease of use and getting so many features and customization with such minimal effort.

Hey @Bodie Brower, Yes, I totally understand what you're saying, re:Snipcart and Selz. One thing that's very important to state is that we don't actually get to pick and choose what we put into a widget. When we're working with a third party service like Selz, Ecwid, Snipcart, Instagram, etc., there are a very specific set of options available to us. Some of the larger services - like Instagram, have an API which clearly defines what can be done or not done in development. [And ocassionaly, services make changes to the API, which affect our widget, as it did in June this year when we were forced to drastically restrict functionality of Instagram due to their changes] The same thing applies to other services. We can only utilize the features that the particular service makes available in a plugin. For example, Selz has themes. These themes look great, and are a little similar to how Shopify uses themes. We would LOVE to include the option of selecting a Selz theme in our widget. But it is not technically possible because that option has not been made available by Selz for plugins/widgets.

Our general strategy is to include every option possible whenever we build an integration widget using a third party service. The only time we can absolutely control what features are in a widget is when we build the widget by hand, from scratch. While we build widgets like Selz and Snipcart from scratch, we always have to include HTML or a JS library from the service itself. So these widgets we build are considered integration widgets, rather than truly custom built library scripts. All that said, our approach with Snipcart was a little bit different. Instead creating this monster widget with every last feature that exists (like Ecwid), we tried to create something that was powerful, yet easy to build a store with - especially for beginners. Our initial feedback has shown us that a couple features: recurring payments and product options are important. We're working on an update ASAP.

Hi @Mike Valkanet, thanks for the feedback! Ecwid is another company we work very closely with. Our widget provides integration for tons of Ecwid users in the Muse world, and they are very keen on having our widget do every feature they create. We've actually got a new version of our Ecwid widget in testing. It includes several new features, including a "Chameleon skin" feature that Ecwid hasn't even officially released yet. The Chameleon technology is pretty cool as it intelligently matches to other colors in your design. Is this what you were referring to? I haven't used other people's Ecwid widgets - please let me know the details.

Cheers

7. Mike Valkanet

Well I've used Ecwid a few times and it takes way too much time to change colors of buttons which is the most important part of embedding an ecommerce store into Muse.

Also the default text of the buttons on Ecwid are terrible. "Ad to Bag" should be adjustable to "Cart" etc...

8. Brandon

@Mike Valkanet Did you have to change these in the master CSS section on the Ecwid site?

9. Mike Valkanet

I've tried that but using developer tools in a browser to pinpoint the CSS doesn't work good. Also when I did change the CSS on Ecwid's side sometimes it didn't work.

So basically we need an easy way to change colors.

I ended up using a widget from J-26.com which had the ability to change all of that. But their widget is split up into 5 widgets with way too many options IMO.

10. Chuck Nigash

Chuck Nigash Active Member

I tried MT's Ecwid widget and Ecwid's own widget from their site — both were a no-show on my site or a bugginess beyond belief. I'm going to try this. I get Ecwid now asking me if I like it, if not why? And I'm like, serious? This is easy to set up and hard to blow up, but that she goes.

Edit: I should have checked the date on this thread. This baby's released. Still, my point holds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.