Dismiss Notice
FORUM SHUTDOWN NOTICE: Due to inactivity and the end-of-life of Adobe Muse, we've made the decision to shut down and archive our forum as of Oct 28, 2020. Be sure to check out our new website creation tool Without Code (www.wocode.com) - thanks again for your support!

Cant get break points to work.

Discussion in 'General Muse' started by Joe Segal, May 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Joe Segal

Joe Segal Member

I don't understand. I set a breakpoint in my master but none of the pages I made from that master have the breakpoint in it. Why? What did I do wrong here? Is there some step I missed or some some setting? Thanks!

2. Jeremei

Jeremei Well-Known Member

Joe!
    Maybe you didn´t do anything wrong if you have dragged Master Page onto other pages. Look at related pictures:

1. Master Page breakpoints (e.g.)
    A-sivupohja.png

2. Home Page breakpoints have been marked with white triangles < 960 px.
    Home 2.png

3. Click a white triangle and the plus sign appears.
    Home 3.png

4. Click the plus sign and voila` the numbers of the breakpoint will appear.
    Home 4.png

3. Jeremei

Joe!
    Check also the following points.
    1. Go to "File" and select "Site Properties". Your site should be "Fluid width".
    2. Go to "View" and check that "Show breakpoints" feature is on.

4. Joe Segal

Joe Segal Member

Are you saying I have to click the white triangles and then plus signs on each breakpoint on every page on my site to have them work in every page that shares the same master?

That doesn't seem right.

When I drag the scrubber to that break point it should let me edit the content in that break point but it doesn't!

Also @Jeremei thanks the site is fluid width and view is set to show breakpoints yes.

Joe

I set the font size to smaller in the small breakpoint then go to the page in the larger

5. Jeremei

Joe!
    If you want see the breakpoints (= numbers) on each page so you should click the plus sign. Of course it is not necessary because breakpoints are there and by clicking triangles the scrubber moves to these breakpoints.
    Remember that Master Page content you can edit only on Master Page and other contents on each page separately in every breakpoint.
    Joe, have you tried to use "Stacks"? They are very easy and handy tools http://www.muse-themes.com/collections/adobe-muse-stacks

6. Jeremei

Joe!
    If you can not edit contents at all so it means that you have locked page items. Go to "Object" and remove locking from those pages which are locked.

7. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Joe, I think what Jeremei is saying,is that in Responsive Muse, when you set a Break point on the Master Page, it doesn't set that break point on your other pages. Muse treats the Master differently in this situation, unlike the old Muse where everything there goes onto the pages you assign the master to.
    The little white triangles on your normal pages are just a visual reminder of where the Master has break points. You can choose to add a similar break point or not depending on your designs structure. This allows greater flexibility in designing your content and your repeating items.
    If you are a Muse themes member, I highly recommend watching our Responsive design video's. Probably the most clear, in depth tutorials out there so far. This very topic is covered in it's own video in the series.
    Dj

8. Joe Segal

Joe Segal Member

Hi, thanks for your help.
    Ok Dj Herold I understand.

But I think this is not so user friendly in my view.
    I would have prefered that the break points made on the master be on each page and then I could adjust them or disable them per page if I want because I want to have the same break points on each page normally.

However I will learn to use the system as it is and Im working my way through the responsive tutorial yes.
    Thanks
    Joe

9. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Joe, excuse me if I'm a bit confused, but let me say this in case I'm understanding correctly.
    On the Master, you can set Break points (for the content on the Master), those break points are indicated by the white triangle to visually let you know where the Master break points are to give you precise matching control should you decide your "normal" page content requires one at that point. But it's not necessary. The reason they are independent, is to allow you to adjust your Master content (nav's, logo's footer info ect) which may not have any correlation to where your "normal" page content 'Breaks'.
    When you say you can't edit your content on the 'Normal' page (say the home page) because of the Masters break point is where I'm confused. You shouldn't have to create a break point on your Normal page unless the content on THAT page breaks. On your normal page you can never edit anything on your Master page, that hasn't changed.
    If you can give me any more, I will certainly try to help.
    Dj