Solved Can I place an HTML5 file in Muse (originally an .swf file?)

Discussion in 'General Muse' started by spyder, May 14, 2016.

1. spyder

spyder Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    If I create a fairly simple animation in Adobe Animate (formerly Flash), export it as an .swf file, and then use Google Swiffy to convert it to an HTML5 file, is there a simple way to place that file in Muse? When I select 'Place' and I browse to where the HTML5 file is, that file does not appear, so obviously that doesn't work. I see there is 'Object > Insert HTML', but I'm hoping there's a way to place the file on a Muse page so I can see it while placing other elements around it on the web page. I was going to post this in the Widgets section, as there may be a widget for that, but figured I'd try here. I know I can export files from Adobe Animate as video files but I'm hoping I can simply place the HTML5 file on a Muse page. Thank you.

2. Jeremei

Jeremei Well-Known Member

3. spyder

spyder Well-Known Member

Hi Jeremei,
    Thanks for your reply. I was pretty sure someone would recommend those video widgets to my question, but that's definitely not what I'm looking for. I'm just hoping that Muse can allow me to place HTML5 files that were created in Adobe Animate into a Muse page, not inside a video player widget. Some years back I would just embed Flash files (.swf) onto a page in good ol' Dreamweaver and animations would appear on web pages, and I'm trying to do something similar in Muse. But instead of .swf files, place HTML5 files there. So instead of a 'place image' function it would be more like a 'place media object' feature (although it's just an HTML5 file). If this can't be done then I'll have to rethink a lot of things here in regards to placing animations on pages in Muse.

4. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

spyder, not sure but it sounds like you want to do something like this (it's old but is very good).
    You can resize like in the video or like I see others do, just select the HTML box and resize, maybe use a border to make it easier to see).
    I still tend to use a widget, though I'm sure there are many ways to do things.
    Hope this helps
    Dj

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  5. spyder

spyder Well-Known Member

Hi Dj,
    Thanks for your reply. Your answer still requires a video file though (.mp4), I am looking for a way to just insert the HTML5 file created from Adobe Animate. Some of the animations will include interactivity created in Animate so that is why I don't want to just insert a video on the page. So I can only presume that there is still no way to import an HTML5 inside Muse, which is a huge bummer. Thx for your reply, though.

6. Jeremei

Jeremei Well-Known Member

Why you are not using .swf files?
    You can make your animation on HTML5-canvas in Adobe Animate and export it as .swf file and it can be placed straight onto the Muse pages. :)

7. spyder

spyder Well-Known Member

.swf files don't show on all browsers and they don't show on mobiles, .swf files shouldn't be placed on web pages anymore. If there was a way to simply place the HTML5 file from Animate into Muse like I can place the .swf file that would be perfect.

8. DjHerold

spyder, OK, I get it, I had a different idea of what you wanted in mind.
    My suggestion would be to export your Adobe Animate files as .OAM instead, and they would integrate great with Muse.
    Dj

CRAIG likes this.
  9. spyder

spyder Well-Known Member

Hi Dj,
    Thank you for your reply. I had to Google .oam to see what that is haha. So after reading some articles I see it's basically a packaged file that I can import into Muse, like you said, so that's good. I am just presuming that once that's placed in a Muse file and I then export the site as HTML, then the .oam file will work in all browsers and on all mobiles. I was trying to find info on that but couldn't find anything, so I guess I'll have to do some testing. I'm also not sure if I can make the .oam file responsive, or 100% width, but that will come with testing. I'll work on this stuff this week, but hopefully this is the answer I was hoping for. Thank you for taking time on your Sunday to help out, much appreciated!
    Kevin

10. spyder

spyder Well-Known Member

Hi Dj,
    I do have one question: if I place an OAM file into Muse from Adobe Animate, what type of file is that exported as? Will the animation display as a .swf, HTML5, or something else? If you know that would be great. Thanks again.

11. DjHerold

spyder, first off, let me say I'm not an expert on this, but like all my Muse ventures, I know a little, just enough to be dangerous.
    I'm including a link to an Adobe mini tutorial in case you haven't seen this (this tut is for both Dreamweaver and Muse).
    As I understand it, Animate CC (just like Edge Animate before it died) can produce an OAM file. This file I believe is a combo file that includes HTML, CSS, and JS. So, I think to your question it places those files but it does not include SWF files.
    Although I'm not schooled in Animation (again I can hurt myself), this is what I intend to use with Muse in that circumstance.
    I think the more you look into OAM use and Muse, I think it shows Adobe is planning for it's use in Muse applications.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Dj

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/how-to/export-oam-files-animate-website.html