BUILD: Fixed width doesn´t work for all smartphones :(

Discussion in 'Templates' started by Janne, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Janne

Janne Well-Known Member

I generated a website with Build because of its fixed width as I wanted to be sure it works on all screens. So far my tests went well, but now I hear that it doesn´t work on Samsung Galaxy (360px). A quick test on Screenfly shows me that the site doesn´t work on 320, 375, 480 and 600px either. :( What can I do?

This is the site in question: www.bauflock.de

Clueless,
    Janne

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Janne, could you explain a bit more on what "doesn't work"?
    I would strongly recommend testing on one or two of your questionable sizes on a device that size, rather than an emulator.
    There often is a great difference.
    Thanks
    Dj

3. Janne

Janne Well-Known Member

Hi Dj,
    on Samsung Galaxy text is pushed under the images, as you can see in the screenshot and the hamburger menu isn´t centered. The other screen sizes on Screenfly "only" show some white space on the right and a de-centered menu
    I know that it´s best to test a site on a real device – but how am I supposed to do this? Most of my family and friends use iPhones, as do I. With so many devices out there it´s nearly impossible to test all. What strategy would you recommend?

Working with clients and earning money with building websites, it´s crucial for me that my products are perfect. This is why I sometimes wonder whether Muse is such a good idea after all. My coder of course says NO. When I struggle with those device problems, I tend to believe him ...

Thx, Janne

161222_Screenshot–Bert.png

4. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Janne, OK, let's look at something. If you haven't already, I'd like you to go into Muse design mode, and shrink the size of your view down so you can see all around the design (especially on the right).
    Go to edit, select all, and check all around the right side of the design and make sure that there isn't anything (widget controller, video, any element that extends (even a pixel) out side the design on the right.
    Usually when you find something sliding like your site, it's because of this. Muse will interpret an element off the right side as part of the design.
    Now, on my Android, I can see the menu is off center, but I don't see it going under the other items. For me it's sliding down as it should.
    The is a known bug with Adobes Accordion widget on Androids using Chrome, and Adobe is saying they will fix in a next release. But that is primarily with the Menu not staying open after tapping it.
    To your question about the devices, I totally understand. I was only pointing out that sometimes you won't see the true issues or behaviors on an Emulator. A lot of the customers I work with have gotten very used to using them and they tend to rely on they solely.
    With the number of devices out there, you could never have all the different screen sizes ect., but I have always found it a good habit (if you can) to have I-devices and an Android device.
    Let me know what you find.
    Dj

5. Janne

Janne Well-Known Member

I had already checked my canvas, as I know this is the main reason for a content slide. There isn´t any object. I did it again in order to make you a screenshot (see below).

To me the right slide is not the big issue. What really bothers me, is the screenshot of my friend who wrote me that the text would be "a mess" on several points. And this should not occur! I think I will create a breakpoint on 360 px and fix it, but it leaves me with an odd feeling as I can´t be sure what my site shows on other devices ...

About the menu – well, I hope it will be fixed.

Thx for trying to help,
    Janne

Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-11 um 20.22.11.png

6. Janne

Janne Well-Known Member

@Dj: I fixed bp 360 and I understand now, why the site drifts at those other small breakpoints – it´s because of the accordion menu! When I added the new breakpoint, I saw that the drop down menu went beyond 360 px. This is why it wasn´t centered and of course this is why the content drifted. So when Screenfly shows my drop down menu out of centre on certain screen sizes, then yes, the content will drift accordingly ...

Any idea how I could fix this? Perhaps via code?

Thx again for helping out!
    Janne