Broken Widget: Media does not appear.

Discussion in 'Connect - CSV Widgets' started by WillAbbottDesign, Aug 17, 2017.

1. WillAbbottDesign

WillAbbottDesign Member

Whenever I go to see my changes I have this happen. [See "Nothing Loads" screen shot]
    I have followed the video instructions to the letter. I copied the Muse Spreadsheet Content > made my own by changing one image (having it hosted on Image Safe) > Published to web as a CSV file > placed the ID into the Content area > then nothing works.

I even took the ID from Muse's own Spreadsheet Content example and placed that in and got the same result.

Thoughts? Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Will, just t make sure we are on the same page, I'd like to clarify some terminology if you don't mind.
    When you say "I copied the Muse Spreadsheet Content", can I assume you mean you opened the Google spreadsheet (for the content), and then made you own copy?
    You then added an image (leaving the defaults?), and then published the copy you made to the web.
    You then placed the ID into the content area of the widgets loader and this is what happened. Correct?
    Let me ask, when you placed the original default spreadsheet back into the widget, there was nothing still?
    What happens when you place the default widget on a new blank page, do you see anything?
    Sorry for all the questions but I'd rather ask then guess.
    Dj

3. WillAbbottDesign

WillAbbottDesign Member

Yes. Like in the video tutorial I went into File > Make a copy... > made the copy > changed the "img_thumb_src" and "img_src" > File > Publish to web... > changed "Web Page" to "Comma-separated Values" > Publish. Then placed the ID into the content area of the widgets loader > Preview Page in Browser > and broken.

Just tried your suggestion. Tried it in a new page within my current project. Tried it in a new page in a new project.

One thing I am noticing. When I go back into File > Publish to web... > I have to change "Web Page" to "Comma-separated Values" again! Like it didn't stick even though it says Publishing. It doesn't stay as a csv.

The ID for the out of the box Musse widget for Gallery Connect Slider- Default is:
    1-MY3naMOEUaiCHXxbToUKece34nWiYOisF9J985JH1A
    And that totally works.

When i click ">> Google Sheets Content Template" in the widget it takes me to the spreadsheet but the ID is different:
    1-p2eoXO9aKyHYO_R9BK0Fmc5pMzoGZyRi-f_F7KzI54

If I take out the out the ID of the "out of the box" version and input that where that jumplink takes me to. The widget breaks when previewing it in a browser.

I'm in Muse 2017.0.4.8 CL 805099

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  4. DjHerold

Will, sorry for so many questions but things aren't clear to me.
    Are you saying you are using the google sheets, changing the sheet to a CSV and then placing that into the ID box?
    If you are wanting to use a local CSV, you need to modify the CSV template that comes with the widget, and place that in the CSV area, not the box. (see my screen shot).
    Let me know
    Dj

Capture.JPG

5. WillAbbottDesign

WillAbbottDesign Member

Even local CSV files are not working.

6. WillAbbottDesign

WillAbbottDesign Member

"Are you saying you are using the google sheets, changing the sheet to a CSV and then placing that into the ID box?"
    Yes, I am. And it does not work. Please keep asking questions. We'll figure this out. :)

I'm also saying that when I change the sheet to CSV it doesn't stay that way. I change it, but then go back into "Publishh for web..." to make sure it changed but it goes back to saying "Web Page" and not "CSV". Very odd.

7. DjHerold

Will, the reason the ID's are different between the default widget (it has been modified for the demo) and the Spreadsheet you get with clicking on the lower sheet link (non modified and for general use, where the default cannot be accessed without permission).
    Could I see your modified Spreadsheet?
    Thanks
    Dj

8. WillAbbottDesign

WillAbbottDesign Member

Added the modified CSV. Only the top image has been changed. All else it what i copied from Muse.

Attached Files:

9. DjHerold

Will, let me look at this, I have a few things I want to test.
    Dj

10. WillAbbottDesign

WillAbbottDesign Member

Here is the "Publish to web..." issue as well. I keep having to change it to "Comma-separated values (.csv)" but it never stays as that. It keeps going back to "Web page". Is that supposed to happen?
    WebPage_NotCSV.png

11. DjHerold

Will,
    I had one of my colleagues test it also, and found that using the IMgsafe Images, the widget is not excepting them, and we have had issues with them (img safe) going down.
    Could you try another test using something like Imgur.com or one of the other methods of hosting an image (dropbox, on the actual site ect.
    Let me know.
    Dj

12. WillAbbottDesign

WillAbbottDesign Member

Sure. I have dropbox. Where do I go to get that images ID? Thanks.

13. DjHerold

14. DjHerold

Will, the dropbox instruction is at about the 6 min mark
    Dj

15. WillAbbottDesign

WillAbbottDesign Member

So close. I briefly saw the image that I want but then this happened. The whole widget loaded up but then had an error.
    CloseButError.png

16. DjHerold

And this was using Dropbox?

17. DjHerold

With the 0 changed to 1?

18. WillAbbottDesign

WillAbbottDesign Member

19. WillAbbottDesign

WillAbbottDesign Member

Alrighty. Got it to work. Apparently I had another of the same widget on the page with the same Widget Unique ID. This was making it not load but now it all works and I'm so happy. Thank you for all your help. I hope this is the only issue I come across. I think it all boiled down to using ImageSafe and that NOT being a good idea. Thanks again.

20. WillAbbottDesign

WillAbbottDesign Member

It's fixed! See previous post. Thanks again.