Solved Better instructions for adding more than ONE Pushy Pane

Discussion in 'Pushy Panes' started by Primal Atom, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Primal Atom

Primal Atom Member

Hi!

A lot of people are asking this question and the official response keeps repeating the same answer (have you duplicated everything? Including the open button?).

BTW, Your current video DOES NOT SHOW ALL PARTS BEING DUPLICATED!

PLEASE...
    CORRECT your video... and while you're at it, show the example all the way through with 2 (TWO) Pushy Panes activated.

MEANWHILE...
    Do you duplicate all pushy panes parts from the intial one dragged onto page, or do you simply drag a new widget onto the page?

I have the same issue of only ONE pane working (or maybe BOTH are Firing) when trying to add my 2nd Pushy Pane. Regardless, I DO NOT get 2 pushy pane actions... just one.

... and yes, I have duplicated ALL parts.

THANKS!

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Primal, sorry that this widget seems to be frustrating you so much, it's not our intent to drive you crazy.
    When I've stated you need to dup[licate 'everything', I was referring to the question about the open button if I remember correctly.
    In the video ( and we will update them from time to time, if most users are having an issue with a widget, which hasn't been the case so far with this one) Steve clearly states that if you want to have more than one, you will need to duplicate at least the controllers for both parent and child. My point in another conversation was the open button. Like all "Custom" buttons in all widgets, if you don't use the default, you will need to also 'duplicate the open button'. This is standard with anything that requires a graphic style. If you don't then the widget does not know which pane to open, so it will choose one.
    In the video Steve doesn't go through all that because it's a pretty common item and the widget does have a default open that does not need a separate 'Graphic style'.
    To your other question, you can have multiple panes, and if they are functioning that may be some other problem if you have duplicated and "Named" all the part correctly.
    I hope this is a bit clearer. If not, just ht me back and I'll try to help as much as possible.
    Dj

3. Primal Atom

Primal Atom Member

@DJ... Thanks for your prompt reply.

Yah... I'm missing something to make this work properly. And seriously, I am no MUSE neophyte. But this is my first time trying to use a 3rd-party widget, so I may be missing something very basic.

ISSUE
    Getting ONE pane to work is no problem. However, when I try to add a 2nd pane, it simply does not work. [Again, it would be great if your tutorial video worked the example through completion of 2 (TWO) panes... He copies the 2 controllers (but no 2nd button) and stops there.]

NOTE: Not worrying about custom buttons...

Here's what I have done, see if you can spot where I went wrong:
    IMAGE 1
    Shows YOUR tutorial... Just duplicated controllers, no 2nd button. This is the END of your tutorial.
    QUESTION: How can you open a discrete 2nd pane if you only have ONE button?

IMAGE 2
    SHOWS my adding 2nd set of controllers, but WITH copied button.
    Note the settings for the 2 controllers are all marked with the append "2"

IMAGE 3 & 4
    Shows how I styled Parent 1 (Red) and Parent 2 (Green)
    Not sure if this is right to create and assign styles to that widget box, but I don't see how else one would have different panes.
    Also, Parent 1 is set to come in from right and Parent 2 from bottom.

NOTE 1: I have relabeled all of the Child settings with the append "2".
    NOTE 2: I have NOT changed the 2nd button graphic style.

IMAGE 5
    Launch State ("State Button" set to "Child 1 Graphic Style").

IMAGE 6
    Both buttons create the same result when operated, i.e., they open Pane 1 settings. Nothing for the 2nd pane.

I noticed this by accident... Leaving the state button set to "Child 2 Graphic Style"
    IMAGE 7
    Launch State ("State Button" set to "Child 2 Graphic Style").
    (Note how the Child Content is present before pushing any buttons.)

IMAGE 8
    Again, BOTH buttons create the same result. But now we only see my 2nd widget settings (Green coming in from bottom, with the additional error of the OVERLAY over ALL the page. When you click once, overlay disappears, and then can access close button. Again Child content is persistent.

Hope that helps you understand what I am doing.

Thanks for your help.

2016-01-10_13-10-02.png 2016-01-10_13-22-34.png 2016-01-10_13-26-38.png 2016-01-10_13-27-45.png 2016-01-10_13-53-44.png 2016-01-10_13-54-04.png 2016-01-10_13-54-25.png 2016-01-10_13-54-44.png

4. DjHerold

Primal, ok we're close. I can talk to the team about the video, but try this. As you show in image 3, you have a child and a child2, you have a parent, and a parent2. Great, but you only have an open, and a close. Try adding a graphic style to the open and close of the second pane.
    Remember as I said earlier, "Like all "Custom" buttons in all widgets, if you don't use the default, you will need to also 'duplicate the open button'. This is standard with anything that requires a graphic style. If you don't then the widget does not know which pane to open, so it will choose one.".
    Try that and let me know.
    We'll get it working for you.
    Dj

5. Primal Atom

Primal Atom Member

Hey DJ,

I think we have a semantics issue. Please see the attached where I have LABELED EACH PART.

You said:
    Try adding a graphic style to the open and close of the second pane
    I'm really not sure WHAT you are referring to here. What 2nd Pane? Panes have Open and Close???

I guessing now, what you call "Open Button" is what I refer to as "Child Pane"???

I'm terribly sorry that I'm being so dense, but we're just not speaking the same language.

Hopefully, by labeling the parts, and referring to them in that way, we can clear this up.

Thank you for your patience... I am not a neophyte to MUSE, but have never used 3rd party widgets, so this is foreign to me.

2016-01-10_13-26-38.png - Rick

6. DjHerold

Primal, no worries at all, we all go through this, and I'll be the first to admit that sometimes I may be taking things for granted also.
    Look at your Graphic Styles panel. You have a graphic Style for parent and parent1, child and child1 but you only have a graphic style open and close...NO open1 and close1. Remember that every component of any widget that requires a graphic style, if duplicated will need an additional graphic style to differentiate it from the first.
    Once you do this and add the graphic style name INSIDE the second appearance of the widget, I'm confident it will work and you will have what you're looking for.
    DJ

7. Pixelpurveyor

Pixelpurveyor New Member

@DjHerold

I'm in need of your help
    I followed step by step, the tutorial video. I have the first panel working fine.
    For some reason, the second panel is acting up! I have duplicated every widget element from the first panel and applied a graphic style to each and every one of them.
    so this is what I have: pane1, parent, child, open, close - - pane2, parent1, child1, open1, close1

So, what I end up with is the pane2 content floating somewhere on the middle of my page, and parent1 appearing at it's default widget size in pane2. Please see image.

What am I missing?
    Can you help me?

Attached Files:

8. DjHerold

Pixel, to be honest, your screen shots aren't showing me how you're set up. I see your Graphics Styles panel, and that looks good, but I would need to see your fly outs also. Mainly because what you are describing is a mis match of styles, maybe a typo.
    Another thing, this widget although I think it will work fine in the pre release, really can't be used yet. We are still in the testing mode and do not know if this is an issue yet.
    Let me see some fly outs and if you could, explain the other two screen shots. It's probably just me, but I'm knowing what I am seeing.
    Thanks
    Dj

9. MattH

MattH Member

Hello, I'd like to add a +1 for an update on the video tutorial to show this.

When I add a second pane (with everything copied), both buttons launch both panes to come in at the same time.

When I create additional graphic styles to make the two panes independent, nothing works at all.

I can upload some screenshots but can you tell me what you need to see first please?

Evan Studio likes this.
  10. MattH

MattH Member

Even without creating/copying a second pane, simply changing the names of the graphic styles and corresponding parent/child links stops the widget from working.

11. DjHerold

MattH, let's see if I can make this a bit easier. Bare with me if I cover some things you already know, so that some users that aren't up to speed can follow.
    First, lets do this. Start a new blank site/page. Drag the widget onto the page. Place it on the left side of the canvas as shown in image 1. You'll notice that the graphic styles are already populated.
    In Image 2 you can see the Fly out and the corresponding Graphic Styles inside it (the child fly out is similar and has the 'Child' Graphic Style). Also, notice that the Fly out has a 'Unique ID (in this case Pane1). The same goes for the Child fly out.
    Now, let's drag a new version of the widget onto the right side of the page (I'm doing this to simplify things), as shown in Image 3.
    You'll notice that the Graphic Styles remain the same. If you were to Preview in Browser, you'll see two Open buttons and both will get you the same results. BUT, if you open the fly out of the second widget and just change the direction from right to left, you'll see that clicking one Open button will trigger two panels to operate at the same time. This is not what I'm looking for but shows how changing an item can start to affect major change.
    In image 4 you can see I've changed some colors and I have changed the major components Graphic Styles (secondopen, secondclose, secondparent, secondchild....no spaces or odd characters. I even stayed away from child1 parent1 ect.).
    I also changed the unique ID.
    Now preview in browser and you should see each open will trigger a panel, one from the right and one from the left.
    Try matching my settings and see if it helps.
    Dj

image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG image4.JPG

12. MattH

MattH Member

Thanks for your help but this still isn't working. I've followed your instructions to the letter but I'm getting very different results.

Having two instances of the widget with the same set of graphic styles does what it should to - triggers both with either button.

But, as soon as I start assigning different graphic styles, things start to go wrong. I'm duplicating each of the graphic styles and renaming them with the prefix of 'second' and then to assign each part I select the part and then click the graphic style. This causes some of the parts to change colour, which makes no sense to me as they're being assigned a copy of the original style so shouldn't change at all.

Then, when I type in the details into the options box to match yours, the parent panel becomes unable to generate a thumbnail and the resulting preview is exactly the same view as I get in the Design page and nothing works at all).

Here's a screenshot of everything set up as in your post but looking different...

I'm pretty new to Muse so there must be something simple I'm missing out on :/

Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 12.35.44.png

13. MattH

MattH Member

Right, I think I've cracked it with all your help. I'd given the controllers a graphic style too, which seemed to stop them from working. As soon as I picked a style of [none] they all worked. Thank you!

Now I'm just trying to get the buttons to look like the demo version - do I need to start a new thread for that?

14. Shirlate

Shirlate New Member

Hello Matth, can you put a screenshot please ? Because it's not working for me

15. MattH

MattH Member

Hi Shirlate, If you follow DjHerold's instructions above my post exactly then it should work. If it doesn't then I'm not the best person to ask for advice :/

16. DjHerold

Shirlate, give my instructions above a try and see how that works for you. If you need further help, just let us know.

MattH, glad things are working for you. The issue with assigning a graphic style to the controllers happens a lot, no worries. Just always keep in mind to never give any widget controller a GS, just the objects like the buttons and panes ect.
    The nice thing about this widget (and a bunch of our newer ones, is the controller shows the Graphic Style assigned on the controller.
    (See your 'Secondchild' controller, you see how it's says it's name on the controller.

Good luck, and have fun.
    Dj

17. clint

clint New Member

After following the instructions and changing all style to the appropriately renamed styles (copied from the originals), I am noticing that the name is not updating in the Parent and Child widgets and thus my 2nd "OPEN" button is triggering both panes to fly out. Any ideas?
    I have renamed to match your images: secondopen, secondclose, secondparent, secondchild....yet the 2nd set of Widgets still say:
    Parent Graphic Style: parent
    Child Graphic Style: child

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  18. DjHerold

Clint, from what I'm seeing, it looks like you've given the widget controller a graphic style.
    That's a no no.
    Remove that from the controller and try again. You may have to re name the second parent again.
    Dj

19. clint

clint New Member

I cleared that but that did not help. Any idea why the controllers will not reflect the true assigned Graphic Style name?

20. clint

clint New Member

no matter what is in the Parent Pane Graphics Style field (on the controllers flyout) it will say "parent".
    Same with the child....