Solved Best hamburger menu to use to display child pages?

Discussion in 'General Muse' started by Sarah, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I'm creating a very large site with some deep navigation (child pages). Could someone advise me on the best mobile menu to use, that will automatically include and show the child pages when someone clicks on the main menu item?

I have used and love the Dropdown List, but need something that works dynamically (e.g: don't have to manually enter the sub-page info).

Is there such a thing?

Thank you!

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Sarah, one way is to use an accordion style menu set up.
    Take a look at our Mobile Menu Accordion Menu. Inside it, it has a standard Muse dynamic menu. You can set this up and style it for your design. This is probably the most common fashion for what you're describing.
    Hope this helps
    Dj

Sarah likes this.
  3. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Hi DJ,
    Thanks for your reply. I did try this but, unless I'm missing something, I don't see any of the child/sub-pages, only the main nav. Am I missing something?

Thank you!

4. DjHerold

Sarah, if you didn't, you need to set the menu type to "All Pages". It's default is top level pages.
    Dj

5. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Hello again,

I do have the main menu set to "All Pages". I'm using the "Mobile Menu - Classic Accordian" with it. I'm seeing the top level pages, but not the sub. I have tried hovering over with mouse, and also touching (I have a touchscreen computer). Screenshot below showing standard desktop nav and then mobile menu beneath.

I know I must be doing something silly....

Thanks DJ!

upload_2016-6-6_13-13-58.png

6. DjHerold

Sarah, not sure what's happening. Attached are my very basic screens. Where I have circled in red, are my child pages on the normal Muse design page. The other shot id of my Plan page.
    Dj

Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG

7. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Hi DJ,

Thanks for hanging in with me.

I see your child pages on the screenshot but is that on the regular Muse menu (displayed vertically) as opposed to on your actual hamburger accordian menu? Perhaps not? I am perplexed. I created a new dummy site to try it again to no avail. The regular Muse menu displays with child pages, the mobile menu does not. I must be doing something daft. Are the child pages showing up on yours even in design mode?

A workaround, I suppose, would be to add a second regular Muse menu, displayed vertically, on the mobile breakpoints...but I'd like to figure out what's going on here.

8. DjHerold

Sarah, I placed the widget onto the page, I changed the settings to show all pages and adjusted the size to stay inside the accordion.
    The blank test child pages were just set up as normal and the menu picked them up.
    You are using the 'Classic Accordion Menu' (mobile), correct?
    Dj

9. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

DJ, on my Classic Accordion Menu V1/-, there is no "show all pages" option. That option is only on the standard Muse menu widget, which I do have selected.

Here's a screenshot of the regular Muse menu, the Mobile Classic beneath it with the blue arrow clicked for options, and then on the right screen how it looks, showing main pages but no sub/child pages.

I know I'm going to be embarrassed at any moment when you point out the obvious!

upload_2016-6-6_15-13-1.png

10. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Oh s#$! I see it now. So sorry for wasting your time. I needed to click beneath on the actual menu items to get the "show all pages option."

Ugh! Sorry DJ. Tail is between legs.

The only slight thing that I hope to be able to tweak is to get the child pages to show up beneath the main headings, instead of to the side, as it might take up too much real estate on a mobile layout.

11. DjHerold

Sarah, no worries, glad you found what you needed.
    Dj

12. asifnm

asifnm Well-Known Member

Sarah: It is quit easy to create a menu for what you want. Create an accordion as usual, then instead of using the built in menu widget you create your own menu buttons using a simple text box, place the text boxes in the accordion where you want it and link to where you want to. Then create another accordion menu and again add text boxes for the sub-pages you want to link to, then place this accordion inside the first accordion in the position you want it. You can see a quick demo here http://www.cloudwebagency.com/websites/menu/index.html

13. JoeDiffDez

JoeDiffDez New Member

Is it possible to set on what side of the menu you'd like the child pages to appear? As I have it now, the hamburger menu flush right, and the child pages also appear to the right and end up off canvas. I was forced to move the menu to the center of the page to make it stay on the canvas. Any suggestions?