Article Connect - Feedback & Requests Thread

Discussion in 'Connect - CSV Widgets' started by Steve Harris, Jan 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin DuCommun

Kevin DuCommun Developer Staff Member

Heya @gekjr

The widget will display all posts that are present in the spreadsheet. It has a setting in the panel allows you to set the amount of posts to show per page and has pagination so that you can go back and view previous posts in the leading list. You can also use the search widget, which searches through all posts in the spreadsheet, and shows the matches.

2. Brandon

Brandon Widgetsman Staff Member Advisory Group

I may not be understanding what you mean entirely, but the widget is fairly self-contained in terms of the archiving of posts. So if you've got 35 posts for example, and you need to view the 1st post (the oldest), you would just use the pagination to go there.

EDIT: Kevin beat me to the punch there!

3. @gekjr

@gekjr Active Member

Alright Brandon, Last one, saw the 1 for older post. So, Is the widget mobile friendly? It's bahaving badly at the moment, title header and video embeds are not scaling down. I will DM you a link.

4. DerekH

DerekH New Member

Great looking widget! ... Is there a chance that the photo and headline (on the listing page) could be linked to the post?

(I could see setting up a Google webform to populate the spreadsheet .. as long as the webform uses the same named fields, in the same order, it would fill in the sheet and be easier to add posts ... ) ... maybe the widget could later add custom fields ... in the Muse widget, you create a field_name, and then add it to you sheet ... then the added content would show up ...

If you re-aarange the columns, does that effect how it appears in the post? For instance, if I want the byline to be before the story, how could I do that?

How is the SEO for these posts?

Thanks!

5. Ritchieb

Ritchieb Active Member

Sorry guys, i think i have lost you with the "connect series". I really don't understand who you serve with them.

I think there are two kinds of Muse users. The ones who build their own sites and the ones who build sites for clients. And I think the last one is the majority for Muse is too expensive to buy for only personal use.

But the ones who build their own sites don't need such a complicated way of putting text and images into their sites cause they can do that very easily in Muse itself.

So that leaves us with the ones who are building sites for clients. There is a lot of (even cheap) competition in web building so I think that if we as "Muse designers" want to keep up, we need a friendly approach of blog usage. This is not sellable to whichever client. Sorry to say so but i just want to be honest. Next to the fact that it is too complicated, you even mention in the sample movie that it's better not pulling content in from google documents because of the loading time. Your advice is to use local css files. But again, that advice is only for Muse users their own sites and i don't see the need of this hassle when one can type in text and put in images super easily in Muse itself.

Maybe it's my fault for not seeing what kinda of purpose you guys are pursuing with this connect series so i hope someone can explain it to me for (to end with the title) i really don't understand the use.

6. Patriks Zvaigzne

Patriks Zvaigzne New Member

The only 3. things to be perfect!
    1.Would it be able to add a gallery/slideshow inside an article when you open it.
    2.Sorting by tags, but as I understand it's already on its way.
    3.Picture thumbnail with title on rollover.

7. Barbara Ingram

Barbara Ingram New Member

Steve,
    I love this widget, but there is no way my clients will be willing to go through this to make posts, which means they will have to use us to post. They can write their blog in a Word doc and email it to us. They can barely figure out Tumblr. It's quite amazing really. These are people who are used to WordPress, so they are starting off somewhat hostile because IBE doesn't work the same way and has more limitations. Adding this to the mix would put them over the edge. That being said, I still love it and plan to use it and give them the option of paying us a monthly fee to manage their site and their blog.

8. Steve Harris

Steve Harris Museologist Staff Member Moderator

I suspect the YouTube embed could just be cleaned up a bit to better support responsive. Wrapped in some sort of full width div perhaps – we'll let Kev the Dev reply on that one.

Is the title just getting cut off because the word is too long? There's no scaling applied to those right now, so long words could definitely wrap and look weird. We can investigate adding some responsive sizing!

9. Steve Harris

Photo / headline linking is a good idea and something on our planned upgrade list. We're just looking for a good way to achieve it within the spreadsheet.

Re: Custom spreadsheets / forms, that's actually part of the reason why we decided not to call this "Content Connect" as we originally planned. That custom field setup is a really interesting idea and something we're planning to investigate after our next Connect widget (which is for tables).

Rearranging columns unfortunately will not control ordering. The arrangement is all done in Muse (the spreadsheet is just the content source) but it is something we could explore. Perhaps an option in the presets that controls a different arrangement.

Re: SEO these posts should be pretty good. They have unique / custom URL's, good searchable text content and page titles built in. There are a probably a few areas we can improve it (image alt tags, custom meta descriptions) but those would add more fields to the spreadsheet.... and we didn't want to overwhelm on V1.

Cheers!

10. Steve Harris

Hey Ritchie,

Thanks for the comment!

I do agree that opening Muse for quick changes isn't so bad, but in my experience creating a system like this in Muse manually is a heck of a lot of work. I've had a few client sites that needed frequent updates (new content showing up at the top) and I found the process of moving all my existing stuff out of the way, building new pages, and republishing 8,000 times a huge hassle. With Article Connect you can make a tweak to an existing post or create a new one in seconds from anywhere (or any device), instant publish, consistent formatting, etc. It feels a little more like a dynamic website should, where it uses a template to generate the new page / content.

With that said, I totally understand not presenting this to clients as an option for content management. We were surprised to find in our latest survey that a huge portion of CMS needs of our member base was actually for the designer themselves to make changes to content rather than clients. So Article Connect in it's current form may not be a super client friendly solution, but there's lots of room for us to improve this system and perhaps add a friendly UI in front of the spreadsheet generation setup.

Before investing those many 100's of hours into development though we wanted to get feedback from you guys, and use that to guide our future efforts...

Many thanks!
    SH

11. Steve Harris

Hey Barbara! Totally understand, thanks for your comments. Moving from such a powerful open ended system like Wordpress back to Muse IBE is a huge step backwards for the clients in terms of their control. I suppose they don't realize it's a huge improvement for the designer and their ability to custom style and control layout.

Perhaps you could have them create their posts right in Google Docs instead of emailing a word doc. Then you can just quickly link it up to the spreadsheet using the GDoc system in article connect.

If there's a big need for it we can lock this widget down a little bit and make it much easier for clients. A spreadsheet with 4 cells – title, text content, date, author, done. We'd have to limit you to a couple of different layouts we predesigned, but perhaps that doesn't matter. We're open to it... tell us what you need and we'll give it a shot!

12. Jeremei

Jeremei Well-Known Member

Steve!
    Maybe now it is the great opportunity to publish multipurpose Online Magazine template by taking advantage of this widget? :)

13. Kevin DuCommun

Kevin DuCommun Developer Staff Member

The content html field will accept a whole lot of different elements, so its hard for us to anticipate what all will end up in there and provide responsive css rules for those elements. However, we can definitely add in rules for common things like video embeds as well as fine tune the font scaling and wrapping.

14. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

I got the youtube width to always be responsive but not the height: http://tro-design.com/article.html#...roscopy-at-umass-medical-school-grand-opening

15. Ritchieb

Ritchieb Active Member

@Steve Harris

Hi Steve,

First of all thanks for your answer. I'm surprised that a lot of clients want to have a cms for themselves rather then for clients. But hey, you surveyed it, so I believe you. But let me then speak out the hope that one day you guys come up with a cms/ blogging system for clients for my clients want to have a bit of control over their site and don't want to mail me with every single change in text or image. Therefor I sometimes had to revert to Wordpress which I hate because as a designer you don't have a lot of freedom in that application.

Have you ever had a look a the blogging solution which QooQee offers with their QooQee Muse Blog widget? I hope you guys can make something like that someday. Your overall styling and simplicity is always better but I have to say that their way of having a backend on the site itself in which clients can login is really nicely done and for me the way to go.

Hopefully you can offer us (me) something similar one day so that we as designers have all the freedom to design a website and clients have the freedom to put their content to the site. I think only then we as Muse users can truly compete with lots of other web building sites/applications.

Kind regards,
    Richard

16. Lambeth

Lambeth Member

I think Article Connect is going to be great and I'm super excited about it. Great work!!

I have to agree with Barbara and a few others that this might be too tough for some clients.
    Almost 15 years ago now we designed a web site for a client who needed to input news articles multiple times a day. Since then the client has posted close to 70,000 stories.
    We break the story input into 3 cells, Story Title, Short Description, Story Body. They client can also select the story to be Live, Archived, or Hidden (or draft). This was accomplished by our server admin who is also a database programer. Everything around this is done in Dreamweaver.
    Over the last 2 years we have been moving all of our client sites to Muse. We still have a handful of sites that use this News database I describe and we have been struggling to move them to the Muse platform. I have looked at Mumblr but ideally they just want to write their articles in Word and copy and paste the document into our database. I think I could get them to switch to Google Docs.

In a reply to Robin you say "One possibility is letting the client create their articles in Google Docs if that's a familiar environment for them. If you have access to a folder where all of their article content is created, you can easily place the Google Doc key into the Article Connect spreadsheet and add new posts, without actually having to even open Muse to republish. This approach does create a better alternative to a totally static approach requiring republishing the client site every time they need an update. “
    I think my client could adapt to GDocs if all they have to do is write it and publish it.
    So could the GDocs be posted on a server and when they post a new story it is automatically displayed?

The existing web site is funded by selling banner spots. Stories are separated by banners. See here http://www.theharnessedge.com
    Is there a way in Article Connect to put in banner graphics that are linked?

thanks
    Jim

17. Jeremei

Jeremei Well-Known Member

Jim!
    Fantastic proposal if there would be also ready / movable places for banners! :cool:

18. Devin

Devin Member

I'd like it if you were above to specify the max height of the widget. I have a complicated setup where I can't exceed a page height of about 1000px (long story).

19. varmac96

varmac96 New Member

Hi Love this widget but it is way MORE than a need I have ..but could it be modified?
    My client just needs to display a list of "headlines" that may or may not be linked to a fuller article. The headlines need to be listed by date -- kinda like this Week in the News thing.

Is there a way to make the widget do that?

Haneadino likes this.
  20. Haneadino

Haneadino New Member

Yes, I also need this: "The headlines need to be listed by date -- kinda like this Week in the News thing" is it possible to do that in this new article widget?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.