Article Connect - Feedback & Requests Thread

Discussion in 'Connect - CSV Widgets' started by Steve Harris, Jan 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Harris

Steve Harris Museologist Staff Member Moderator

Hey Guys!

We released a beta of our new Article Connect widget today (original title was Content Connect) and we're looking for your feedback! This is a biggie – lots of setup options and ways to use it, so we're excited to hear what you think.

https://www.muse-themes.com/products/article-connect

This is just a beta release, and we're planning to do some immediate updates like we did with Gallery Connect next week. So keep those requests coming.

Many thanks!
    SH

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2017
    Haneadino likes this.
  2. timcampbell

timcampbell Member

GOSH DARNNIT! WHY CAN'T BUSINESS CATALYST SUPPORT ANY BLOGGING/NEWS WIDGETS!??

Sorry for the shouting. Frustrated I can never take advantage of the good stuff since I'm using BC.

Haneadino likes this.
  3. Kevin DuCommun

Kevin DuCommun Developer Staff Member

Hello Tim,

Article Connect actually does work perfectly fine in Business Catalyst. You can make use of the Local CSV spreadsheet option, as well as the Google spreadsheet option. The only feature that isn't supported in Business Catalyst is using Google Docs for posts, so if you are on Business Catalyst, you will need to use the HTML content type and place your full post content into the spreadsheet.

4. timcampbell

timcampbell Member

Kevin, you little ray of sunshine... So are you telling me that i can use Article Connect in (I'm about to describe my website workflow);
    I use Muse to make any changes to my site and then republish (hosted in BC). So with this widget, I'd be able to replace the current live BC blog on my site (www.gen.media) with the Article Connect widget and make blog posts via the spreadsheets i insert into BC (I haven't watch the Connect tutorial yet so I assume their is a 'how to' in there)?

Haneadino likes this.
  5. Kevin DuCommun

That's correct, if you have used any of the previous Connect widgets it works pretty much the same way. The video does contain a how to on setting things up, there is a video specifically for the non google doc approach to posts.

6. timcampbell

timcampbell Member

Oh my days. Let me know where I send you flowers.

7. Renée

Renée Member

Because of significant CSS issues with BC and newer versions of Muse I have many of my clients on an older version of Muse. This new Article Connect widget gives an error when I try and use it. I get error - unexpected format #363 - check if a newer version of Muse is available. I can only assume that this only works on the newest versions of Muse, correct?

8. Kevin DuCommun

Yes, that's correct, it's designed for use with the latest versions of Muse

9. RomanWey

RomanWey New Member

10. SPG

SPG New Member

THANK YOU!!!! Have been wanting a widget like this for a long time. Even though it will take a little "learning" I think this will be a really nice addition.

M

11. Kevin DuCommun

Hello,

That demo approach was achieved by setting up a 2 column layout, then having the 1st, 3rd, and 5th content items consist of only a leading image (leaving the title and other content fields blank). This gives it the appearance of a side by side image and content layout. We are looking at adding additional layout options in future updates to allow for layouts like this in a more automatic fashion, but for now you can manipulate the spreadsheet content to create a layout like the split demo.

12. RomanWey

RomanWey New Member

Thank you so much for your help!
    It worked and I am super happy! Have a nice one!

Greetings from snowy Zurich!
    http://romanwey.ch/news.html

Haneadino likes this.
  13. Haneadino

Haneadino New Member

Hi! Are this blog http://www.gen.media/blog done by Article content?

14. Brandon

Brandon Widgetsman Staff Member Advisory Group

Hi @Haneadino,

It looks like the blog you mentioned was not made using Article Connect. The widget actually just came out this morning : )

You could definitely put together a blog that looks like that one using Article Connect though!

Cheers,

15. Haneadino

Haneadino New Member

OK! Thank you so much!! I host all my sites at BC! I hope I can find out to put it on one of my sites !

16. @gekjr

@gekjr Active Member

Hey, @Steve Harris , Any support for videos? Also, to get the Authors in the side bar, is that an input yet. How about getting to older post, beyond what's on the page?

17. Brandon

Brandon Widgetsman Staff Member Advisory Group

Hey @gekjr

You could theoretically drop a video into the article HTML content field (column M in the spreadsheet) using a bit of embed code. Currently, the image fields (leading or full) don't accept videos, so it would have to go into the body of the article. Not sure where you had in mind for the videos.

Here's a super quick and simple demo of articles with videos. Click the read more button on any article to see a video embedded into the body of the article: http://video-test05.businesscatalyst.com/index.html

Here's the bit of code used in the content HTML (just a YouTube embed):
    Code:
    <iframe width="920" height="518" src="[MEDIA=youtube]YJNi7aRwUzU[/MEDIA]" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    And regarding your 2nd question, a sidebar is not actually part of the widget. You could create a sidebar manually in Muse, or perhaps even use Sidebar Connect for a fully dynamic setup.

Hope that helps!

@gekjr likes this.
  18. @gekjr

@gekjr Active Member

@Brandon

Thanks, Once I made the comment I went back and placed a video, and yes you have to place it in the body. Now maybe in a future update can implement (leading or full) a video post, but dropping HTML code seems to work.

On the second point, I meant for the search box and to display Author contribution

19. timcampbell

timcampbell Member

Hi,
    No. I made that blog using what's available in BC (which isn't much).
    I now plan to replace this blog using Article Connect.
    Cheers,
    Tim.

20. @gekjr

@gekjr Active Member

Brandon, Not sure if you saw my comment about being able to view older post. I know you probably can do a search, but will the widget be able to go back to older post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.