Arrangement of Objects in Wireframe Headers

Discussion in 'Wireframes' started by Elizabeth Seney, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Elizabeth Seney

Elizabeth Seney New Member

Hello! First off I'd like to say I LOVE the Wireframe idea and thank you so much for creating these. As a disclaimer I am VERY new to Muse and building my own site using it so if my vernacular is remedial, I apologize and please correct me.

My question:

I'm using Carbon as my main wireframe. In Master A there is a browser filled rectangle right under the menu. I love this as I want to use it as a secondary menu when visitors are in my specific categories.

However, whenever I try to create a menu on TOP of this rectangle, it automatically puts things behind it.

I've attempted to arrange the rectangle (in the Master) to be in the very back (send to back) and arrange the menu (in the specific page) to be in front (send to front) and that doesn't solve the issue.

So I'm stumped. Is there another arrangement setting I don't know about?

I also uploaded a quick video cast to Vimeo here that shows the issue I'm having in case it's difficult to understand from my description. (was just slightly too big to upload, it's 2 min)

Thanks!

Elizabeth

2. Elizabeth Seney

Just as a fast update--while rereading my question I realized I could make a secondary master for my first category of articles and create a menu so that it would show up on all these articles. Thinking that I could arrange objects within the master itself, but it won't allow me to arrange a text box above the rectangle even on the master page. I'm sure I'm doing incorrect and simple, thanks!

3. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Elizabeth, welcome and thanks for posting.
    Muse can be a bit deceiving in the way it handles things as far as layering goes. Most of us are used to PS style layers and in the mode, think of the different pages as 'Folders' if you will.
    Take a look at your layer structure and see where the object you want on top lies within the layer order.
    Remember, when arranging items using to front or to back, that may only be for that specific "Page".
    If possible try moving your object up through the layers panel, rather than by 'Arranging' it.
    If this doesn't help, if you don't mind, maybe a screen shot of your object within the layers panel.
    Thanks
    Dj

4. Elizabeth Seney

Hi Dj,

So until you mentioned layers I didn't even realize that Muse had layers. And yes, I am used to Photoshop layers and am just now trying to reorient my brain towards Illustrator and vector layers which work differently enough to be annoying, lol.

So I think what you are saying is that my Master page is on the top layer, which means that no matter how I "arrange" objects in the individual pages, my Master page objects will always fall on top of everything else.

I believe this also means that if I move my Master page down the layer list then I will be able to put objects in other pages on top of it. Is there anything I need to know before moving that entire master layer down? It seems like I may be messing up other objects...but nothing overlaps so probably not.

-e

5. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Elizabeth, the easiest way to go about this is to (for example) go to the page you want to place an item on.
    Place your item on the page where you want it. Now, open your layers panel and find that item (remember in Muse, you must select the layer AND the square next to it in order to effect change.
    If you item in the top most content, then it should be in front of everything.
    Anything that's on top of it (and in your case Master page) will be on top of your layer. This means you just need to move it above the layer it is being blocked by (remembering you can place an item of one page into a 'Folder" pf another.
    Hope this helps
    Dj