Any way for client to frequently upload a pdf

Discussion in 'All Other Widgets' started by ANTHONY, Oct 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ANTHONY

ANTHONY Active Member

Hi all, I'm trying to find something that will help my client upload a PDF that replaces an old one.

They are a property business and want their vacancy schedule as a pdf download but it changes weekly so they need to be able to upload the revised PDF and when someone clicks the download they only get the latest one.

Is there any way to do this simply?

2. Steve Harris

Steve Harris Museologist Staff Member Moderator

Good question. Unfortunately our Dropzone widget timestamps files, so they won't overwrite one another on each new upload.

You'd need to host the file somewhere else, where the link won't change. Dropbox might work, or potentially any free file hosting service that provides a consistent simple link. I just did a quick google for "free file hosting services" and it looked like there was lots of options. I'm sorry I can't recommend a specific one, but I haven't tested this out (and wouldn't want to mislead you). I'm 100% sure though there is a file hosting service out there that can handle hosting / easy replacement of a PDF.

Let us know what you find!
    Cheers

3. ANTHONY

ANTHONY Active Member

Hi Steve

Thanks a lot for the help. I do use dropbox so will try it on there. Would I just need to keep the filename exactly the same and have that url as a hyperlink to a button in Muse?

Thanks

4. Steve Harris

Steve Harris Museologist Staff Member Moderator

That's correct, keeping the file name the same should force the file to be overwritten, and then your hyperlink in Muse won't need to change. Fingers crossed on Dropbox... I think they keep the same file links even when files are updated. That would be my choice as a start, no question.

5. ANTHONY

ANTHONY Active Member

Thanks Steve, will test it out and let you know.
    Cheers, and thanks for the help and awesome work you guys do.

6. ANTHONY

ANTHONY Active Member

Hi Steve
    I hope you are having a good day - Tested this out with Dropbox and it works like a charm - just upload the new file named exactly the same into the folder with your old one on DB and next time you click your link on your site it downloads the new PDF.

Thanks for the suggestion.