Adding temporary scroll stop/slow down scrolling

Discussion in 'General Muse' started by Anoeek, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Anoeek

Anoeek Member

Hi,

I am working on an animated web page with Edge Animate and Muse, using both the parallax scrolling (advance 1 second every x pixels) and autoplay scroll effects for Edge Animate.

I would like to add a sort of temporary scroll stop to my page. There is a part where, when the user scrolls down, an animation starts playing and I want to make sure the user doesn't accidently scroll past it, missing the animation. Is there a way in which I can temporarily disable the scrolling for the user? For example, place an anchor or something that when they reach the anchor, they have to scroll twice to advance. Or temporarily slow down the amount of pixels the user scrolls further down, when using the scroll wheel?

Any ideas are more than welcome, thanks in advance!

2. DjHerold

DjHerold Moderator Staff Member Advisory Group

Anoeek, I think your idea of using anchors would be easiest. You could place a couple in the same general area to assure your viewer doesn't move past your trigger area. Maybe someone here has some other suggestions.
    Dj

3. Anoeek

Anoeek Member

I am somewhat new to Muse, and I do know about anchors, but only in the way that I can link certain objects to anchors. How would these anchors keep my viewers from scrolling past a certain point?

4. DjHerold

Anoeek, I think what you might want to try is our 'Snap Scroll' widget. The widget provides an effect of moving (scrolling) your page by a simple touch of the users scrolling. The page slides down to a selected (anchor point) part of your page. The widget allows you to choose the time duration it takes to go from one anchor point to another (either fast or slow) and it also allows you (and this is what your looking for) to set the time that elapses before the users can scroll again.
    So basically you could set your scroll between anchors to something smooth and easing, and then set the time before they can scroll again to something long enough that your animation begins (hopefully catching their attention) and then they can't scroll yet so your content then gets ample time to grab them.
    As far as anchors go, they are very easy to use. Take a look at the 'Snap Scroll' widget page in our widgets. You can watch the video about setting it up and see how to use anchors.
    There is a more complex way to go is this doesn't work (but I think it will), and that's with scroll motion effects. If need be, look into those also.
    Hope this helps
    Dj

5. Anoeek

Anoeek Member

Hi Dj,

Thanks! I figured out about the anchors, but didn't know about the widget and the "timer" you can add to the anchors with that. Sounds very promising, like exactly what I need! Thank you very much for your reply, I will go and look into it.

6. Matthew S

Matthew S Member

Hi guys! Chiming in. Maybe you can help me with that I'm trying to do. Is there a way to configure anchors or use a widget to where if a user manually scrolls slightly past a certain anchor point the page will automatically snap back to the last anchor point the user passed. Does that make sense lol?

7. DjHerold

Matthew, if you use the snap scroll widget, your views will slide to the next anchor point and stop there when scrolling. But I don't know of a way to bring them back to an anchor if they pass one.
    Dj

8. Matthew S

Matthew S Member

Thanks DJ! I saw this function on another site. It seemed like if I passed an anchor point, it would snap to the closest one. So if I scrolled more than 50% between anchor points it would snap to the next one..or less than 50%, it would snap back. I wonder how they did that. Maybe it was't developed in Muse.

Thanks again!

Matt

9. DjHerold

Thanks Matt, if you figure it out, let me know.
    Dj

10. Matthew S

Matthew S Member

Hi DJ,
    I'm not a backend guy, if you know what I mean... That's why we love MUSE! With that being said, trying to figure out this manual scroll dilemma... tell me if this is out of the realm for a fix? and or perhaps an improvement.... is there anyway to trigger the auto-direct widget to an anchor point? Correct me if I am wrong, but if that is possible, developers can link the url anchor on a # on the one page or presentation panel with a .1 delay with a manual scroll. Then... users move around like you MAKE them. It's how I think as a designer and business consultant... Problem solved?...or am I dreaming out the pocket? Ever since the recent release of Responsive Muse.. I've been trying to keep my MIND from being blown... because I've spent the last 3 years finding workarounds with all the help of the team at MT.com. I could not have done any of my work and share my visions without the inspiration of your team. I've been a member since the beginning. I've grown with you. Silly of me to not have joined the forum until now.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  11. Matthew S

Matthew S Member

shit.. I see where that won't work...

12. Matthew S

Matthew S Member

13. Matthew S

Matthew S Member

seems like a muse site to me... What am I missing?